Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TO DRESS OR NOT TO DRESS ????

BIG AL

Corvette
2004 Com addition, convertable/INDY Festival Car
Hi guy's...............and gal's
Whats a guy to do? :confused I recently adopted this 04 comm addition and I'm torn between adding dress up aftremarket parts...or leaving her plain !
It all started a few years ago when I found a 71 t-top left in a garage. it was driveable but needed some TLC... My wife was a little worried because my mechinical skills are ,,well let's say limited. I told her "honey,,,,,no need to panic" all it needs is a clutch. This was my first setp into what I call...........
CORVETTE LESSONS 101 :upthumbs
As some of you may know, removing the clutch from an older vette takes a little more that a few retainer clips. Well 4 months and $6000.00 later I had It back on the road. LOOKIN COOL AND RUNNIN FAST. My delmia is that I find myself torn between keeping this one 100% factory stock.............or adding all of the really cool crap that is out there just waiting for me to make this one "ONE OF A KIND"
I've only had this car for about two weeks and have discovered that $1000 bucks here and there for little trinkets is not that hard to do! So give me your thoughts!
DO YA DRESS HER UP ?............... or leve her the way she was made?;shrug

Lemme see your check book . . .

Ah, cool, you're good to go; Mod the crap outta that baby :)

There is a thin line between dressing it up and "aftermarket disease". Tasteful is the key. Avoid overdone.

It all depends on several factors. Do you plan to keep it for a while? Do you like working on it , cleaning, polishing etc.? Or do you just want to drive it?
For me personally when I bought my car I had a specific vision of how I wanted it to look. After 3 years I think I am finally there. The car has everything performance and appearance wise that I had envisioned in my mind. Was it a pain in the ass at times? You bet it was!!!!! Is it as easy to maintain as a stock Vette? No! Being lowered with a body kit requires careful driving or a body man that is a good friend. Jacking the car for oil changes or what ever is a feet in its self. As far a performance mods go does it drive like stock? With 430 rwhp and 3.90 gears it a whole different beast. Is it as reliable as stock? Yep! I'd drive it cross county tomorrow if need be.
All in all decide what you want from the car and how you will use it and enjoy it. I chose a different route with mine and am very pleased with the results and really wouldn't change anything (well maybe a 408 stroker).
Good luck with your modding or with just enjoying your new ride. If you have any questions just shoot myself or any other member here a pm and we'll be glad to help you out!:beer

Tony

When Too Much is.......Too Much

Big Al,
Don't get it overly dressed up. You don't want
it to look gauche.
Remo:cool
bxp22753.jpg

Big Al,
Don't get it overly dressed up. You don't want
it to look gauche.
bxp22753.jpg

That would be a picture of Remo's prom date, everyone. He clearly knows "gauche" when he sees it.
:chuckle

-Patrick

I say dress it up.....but don't overdo it. I added a few things to mine but kept all the orig stuff in case I ever do sell and they might want it stock.:w

I like the original, come from the factory fresh look. I would keep it stock, but repaint everything and make it look new. Now, there is a correct way to do this also. I guess I am talking refurbishing the engine area. Not many chrome extras, but a good clean look. Everything should be clean, no grease dripping off the engine etc.

use the money for gas and drive the wheels off it, go for the fun of driving instead of looks. Personally I'd throw an exhaust on it and one or two subtle mods then just drive it.

yeah....gonna be a costly summer the way gas prices are going up!:eek:hnoes

I like the vette the way it was intended. I've seen vettes at vette gatherings that barely resemble the original. I believe the way it came out of the factory is the classiest look. If you look at the Barrett-Jackson auctions, the cars are original or refurbished to original. Granted they are older models, but they are desirable by collectors. When I see too many mods I think of the kids spending a gazillion of quarters putting mods on their 95 Nissans. It becomes overkill at some point. I say add things that will not take away from the original beauty, but only enhance it.

Ty not to get carried away with the mods and you'll be OK.
Some things are best left alone.
http://www.myspace.com/c6n2fire

I like rear letter accents, and door sill covers, but that's about all I would want on mine. But when it comes to performance stuff, go for it! And save some for new rear tires.:D

I like the vette the way it was intended. I've seen vettes at vette gatherings that barely resemble the original. I believe the way it came out of the factory is the classiest look. If you look at the Barrett-Jackson auctions, the cars are original or refurbished to original. Granted they are older models, but they are desirable by collectors. When I see too many mods I think of the kids spending a gazillion of quarters putting mods on their 95 Nissans. It becomes overkill at some point. I say add things that will not take away from the original beauty, but only enhance it.

Well here's one of the most beautiful C5's on the face of the planet. What's your thoughts on this one?
vette0001.jpg

I like it !

She's long and lean...........every young mans dream...............
I like the ground effects. I cant add them to my car because I know for a fact that my loving wife would find the first parking bump or steep driveway and remove it.:D

thanks for the imput
I have ordered the rear letter accents (chrome)

Its better on gas then my truck is. I got this car to save $$$$ on my summer driving LOL

To each his own, but I find aftermarket add on body parts mostly detract from the carefully designed and integrated shapes that comprise the C5 Corvette. GMs' designers, many of whom are fellow alumni of my college (Art Center College of Design, now in Pasadena, CA) are highly educated, creative and expieranced. A designer always strives for an integrated, cost effective design that appeals to the consumer's eye...and wallet! Good design is good business.

The C4 and C5 generation Corvettes are among the finest (visual) designs GM's Design Staff have ever done, IMhO. Hard to improve on, but selling those parts keeps lil mom and pop operations in business, too....spread the wealth around! LOL! DFO :chuckle

Well here's one of the most beautiful C5's on the face of the planet. What's your thoughts on this one?
vette0001.jpg
The car looks great. The original design has been enhanced and not overly done.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom