Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TO DRESS OR NOT TO DRESS ????

I feel like a "latecomer" to the party (better than early - right?:D), but I have made several changes to the car from the way it rolled off the plant floor. I have a '98 - and as things wore out and got tired looking, I replaced the things with the best quality aftermarket parts I could find.

I replaced the grey wagon wheels with some polished and clear coated iForged wheels, and the tires are Michelin PS2's. The exhaust is a Corsa Pace Car with the pro tips. I have Wilwood rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Bilstein Sport shocks, Hotchkis sways with metal end links, a Z06 spring set, a Vette Essentials custom interior when the driver's seat ripped (I converted to Sport seats at that time with new foam), I have Kewl Smoothies under the hood, a Blackwing, GHL headers that are Jet-Hot coated and SS-Inserts front and rear. I also added the LED Halo taillights, not to mention lots of other little things like gauge rings, Cyberdine Graphics steering wheel and airbag stickers, etc. So I guess I've modded the car pretty extensively.

To those of you that insist that the car be 100% stock as it rolled off the production line - great if that's what you like. If you think that you have a collector car that's going to be worth money someday because you kept it stock - not in your lifetime. There were almost a 1/4 million C5's made.

To those of you that think you can sell your car and get your money back on the mods - you're deluding yourself. Mods are worth almost nothing, unless the buyer wants that stuff.

To each his own - I modded my car to make it look the way I want it. I purposely avoided any body mods (chin spoilers, wings, cannards, etc.) because I don't car for the look. I don't have any fake (or real for that matter) Z06 brake ducts or LS1 emblems that look like the Z06 badge. My taste - if you like it - GREAT!

There is nothing wrong with improving the car. GM had production limitations - in order for them to do the things that many of us have done (upgraded suspension, brakes, exhaust, interiors, stereos, wheels and tires, etc.) the car would cost remarkably more than it did. GM produced a exceptional performance car bargain - but I see it a blank canvas to personalize to my taste, and I have.

So you guys that keep your car stock - if that's what you want - enjoy it! But don't look down your nose at me because I chose to make it mine.:beer

You go boy!! I agree with you totally!! Nice Vette BTW!!

I kind of agree but need more information

Was it registered to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS)? I would say you have one of the Pace Cars used that year at the track, they use a number of them that again is legally registered for the 500 Festible week but not for a full year. Like I said I have been a license plate collector over the years and this is the hardest plate to get a hold of that's for sure; I would even say impossible. Would be cool :cool if you could find the original IMS plate that was used on this car for the race wouldn't it? They pretty much told me all these plates are given to certain people after each race; that is what makes them hard to get.

Bill :w
My Carfax report showed it at 1 mile being prepped at National Car Sales in Indianapolis then at 1413 miles sold at auction to the dealer I bought it from. It was listed at auction as a manufacturers car. So with that I can only assume they used it there. I sure would like to know more

HELP

My Carfax report showed it at 1 mile being prepped at National Car Sales in Indianapolis then at 1413 miles sold at auction to the dealer I bought it from. It was listed at auction as a manufacturers car. So with that I can only assume they used it there. I sure would like to know more
I was able to trace this one back as far as being sold to one of the two dealers that had been assinged to deliver the cars to the track for the event. The next chevy dealer that took possion of the car showed that it had 237 miles on it. I have contacted the IMS historian but after multipal attempts have still not received the info that i'm seeking. ;shrugI was told that the cars were pepaired for the event right at the F1 garage at the Indy MS ?I have also joined the PACE CAR REGISTRY........but no one in that group seems to have any other information on these cars. Other than the ones they own themselves. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a way to get the replacement graphics? can a copy or a duplicate of the original certificate be obtained? ARE THE 2004 "FESTIVAL CORVETTES" THE ONLY ONES IN INDY HISTORY THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED? or restored back to the original graphic package? CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP?:confused

You should be able to run the VIN with the Indiana BMV to see if it was registered to Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS). If you PM me the VIN I have a few contacts with the Indiana BMV and I would see what I can find out; I even have a contact or two at IMS; let me know if I can help. I would guess it was one of the ones used at the Speedway, they have a number of them like I said registered temporarily for the race. Sure would be cool to find the Speedway liscense plate that was used on it but I think that would be tough to find or if you need to obtain. Most of the "Pace Cars" they used were sold through area dealers, and the liscense plates were given to certain people from what I can find out.

You should be able to run the VIN with the Indiana BMV to see if it was registered to Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS). If you PM me the VIN I have a few contacts with the Indiana BMV and I would see what I can find out; I even have a contact or two at IMS; let me know if I can help. I would guess it was one of the ones used at the Speedway, they have a number of them like I said registered temporarily for the race. Sure would be cool to find the Speedway liscense plate that was used on it but I think that would be tough to find or if you need to obtain. Most of the "Pace Cars" they used were sold through area dealers, and the liscense plates were given to certain people from what I can find out.

That is the coolest, on-point connection I've witnessed on this site thus far. WOW!!! Perhaps its just easy to impress a newbie. Nevertheless, Droptop, follow the yellowbrick road! Kudos, Hdaddy!

Bill
Keep in mind that this was not a "Pace Car" I have found out that PC's are registered to the track. festival or Parade cars that were used for only a few days prior to the Dealer Drive Away program , may not have been registered. I have contacted the BMV. I do have the original certificate of title from Indiana (#07397004005) with all of the temporary dealer transfers listed. They were able to confirm the history of sales and the temporary registrations from Pedgio Chevy that supplied the corvettes to the program, to Bradly Chevy in franklin IN. then to Hocket Motors, then to Andy Mohr Chevy. I am the first privet owner to register this car. vin#(1GYY23G045127288)
can you or anybody that you know can help a fellow certified VETTE-NUT??? :hb
Please stay in touch..............I normaly check the CAC site twice a day.
TIA

I will do what I can with the VIN; and I did not assume necessarily that it was an "Offical Pace Car" , I thought it may be one of the 500 Festible Cars used for parades and etc. during the time; as I have been able to find out over the years there were a number of cars temporarily registered just for the festivities and then sold later through dealers. The official "Pace Cars" are I know a different story all together. I believe the winner of the race gets an official "Pace Car" and most if not all of the others are spoken for far in advance I would say. I will do some digging for you just for the heck of it. I am spent some time just trying over the years to get my hands on one of the official "Brickyard 400 Liscense Plates" and they are impossible to come by; but I have been promised one of them. I have been to the state prison where they are made (I make regular trips there and have got to know some of the staff people) and they have told me it is the most protected plate that they make; in fact someone from IMS brings the plates to make these plates to the prision and waits on them to take them right back with the liscense plates. These plates are just legally registered for a short period of time for the festivites as I am be told. I will let you know if I come up with anything at all. I have gotten most of the information on Pace Cars checking in on how to get a "Brickyard 400 Liscense Plate; a pacecar expert I am definently not. Now that I see you have the information this is not a pacecar, but evidently a program car what exactly do you hope to find?

One thing there is no dispute on you have a beatiful car!

What do I want to find out? Where does one start?
Were certificates of authenticity issued by the North Central Sales manager of GM that accompanied these Corvettes?
Do you have any connections where I could obtain a replacement copy of one? Any copy at all. Even if it is from a different car I would at lease know what it looks like I want to confirm if this car was ever used by the IMS? Are these type of records even kept? And.....if this is an official IMS festival car, I am looking to obtain the race track stickers
that were them I am looking to replace the one along the windshield and the larger "INDY 500" sticker from on the sides of the car. Someone apparently removed them? Any connections in this department? I have a # 19 painted on the rear of the car under the plate. I would love to know what track plate number it had? Was it 519? If all the blue cars were "Dealer Drive Away" that were picked up on the day of the race...on MAY 30 2004 why was this car not sold or picked up by the first dealer until 6-23-04? Did the IMS use this one for other events?
If wanting to know this much information about a Corvette doesn’t make me a
CORVETTE-NUT.....I don’t want to know what would!

BIG AL,

I have copied all the information that you would like to know, picture of the car and the VIN and sent it already to one of my contacts to see what if anything he can find out about your Vette, this is just one contact but thought I would start there. If and when I recieve anything on it I will let you know. I should now comunicate directly with you through a PM or direct e-mail; rather than through this thread and hi-jacking this post, others may not be intereseted ;shrug

My e-mail address is bbarkdull@adamswells.com

Well here's one of the most beautiful C5's on the face of the planet. What's your thoughts on this one?
Remo:cool
vette0001.jpg

Remo,

I just saw the black cut out over the turn signals. Do you know where one can order this or was it painted by the owner?

Brian

Remo,

I just saw the black cut out over the turn signals. Do you know where one can order this or was it painted by the owner?

Brian

Brian - I'm pretty sure he purchased them through West Coast Corvette. But you could always PM Tony Wayman - he's a CAC member.

Brian - I'm pretty sure he purchased them through West Coast Corvette. But you could always PM Tony Wayman - he's a CAC member.

Thanks for the info Remo. I contacted WCC and they sell a replacement "Euro" turnsignal assembly with the inside painted black. Price for the replacement is $225.

Just my humble opinion, but I automatically relegate "stock" vettes to one of the following - a show car that is always trailered and never driven, a brand new car (possibly a demo), a car owned by someone that really cannot afford to own a Corvette (given to them, won in a contest, etc.), owned by a person who is not a true car person, or owned by someone who plans to sell it.

Now there are cars that should not be modified like compact, economy cars and big luxury cars; who would mod a Rolls?

I buy cars like I buy almost everything else. I plan to own it, use it and keep it as long as it's value is greater than its cost to keep up.

If I wanted a car that looked like everyone else's I would buy a white Toyota Camry.

Anyway, since I am obviously in the "dress" category. Here's some benefit of my "mod" experience.
- Kool Mats - Absolutely, the first mod everyone should make; gives a huge decrease in road noise,
- Vanity Plate - another absolute must have,
- SS Catbacks - make it sound like a Vette; I have GHLs and everyone turns their head,
- Forged wheels and tires - wait until you replace the stock tires, these make the car if done right, not cheap,
- Intakes - not worth the effort,
- Crossbars, 5 point harnesses - only if you race or autocross, then definitely,
- roll cage - for full time race cars only please,
- Interior stuff - 90%+ of the ones I have seen look really gawdy and awful,
- engine dress up - ho hum, lots of colored plastic to replace stock black plastic, put that money into a blower or NOS if you want to impress someone with your engine,
- fake Z06 stuff - looks like fake Z06 stuff
- paint - wonderful and very expensive to do right; most look awful (there's a purple and gold metalflake Vette in my area that I wouldn't drive if they gave it to me),
- spoilers, bolt on ground effects, etc. - bolt on plastic looks like bolt on plastic

Just my humble opinion, but I automatically relegate "stock" vettes to one of the following - a show car that is always trailered and never driven, a brand new car (possibly a demo), a car owned by someone that really cannot afford to own a Corvette (given to them, won in a contest, etc.), owned by a person who is not a true car person, or owned by someone who plans to sell it.

Now there are cars that should not be modified like compact, economy cars and big luxury cars; who would mod a Rolls?

I buy cars like I buy almost everything else. I plan to own it, use it and keep it as long as it's value is greater than its cost to keep up.

If I wanted a car that looked like everyone else's I would buy a white Toyota Camry.

Anyway, since I am obviously in the "dress" category. Here's some benefit of my "mod" experience.
- Kool Mats - Absolutely, the first mod everyone should make; gives a huge decrease in road noise,
- Vanity Plate - another absolute must have,
- SS Catbacks - make it sound like a Vette; I have GHLs and everyone turns their head,
- Forged wheels and tires - wait until you replace the stock tires, these make the car if done right, not cheap,
- Intakes - not worth the effort,
- Crossbars, 5 point harnesses - only if you race or autocross, then definitely,
- roll cage - for full time race cars only please,
- Interior stuff - 90%+ of the ones I have seen look really gawdy and awful,
- engine dress up - ho hum, lots of colored plastic to replace stock black plastic, put that money into a blower or NOS if you want to impress someone with your engine,
- fake Z06 stuff - looks like fake Z06 stuff
- paint - wonderful and very expensive to do right; most look awful (there's a purple and gold metalflake Vette in my area that I wouldn't drive if they gave it to me),
- spoilers, bolt on ground effects, etc. - bolt on plastic looks like bolt on plastic

You hit the nail directly on the head! :beer some of the cars that I have been seeing make me wonder "what was this guy thinking?' Most (but not all) of the people that I have questioned about over derssing with the plastic snap on's and interior mods dont know the differance between a wrench or a screwdriver. But if that's thier idea of OVER-HAULEN the engin , or custom interiors???
GOD BLESS UM.......
Me........I'm saving up for the blower!:bu

To Dress Or Not

Perhaps this looks a little over the top. But it's whats
expected when you go to Kerbecks to make a deal
on a new Z06 or the long awaited ZR1 (Blue Devil)
manuel.jpg

manuel.jpg

You can rent these, rented one that looked a lot like this a couple of weeks ago my daughter got married, and yes I still have me Vette ;LOL

manuel.jpg

Honestly, Remo, we've had this conversation before. I really do wish you would consult me before you go posting pictures of me online like this. It's really irritating how my email inbox gets flooded with fan mail when you release these pics early.

;)
-Patrick

My Corvette(s):
2006 Black Roadster

Patrict did you get a new Vette, where have I been. You know I want to see pictures of the black beast; yes I do!

Black is beautiful :upthumbs as the saying goes but keeping it clean is another story but worth it.

Patrict did you get a new Vette, where have I been. You know I want to see pictures of the black beast; yes I do!

Black is beautiful :upthumbs as the saying goes but keeping it clean is another story but worth it.

I did indeed get a new one, and as the one it replaces was also black, I'm well aware of how hard it is to keep clean.

Here's a LINK to the thread where I introduced her to the CAC. (Pics included!)
:beer

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom