Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

to lower or not to lower???

O

Oldskool153

i have a 92 that since i bought it in sept. has under gone a few mods including new paint, tint, 2003 z06 wheels, and a straight pipe exhaust (which i love btw, imo sounds better then most really expensive exhausts ive heard, has no back fires or drone at hwy speeds) now im thinking about lowering....but i live in NJ which means pot holes, has anyone lowered their c4 that can post pics or give me advice on weather or not i should go for it? i dont want to risk cracking an oil pan or hurting my suspension.... i have attached a current pic of her so u can judge wether or not it wuld be wise to lower her

The car looks great like it is. Lower it and you will be restricted where you can drive it due to ground clearance. If you are truly OLDSCHOOL lower the rear end, put a set of fender skirts on it, add full length lakes pipes, dual antennas, fuzzy dice and Olds spinner hub caps. In my opinion leave her as is, LOOKS GOOD.
Mike

Lowered can look sooo good!
But,
looking at a lowered car and living with one, are 2 different things.

I'm in the same boat with the back end of mine dropping down by using a flat, very high rate spring back there. This lowers the back end because there is no arc in the spring so the body sits down lower. It also means that the progressive travel of the bilstien shocks is reduced, and whats left is harsh at best. My rear end feels like a hard-tail Harley with a solid tire!
It has little or no body roll around corners, sticks to the ground, and has none of the rebounding when rolling over dips and bumps. But, its hard as a rock, you feel the jolts from the street, and it tends to drag over holes and speed bumps a LOT easier than before.
All this sounded like a good idea when I only drove it on Sundays....
So far I've drug off exhaust hangers, bolts, scraped the floor pans, and scratched a few other things underneath. Again, it handles great....it just hurts a little now.

its a matter of what you;re willing to live with. If you;re driving uncivilized city streets, there will be a price to pay.

Personally, I love the lowered look....on other vettes,. not so much on mine!

lol...
like sheets of plywood in the bed of an old pick up?
...nawwww Hard to drive with a paper bag on my head. She'd probably block the speakers too.

I saw a C-4 at a car show that had been lowered a good 2 inches it looked weird but I ask the guy how he drove it so low, He said that he could not drive it over 40 mph because small bumps in the road caused the tire to hit the fenders.

I said kinda ruins the reason to have a Corvette don't it. :W

I saw a C-4 at a car show that had been lowered a good 2 inches it looked weird but I ask the guy how he drove it so low, He said that he could not drive it over 40 mph because small bumps in the road caused the tire to hit the fenders.

I said kinda ruins the reason to have a Corvette don't it. :W
Yes, It's called the "Law of Diminishing Returns";shrug

Lower it...
I drive mine every day....and I haven't experienced a 40 mph limitation, as a matter of fact I've found the opposite to be true...my vert has been more stable at speed since I lowered it 5 years ago .

This is how it looks now..
DSC02173.jpg

This is when I lowered it back in 2005

DSC00641.jpg

LoweringDay7.jpg

LoweringDa4.jpg

and here is how high it was back when I bought it back in 2004

Before.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

...as for a 2" drop bottoming out at 40 mph I raise the BS flag
Presentation1.jpg

One option to consider might be to add a ground effects package, rather than actually lowering the car. I just bought my first Corvette from my uncle, and it came with the bumper and side skirts installed. I've only driven it around our complex so far, as it's not yet registered. It makes it over the speed bumps alright, but some of the gutters will make it scrape if you don't take it slow.

eve013.jpg

eve017.jpg

Has 68K miles, picked it up for $4,500 :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom