Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tom, it was a '54...

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
Seeing a post vigman made in the '63-'67 forum...

...reminded me of what I saw today. :eyerole

I stopped by my stereo installer's shop today and what was sitting in the bay but a '53 (possibly '54 -- I can't tell :L) Corvette!

It was filthy, scratched, chipped, it had human footprints! all over it... I was told that the owner just didn't care and allowed just about anybody drive it (He gave it to a couple of gang-bangers to drive it to the shop the last time he had it there!). He has parked it on the STREET! for days at a time. The "whitewalls" were hardly that; they looked almost as if they were painted yellow. :eyerole

Wouldn't you love to meet this guy? :grinshot :r

_ken :mad

Ken,

You need to stop at that shop and see if they have the year on record. If it is a '53 it probably isn't on any registry. You may have found one of the missing '53 serial numbers. Who knows, this guy might be willing to talk about his car. He has obviously owned it for years and here might be an interesting history. a picture would be cool too.

Why was it in the stereo shop? I doubt that those guys would know where to start on a '53 tube radio with a bad vibrator.

Tom

I don't think the word "originality" exists in this guy's lexicon Tom. He had some sort of radio up under the dash. :eyerole

Give me some tips as to what and where to look for the numbers (if it's still there). ;)

_ken :w

Open the driver's door and copy the serial number. After that it gets more complicated.

Tom

The Corvette turned out to be a '54...

...so it wasn't one of the missing cars you're looking for.

Nice "white"walls, eh?

Even if you could get 140mph out of it, would you want too?
I tried to show where someone was walking on it!

:eyerole

I have a feeling he knows this Tom, he just doesn't care.

_ken

'54

Thanks ken,

You the man. I see it is an early '54. Did you happen to get the serial number. You can pm it to me if you don't want to make it public.

Tom

I got a shot of it Tom, damn thing is though, I forgot to write it down and the photo doesn't show it clearly enough to read. :eek:

I'll try again next week if it's still there. ;)

_ken

Serial number: E54S002701, he (the owner) paid 30K for it so he DOES know the value, as I have said before, he just doesn't care.

_ken :cry

A known 54

This 54 was in The Restorer 04/87. It listed as 61kmi, Non orginal motor. Located in Arcadia, CA. At that time the car had been owned by the same guy, Ken Kaufman for 20 years. He moved it from Peoria IL. Too bad it fell in the wrong hands. Eric

Re: A known 54

53#286 said:
This 54 was in The Restorer 04/87. It listed as 61kmi, Non orginal motor. Located in Arcadia, CA. At that time the car had been owned by the same guy, Ken Kaufman for 20 years. He moved it from Peoria IL. Too bad it fell in the wrong hands. Eric

Eric,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. :)

Do you own #286? I don't have listed in our 1953 Registry

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center

Welcome aboard Eric. We tend to get exited around here at the possibility of adding another number to the '53 Registry. Were you at Flint last week?

Tom

when I was a kid I used to go to a junkyard in north jersey that had two early corvettes 53-54 6 cyl engines that were theft recoveries, he would not sell them, altho I asked him several times. I often wonder if they are still there or if the junkyard is even still in existance. I think it was on rt 202 south of rt 46 It has been many years since I have been in that area

Thanks for the welcome. 1st: Rob, yes we have had #286 since 93. I sent an e-mail a month ago to your registry. I was at Flint . Its the second one from the left in the picture. It was amazing. Once in a lifetime. We had it in Nashville then trailered it up to Flint and it's bound for Hershey Next week. About 16 will be at NCRS National. In two days I logged 27 53s!

What Town?

bossvette said:
when I was a kid I used to go to a junkyard in north jersey that had two early corvettes 53-54 6 cyl engines that were theft recoveries, he would not sell them, altho I asked him several times. I often wonder if they are still there or if the junkyard is even still in existance. I think it was on rt 202 south of rt 46 It has been many years since I have been in that area

Do you remember the name of the junk yard or the town it was in?

53#286 said:
Thanks for the welcome. 1st: Rob, yes we have had #286 since 93. I sent an e-mail a month ago to your registry. I was at Flint . Its the second one from the left in the picture. It was amazing. Once in a lifetime. We had it in Nashville then trailered it up to Flint and it's bound for Hershey Next week. About 16 will be at NCRS National. In two days I logged 27 53s!
Ah ok. I have to check my email again because I was in the process of moving and working off of my laptop then.

rowdy1
you are not far from it I lived in Boonton twp at the time and I am thinking the road (202 I thimk) ran alongside the newark reservoir
and crossed rt 46 continue going south after you cross over 287 it should be on the left hand side of the road not to far. whether it is still in existance is another story. as it was 30 years ago
check it out and let me know
Craig sr

V & V

I haven't been over that way in many years, but I will check it out. It was V & V Salvage at the time, going back 30 to 35 years ago. I'm not sure if it was actually in Boonton or if it was in Montville.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom