Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Too much replaced too soon?

Leprechaun72

Hi all, newbie here, but this seems like the place to ask. I'm close to buying a very good condition, private party, 2nd owner, '96 LT4 with 29,000 on the clock. The current owner has had it for 11,000 miles (8 years) and says it's got "new" tires, battery, brakes and clutch. He wants 20k for it. I can understand the battery and the tires for an 11 year old car, but new brakes and clutch before 30,000 miles?? I'm definitely going to ask for the shop receipts to see who and when the work was done. May be the guy just overly maintained his baby or do you smell a horse that's been rode hard?;shrug

Hi all, newbie here, but this seems like the place to ask. I'm close to buying a very good condition, private party, 2nd owner, '96 LT4 with 29,000 on the clock. The current owner has had it for 11,000 miles (8 years) and says it's got "new" tires, battery, brakes and clutch. He wants 20k for it. I can understand the battery and the tires for an 11 year old car, but new brakes and clutch before 30,000 miles?? I'm definitely going to ask for the shop receipts to see who and when the work was done. May be the guy just overly maintained his baby or do you smell a horse that's been rode hard?;shrug
And put away wet a few times!!!;LOL;LOL;LOL:upthumbs

Ask him why he replaced the clutch and let us know what he says. :)

Elaine

P.S. Where in New England are you? And welcome to the Corvette Action Center!!!

From the replaced hardware, sounds like it was driven pretty hard.

B17Crew
:w

Lets see was it driven only on Sundays @ Lime Rock, Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, Etc. Having spent a few years of my life with GM in the power train area I can tell you that unless the clutch was severly abused or someone had the habit of riding the clutch all the time it should not have needed a clutch until well over 100K on the clock. One exception to that is if the owner thought he was improving his launch with a stronger clutch and just removed the original for an after market. Again I smell something wrong here. And I believe his price is too high as well.:confused

As for the brakes did he replace them to put on a high performance set. The stock on my 93 went until over 75K and only got replaced because I had a wobbling rotor and so I had it turned and replaced the linings.

I replaced my clutch on my 92 shortly after purchasing it. At the time it had around 88k. The previous owner babied the car but I felt some slippage. The clutch had quite a bit of disk left on it and the dual mass flywheel was still useable. Its one of those jobs that you dont want to do twice so I installed all new parts anyway. About a 1k in parts. Did the owner replace the flywheel with a single mass? Could possibly be the reason.

. One exception to that is if the owner thought he was improving his launch with a stronger clutch and just removed the original for an after market. Again I smell something wrong here. And I believe his price is too high as well.:confused

As for the brakes did he replace them to put on a high performance set. The stock on my 93 went until over 75K and only got replaced because I had a wobbling rotor and so I had it turned and replaced the linings.

The 95 and 96 C4s came with J55 brakes as standard so if the previous owner upgraded he had to go with C5 or aftermarket brakes.

Of course if most of the 11,000 miles was driving in Boston rush hour traffic that could be a cause for new brakes and clutch.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to let this one go as the guy said it's $20k or nothing. His service records that I asked for amounted to a one page write up that said "on xx/xx/99 bought the car for $$, on xx/xx/00 had new clutch put in for $$, on xx/xx/01 had new tires put on for $$ and new brakes for $$."

All the "new" parts were undocumented, 7 years and 10,000 miles old! :L

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to let this one go as the guy said it's $20k or nothing. His service records that I asked for amounted to a one page write up that said "on xx/xx/99 bought the car for $$, on xx/xx/00 had new clutch put in for $$, on xx/xx/01 had new tires put on for $$ and new brakes for $$."

All the "new" parts were undocumented, 7 years and 10,000 miles old! :L

Good move, there isn’t a shortage of well cared for C4’s out there. For 20k, you can acquire a near mint C4, that’s turnkey and ready to enjoy.

Few weeks ago, I looked at a LT4 at McDormans, had around 20,000 miles. They were asking $21,900. This LT4 was mint, interior, exterior and engine compartment were near flawless. I looked the car over very carefully and was impressed to see just about everything on it, except the battery was OEM. Weather stripping was in excellent condition too. This was a LT4 to have, it sold pretty quick... the good ones always do.

B17Crew
:w

Maybe he did all his driving in 1/4 mile increments?:L

I have never seen 30K out of a set of brake pads but I do drive like a maniac and change things when they are 1/2 way worn out. I also have all of the receipts to back up the 3K oil changes, etc., etc.

Even doing burnouts for the locales I do not think that I could cook a GM clutch in less than 50K.

3,000 mile oil changes? Geez, you'd get more mileage if you used Amsoil.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom