Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Top-Mount Battery Terminals for 2004 Model Year

timfitz63

Corvette
'98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
Anybody know where I can source a replacement along with the tightening nut? These are the funky top-mount terminals that have a special nut with a conical bottom that tightens a clamping bar. The negative terminal on my '04 convertible decided to unceremoniously corrode. It still currently functions, but I can't say how long the terminal will last with some of the corrosion damage. It also lost quite a bit of the plating, so it wants to continue to corrode.

Also, can anyone give me a clue how difficult these are to remove and replace from the cable, as well as any tips on how to make the job as easy as possible? They look like they crimp on the end of the cable, but might require a special tool to do so. And GM sure didn't help the matter by giving me as little cable to work with as possible... On a sports car that stickered at over $50k, you'd think they'd give you another inch or so of cable to work with... :mad

Anybody know where I can source a replacement along with the tightening nut? These are the funky top-mount terminals that have a special nut with a conical bottom that tightens a clamping bar. The negative terminal on my '04 convertible decided to unceremoniously corrode. It still currently functions, but I can't say how long the terminal will last with some of the corrosion damage. It also lost quite a bit of the plating, so it wants to continue to corrode.

Also, can anyone give me a clue how difficult these are to remove and replace from the cable, as well as any tips on how to make the job as easy as possible? They look like they crimp on the end of the cable, but might require a special tool to do so. And GM sure didn't help the matter by giving me as little cable to work with as possible... On a sports car that stickered at over $50k, you'd think they'd give you another inch or so of cable to work with... :mad

To do the job properly you do need to crimp, solder, and heat shrink a new cable end in place which does require a special tool (large crimping device, similar to large bolt cutters), cable end and heat shrink. You will need to find an independent repair shop that has those parts and tools, I doubt a dealership will have them.

Thanks for the information, guys! I kind-of had the feeling this was going to turn into something more involved than it looked... I'll check with my local mechanic about whether they have the proper tools to swap out the terminal end of the cable.

The main problem at the moment seems to be sourcing the part. I can't find anyone online who seems to offer the the specific terminal in question. There are a few online sources that seem to sell the entire cable (presumably with the end terminal), but they don't show any photos of the part -- only a shop-manual-like diagram that shows a cable/terminal assembly that looks like the older side-mounted one... ;shrug

Wow, for a simple cable, they're expensive little critters... list price of $62 and on sale for only $37. Whan I was still working, the company I worked for built specialty equipment for the Gov't. That would have cost us about $6 to make and taken about five minutes to pull the parts, cut, strip, crimp, install the shrink tubing and bag.

88987122 - OEM GM Negative Cable | GMPartsCenter.net

Ahh for the good old days when one could just go to the parts store and buy a clamp on end that worked for every auto.

Last edited:
Wow, for a simple cable, they're expensive little critters... list price of $62 and on sale for only $37. Whan I was still working, the company I worked for built specialty equipment for the Gov't. That would have cost us about $6 to make and taken about five minutes to pull the parts, cut, strip, crimp, install the shrink tubing and bag.

88987122 - OEM GM Negative Cable | GMPartsCenter.net

Ahh for the good old days when one could just go to the parts store and buy a clamp on end that worked for every auto.

Yeah, that "Corvette tax" is getting kinda steep... :ugh

Thanks for that source with a photo, Scott! That's exactly the part I need! Now that I have a part number, I can do a bit of comparison shopping to see if anyone's got a little better price. But they're all probably going to come in around that $35 mark... :(

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2004,corvette,5.7l+v8,1423921,electrical,battery+cable,2500 ; Rockauto $30.79 :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom