Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Top Speed Run tonight finally done!

GRRR.....Yahoo has been very link-unfriendly lately! I gotta figure out what the problem is...

...OK... how about now?

Dammit! It's gone again!

For some reason, the picture won't stay linked. I don't know if the CAC forum coding or if it's Yahoo. If you click on the link below where the picture should be, it will (should) display the picture in a new browser window. (Which by all means should allow the picture to show as an embedded image using the command.)

OK...now the link isn't even working!!! (at least on my end). I have the pic in my yahoo photos page. Go to the website listed under the pic of my car and look under the 140mph Speedo folder. The pic is there... GRRRRRRRRRRRR
:mad

69MyWay said:
Man, that speedo is pegged!

I'm not sure if that speedo can be pegged or not...because between 130 and 140 it seems to float/flutter. I won't know for sure until the 700R4 is installed.

I recently found a photo of my original speedo. Isnt it freaky now that you have the 140mph??
When I would do a high speed run I couldnt get it over 120 mph. The last time I did a high speed run I took it out of OD and got the car up to 130 mph. Just a reminder for those who get the 700R4 get the wide open throttle valve option for the150mph club.

Once I went 135 in a 1994 Formula Firebird.....
Maybe 120 in my Vette....

I remember drag racing against my friend in Highschool's Corvette from light to light across town. He had a nasty 71 with sidepipes.

Anyways, my best friend who was riding in the car with me looked at me at the first light and said "Dude, DON'T KILL ME!" as he put on his seatbelt FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!! My buddy in the 71's girlfriend just started hitting him, screaming at the top of her lungs. It was soooo funny. That was 10 years ago.

Honestly, I've become accustomed to $145.00 a month insurance for my 1998 GT Mustang and my Vette.

I guess that I have grown up and become kinda chicken. I don't drive like that anymore.

Do all 84-96 Vette have the WOT valve? I thought I had read that the 700R4 in C4's are the only ones that stay in OD at WOT? Am I correct in my recollection?

Had my vette up to 120, not on purpose. Was chasing down a mustang, got passed him and looked down at the speedo. 120 and climbing. And I had just shifted into 4th and was only pulling 3grand.

Had the Lincoln up to 134 where the speed limiter kicked in. Gotta get a chip for it. :)

i had my eclipse up to 143 front end strted to get a little loose

cant wait to see what my 82 will do when she is done

Yes the C4 has the wide open throttle option. Its actually a Corvette part that is ordered and installed in the 700R4.

110 in a Volvo turbo wagon

But it felt like 200!! Yes my Volvo turbo can go a lot faster than my vette, but no one ever waved at my Volvo. :w

Have not taken the vette into triple digits although I read in 1975 one of the car mags said it would do 126 with the L48 and an auto tanny. Don't think I want to get that fast with mine though.

I "finished" the video clip.

I "finished" the video clip last night. Since the footage never came out like I wanted, the clip itself is pretty shoddy as well. If y'all want, I can still ask Rob to host it here. It's only a 3MB download. Let me know if you're interested still.

The "real" good one will have to take place when I give it another shot in the spring/summer. (I'll also know what to do and what not to do.)

Ahh yes, at speed in a vette. Good stuff. I've only had the 74 to about 90, and it was twitchy. Needs sway bar's and better tires I think. It had that feeling that if you had a slight muscle spasm and tiped the wheel an inch, you would start to have a really bad day.

One of my first experiences with a Corvette was one dar red 86 of a friends. After talking me into tuning it up and doing some brake work, we went for a drive, he was at the wheel. I also learned that some people really don't need a Vette on that day.
It was a nice summer afternoon, had the top out, crusing along a back road in NC. He nails it, pulls pretty good for a 100K mile TPI 350. I remember it quite well, it laid down in 4th, all locked up, I was glancing at the speedometer ticking off MPH's. Last I glanced it said 146, then there was this curve. Now, a C4 handles reasonably well, if the driver does his part. Well, he didnt, and I had the unique experience of spinning across a cotton field at over 140mph. Made a mess of the car, I fixed it for him like a dummy, built him a 383 later too, but only after yelling at him a lot. We both walked away from it fine, god bless the guy that designed those seats that hold one so firmly.

As a side, I have a 200K mile 78 Lincoln that's been clocked with the cruise control set at 138mph, and the secondaries werent open. Gotta love a 2:50 rear gear and a big block with tall tires.
:)

I once went for a ride in a 2000 coupe 6spd with NOS. This car was sick. I never paid attention to the speedo because I was to busy hanging on for dear life. The owner later showed me a time slip from a track. He had ran a 11.8 thats with out any mods xcept for the NOS.

Re: I "finished" the video clip.

I "finished" the video clip last night. Since the footage never came out like I wanted, the clip itself is pretty shoddy as well. If y'all want, I can still ask Rob to host it here. It's only a 3MB download. Let me know if you're interested still.

Email it to me, or tell me where to download it and I'll host it for ya for a while, 3mb is nothing really.

Hi:

Since I don't do this anymore, I can only talk about memories. My fastest ground speed was in my 1965 GTO with factory 3x2's and 4-speed. Engine red-lined a 5500 RPM's but you could get 6000 in 4th gear with new spark plugs. Speedometer was worthless, 'cause it only went to 120. At 6000 RPM, it was almost back to the 0 peg. Car was fairly stable up to 120, but got pretty floaty at top end. At 3000 RPM, the speedo read 72. A two lane road gets pretty narrow at that speed. My Piper Cherokee couldn't go that fast. The Cherokee went with the X too. Oh well...

Clark

160mph in my 1980 Vette while racing a 5.0 mustang

160 in a 1980!!!

What have you done to your car!!!???

Cheers
Dazza

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom