Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Torque Converter question

Corvette
'72 Targa Blue Coupe
Howdy folks -

Someone told me that if I take a stock torque converter from a Turbo 400 transmission and put it into a Turbo 350 transmission, that I would get a small stall effect-similar to a B&M Torquemaster 2000. Is this correct?

I find it hard to believe. I HAVE heard of people using a torque converter from a Vega and getting a stall, but I don't think that converter would hold up.

I'm asking because I put a B&M Holeshot 2400 in my Corvette during the 383 swap, so I still have the good, original converter. I also have a '70 Chevelle wagon about to get a fresh 383 stroker, and this car has a Turbo 350 transmission. Is this a good idea? Or, should I use the original converter like I did before when I had the 'Vette's 383 in the wagon? Or, just go buy a new converter altogether?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

Rick
:gap

Regarding OE stock convertors ... IN GENERAL ... the larger the convertor diameter the lower the stall speed .... & the smaller the higher. A 400 convertor is usually larger than a 350 convertor.

I just built a 388 and dropped it in and installed a B&M Holeshot 28-32 which is 10" converter, to Jack's point the higher the stall the smaller the converter, I wasn't aware of this until I called B&M to confirm as I was leery replacing a 12" with a 10". The core size of the higher stall is smaller therefore they can use a smaller outercasing on the converter.

For what a new converter costs vs. the damage and old one can create, I'd opt for new.............just my 2 cents.

Hope that helps.

Thank you

Thanks, guys...I had a look again last night, and it does appear that the TH400 converter is a slightly larger diameter-about 1/2 inch or so.

Guess I'll be calling Summit Racing again...:)

Have a great day.

Rick
:gap

if you are going for performance, effecientcy and durability i would pony up and get a good converter. B&M's are not very effecient and cause lots of heat. if you want a good converter, it'll cost you $700-800. the cost is a shocker up front, but well worth the money later on. i bought a Yank 10" converter rated for 3800 rpm stall. it will easily cruise down the road at 2400-2800 rpm and not create heat. it actually runs 20-30 degrees cooler than the B&M 2400 converter it replaced with no added cooler. driveability is actually improoved, i have a real lopey cam that likes to idle at 1200 rpm. it also runs like it's locked up until you hit the gas then it flashes to 3800. performance is fun to drive and well worth it. Yank, TCI and similar companies have high-end converters that work very well with 383's and do not trash your tranny. look into it a little farther before ordering a low-end B&M from Summit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom