Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Torque converter recommendations for 700R4

GiDvEtTe84

Corvette
1984 Cross-fire Corvette Coupe
Hey guys. I need a 2800 to 3000 rpm stall TQ converter(give or take). What would you recommend for a budget weekend driver? I am shooting for 400bhp, 700R4 trans, and 3.75 rear end. Have you heard of 700raptor.com? They seem to have good prices. Thanks.

I wish I'd have gone with a 3000 stall, went with a 2500, not enough. Most folks seem to use 3000. The post from elkabong 1/4 mi. times, I just responded to has some discussion on this.

I've heard good stuff from a couple people that used raptor.

GiDvEtTe84 said:
Have you heard of 700raptor.com? They seem to have good prices. Thanks.

Great place to do business with. Give them a call they can help you decide. I went with the MegaRaptor 1 ... 9 1/2" 2400 stall, 2.5 coupling, and 3% slippage. Works great with my 3.45 gears. I used to have 2.59's and could not spin a tire. Now I have to watch how much throttle I give it from a stop. :lou

:w

Kool someones heard of them. these are the two they recommended:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] " Super Street Raptor "[size=+3] [/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fits 700R4 / 200-4R / 4L60E [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1993 up non LS1 type motors and C5 Corvettes only[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. This stall converter is balanced, has furnace brazed fins, all bearing construction and a [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sonnax carbon fiber clutch[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. This converter can be ordered with stall speeds of 2000, 2300, 2600 or 2800 RPM. Can also be ordered with an 1800 RPM stall speed for towing, 4WD and stock motors. We now have this converter in a 1200 RPM stall speed for diesels. No Nitrous, buy #2X if you have Nitrous. Good up to 450 horse power. Cost $275.00[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#2X.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Same converter as above with a balloon plate, rated up to 550 horse power. This lock-up converter can be ordered with stall speeds of 1200 to 2800 RPM. Can be used with Nitrous. Cost $390.00[/font]

I wont be track racing much to the #2 should work. I am guessing its a 12"? Nice price too. 6 month warranty. Whats the use of a smaller diameter? Less rotating mass? Better cooling?

GiDvEtTe84 said:
I wont be track racing much to the #2 should work. I am guessing its a 12"? Nice price too. 6 month warranty. Whats the use of a smaller diameter? Less rotating mass? Better cooling?

Should work jsut fine for you. I think they are 11" The smaller diameter has less rotating mass, not sure about the cooling ... I would think its worse ie less fluid. I have that taken care of with a HD radiator and a tranny cooler though.

Kool. I am planning on running a trans cooler in the future. I was told the 84's had 27 and 30 spline input shafts. Any idea how to tell without pulling the trans?

Hrtbeat1 said:
a tranny cooler though.

If you dont mind.I have a 700r4 trans for a car I am building and just purchased the B&M fan assisted trans cooler and I am having troubles finding the correct fitting to go into the trans for the cooler lines.Is this a metric thread? Does anybody know the size of it?

PS I just had my 700r4 rebuilt to be able to withstand 425 hp and 500fp of tourque. I have a dana 44 with 3:45s in it and after carefull consideration ( car is a street cruiser not a drag racr) it was decided that I use a 2200 stall as there was concern that at crusing speeds in high gear we may of had a problem of the stall kicking in. if your running cruising gear watch you dont get too much stall and she opens up on the highway .

What is your crusing speed?

What is your rpms at that speed?

IH2LOSE said:
If you dont mind.I have a 700r4 trans for a car I am building and just purchased the B&M fan assisted trans cooler and I am having troubles finding the correct fitting to go into the trans for the cooler lines.Is this a metric thread? Does anybody know the size of it?

PS I just had my 700r4 rebuilt to be able to withstand 425 hp and 500fp of tourque. I have a dana 44 with 3:45s in it and after carefull consideration ( car is a street cruiser not a drag racr) it was decided that I use a 2200 stall as there was concern that at crusing speeds in high gear we may of had a problem of the stall kicking in. if your running cruising gear watch you dont get too much stall and she opens up on the highway .

What is your crusing speed?

What is your rpms at that speed?

After reading your post I had to go back and look at my documentation. My converter is a 2200 also (don't know where I got 2400 from). Crusing speed between 75 - 80 engine RPMs 2400 - 2500 in OD. 50 MPH in Drive (3rd gear) is right around 2400 ... normally what I use around town.

As for the fittings, I'm not sure but I'll find out for you. I have a 700R4 sitting in the garage that has a busted case. I'll pull the fittings and measure the threads/size. Heck send me a PM and I'll send them to you. I had similar problems when I installed my HD radiator. I needed two brake line type fittings with the flared stop for the tranny cooler portion. After a couple of trips to NAPA I ended up getting the right ones, all brass and they threaded right into the radiator, the flared stop secures the line with the factory fitting. I tried one without the stop and had leaks from between the line and fitting, should have known, as the line would slide in and out with little pressure even though the fitting was secure. Seems like the line is 3/8" but can't remember off hand.

Hrtbeat1 said:
After reading your post I had to go back and look at my documentation. My converter is a 2200 also (don't know where I got 2400 from). Crusing speed between 75 - 80 engine RPMs 2400 - 2500 in OD. 50 MPH in Drive (3rd gear) is right around 2400 ... normally what I use around town.

As for the fittings, I'm not sure but I'll find out for you. I have a 700R4 sitting in the garage that has a busted case. I'll pull the fittings and measure the threads/size. Heck send me a PM and I'll send them to you. I had similar problems when I installed my HD radiator. I needed two brake line type fittings with the flared stop for the tranny cooler portion. After a couple of trips to NAPA I ended up getting the right ones, all brass and they threaded right into the radiator, the flared stop secures the line with the factory fitting. I tried one without the stop and had leaks from between the line and fitting, should have known, as the line would slide in and out with little pressure even though the fitting was secure. Seems like the line is 3/8" but can't remember off hand.

Thank you I think I am set.

The ports machined into the trans case i am told are 1/4" pipe threads

Then there are fittings screwed into the trans that should be 5/16 inverted flare fittings.

I just ordered what I needed on thrursday should have it this morning

IH2LOSE said:
Thank you I think I am set.

The ports machined into the trans case i am told are 1/4" pipe threads

Then there are fittings screwed into the trans that should be 5/16 inverted flare fittings.

I just ordered what I needed on thrursday should have it this morning

That seems right. Hard to remember off hand. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

Link works for me. Oh, and someone sent me a message about that raptor place.

Some guy said:
I ordered a Terminator 400 trans and billet cover torque converter - both were supposed to be good for 800 horespower. I have a 540 Camaro with about 650 HP. When the parts came, the converter had a stamped cover. Not cool since they charged me almost $800 for the converter alone. The trans was dirty and was shipped without plugs. Plus they shot silver paint over the whole thing and it was rubbing off because it was oily underneath.

I ordered the converter to be built with 2000 rpm stall. When installed, it stalled at about 4500. It was hard to tell because the trans was slipping in all forward gears. The only gear that held was reverse.

I called and said I wanted a refund. They said they would pay for round trip shipping and fix everything. I said okay and shipped it all back. When they got the shipment, they agreed that the converter was stamped and agreed to a refund if I wanted it. Later they installed the converter and trans in their "test truck". They told me both were fine - no problem with either. The trans shifted firm and the converter stalled at 2000 prm. I asked them what engine was in the test truck and they said it was 4.3 liter V6!!!! They said if it works in their truck, it will work with anthing more powerful because it has less vacuum!!!

Now that it was clear what I was dealing with, I asked for a complete refund on everything. They said their return policy called for my paying all shipping costs and a 30% restocking fee. Plus since I wasn't taking the trans, they reneged on the full refund for the converter. Note to all future marks, this policy is nowhere to be found on their website or invoices.

I am now disputing the return fees with the credit card company.

BTW, six months ago I bought a Stage 3, 700r4 and 2400 stall converter for my Chevelle from Bowtie Overdrives. Every aspect of the deal was perfect. The trans and coverter were beautiful and performed flawlessly. I suggest you get your converter from those guys. I would have went back to them for my Camaro but I wanted a 400 and they didn't sell them.

V6 test truck. LOL...Glad i didnt use them.

GiDvEtTe84 said:
Link works for me. Oh, and someone sent me a message about that raptor place.

V6 test truck. LOL...Glad i didnt use them.

all my buddy Chris does is hi-po stalls. he's gonna restall my 2600 that i got lying around to a 3200 soon :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom