Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Touching up "silver colored" edge of center console

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I would like to touch up the silver edge of the center console, but I don't know what to use for it. It looks like silver or chrome paint color, but I want the right color. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

touchup

I would like to touch up the silver edge of the center console, but I don't know what to use for it. It looks like silver or chrome paint color, but I want the right color. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How about a felt tipped paint pen similar to a magic marker? I'm sure you could find the right color by looking at all the shades available. Very easy to use. Be sure to thoroughly clean the surface to be painted.

How about a felt tipped paint pen similar to a magic marker? I'm sure you could find the right color by looking at all the shades available. Very easy to use. Be sure to thoroughly clean the surface to be painted.

After reading your post, I looked it up. I would rather buy one locally than on Amazon, so who would carry one of these? Thanks for the suggestion by the way.

pen

You might try an auto supply like NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, or possibly Walmart. I used one once on an older car (not a Corvette) and was surprised and pleased with the results.

You might try an auto supply like NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, or possibly Walmart. I used one once on an older car (not a Corvette) and was surprised and pleased with the results.

Craft shops also might carry these items.

The last time I was in a Hobby Lobby they had paint pens in every color imaginable.

Tom

The last time I was in a Hobby Lobby they had paint pens in every color imaginable.

Tom

Real Corvette men don't go to Hobby Lobby! (just kidding). Maybe this weekend I'll check it out. Are you talking about a pen, or a felt tip?

They are more like a felt tip but not fat. Also they are paint , not ink. I have used them for touching up raised lettering on instrument panels that's just too hard to do with a fine brush.

Tom

They are more like a felt tip but not fat. Also they are paint , not ink. I have used them for touching up raised lettering on instrument panels that's just too hard to do with a fine brush.

Tom

Do you know what color it's called? Maybe a color code?

Tom

I have an update here.. I found an unopened can of dupli color truck bumper paint I have had for over a decade, and it seems to be spot on. I tried using a q tip, but it's not the best for this application. I have an old high lighter I am leaving the lid off to dry it out, then I'll try using the paint with it. As long as the paint holds, then it should work.

I have an update here.. I found an unopened can of dupli color truck bumper paint I have had for over a decade, and it seems to be spot on. I tried using a q tip, but it's not the best for this application. I have an old high lighter I am leaving the lid off to dry it out, then I'll try using the paint with it. As long as the paint holds, then it should work.

Hopefully that will work for you. The advantage of buying a paint pen (looking in a craft or hobby store was a very good idea) is that they contain a small weight or ball bearing which when shaken, mixes the paint similar to what happens in a rattle can. Especially important if the color contains metallic.

paint pen.jpgHere's what I used, worked like a charm.console.jpg

Here's what I used. Not quite 'chrome' looking, a duller looking silver, but still a big improvement over what was there.
paint pen.jpgconsole.jpg

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 122
Looks good

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've had NOS console plates before as well as my wife bought the '81 new and the silver originally was sort of shiny but not mirror chrome looking. I think you are looking pretty good with that finish.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom