Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Towing and Driving in snow/ice

Watch your tongue, you young whippersnapper!

Take it easy guys and gals, I have a valid point. Most folks my age 22 or so, DO NOT OWN, VETTES. The demographics of Vette owners predominately fall in the male and 40's, 50, and 60's age catagory. This is fact, I have seen it in print from Corvette Magazines, so I AM JUST STATING FACTS. Been to a car show lately??? Sheesh!!!

If you had one when younger you are in the minority just as I am. Most of my average peers will have rice rockets, Mustangs or whatever, very very very few Corvettes. THIS is FACT!! Good Grief, I'm not trying to offend anyone merely trying to explain why Vette insurance isn't crazy even at my age.

Take it easy guys and gals, I have a valid point. Most folks my age 22 or so, DO NOT OWN, VETTES. The demographics of Vette owners predominately fall in the male and 40's, 50, and 60's age catagory. This is fact, I have seen it in print from Corvette Magazines, so I AM JUST STATING FACTS. Been to a car show lately??? Sheesh!!!

If you had one when younger you are in the minority just as I am. Most of my average peers will have rice rockets, Mustangs or whatever, very very very few Corvettes. THIS is FACT!! Good Grief, I'm not trying to offend anyone merely trying to explain why Vette insurance isn't crazy even at my age.

I understand what you are saying. Started driving a corvette with a learners permit when I was 15. I also had ATV's growing up. My dad purchased my first 50 cc Suzuki when I was 6 months old. Not big enough to ride by myself but, come 4-5 years of age I was driving it. I had maybe a dozen, and by the time I was ready to drive a car, I was riding a Yamaha Banshee. That thing hauled.

I bought my nephew a 50 cc Suzuki for his first birthday, and he is three and this past summer he was driving by himself, and driving very well. Driving the ATV's made me a better driver behind the wheel. It's all about respect!!:thumb

A lot has to do with upbringing and attention by the parents. I have seen only a few (two actually) teens driving corvettes in my area. One is the biggest idiot, the other, just another member of the club.

I put my toys on storage insurance for the winter. The two Birds drop to 18 a month each, down from 25 while on full coverage. The vette drops to mid 20's if I recall, down from 58 a month. Not huge savings, but better in my pocket than the insurance companies.:)

Those are really good points that I hadn't thought about.

You're right, the average age of people driving corvettes is 40+, I've only seen like, one other guy that might be close to my age driving one. Most people my age are driving things like Mustangs or ricers and boy do they drive like idiots lol. It gets worse when they see me in my vette, they feel the need to show off :bash Sorry to say, its gonna take more than a recent mustang to impress me at this point :D A '69 might do the job though ^_^

Like I said, I don't know how insurance works. If they're just going by statistics and demographics, then perhaps I don't have too bad of a car after all considering the average age of people driving them and the fact that there aren't many corvette accidents. My clean history definitely won't hurt either.

You cannot put chains on a Corvette.

Maybe not old fashioned chains with stock tire sizes....however I've used Traction Cables for 17 years with OEM size and driven in all sorts of conditions. The front end actually acts like a snow plow in deeper powder...and the cables shoot a "Rooster Tail" many feet behind the Vette like a speedboat...appropriate considering the corvettes are naval vessels too.

BTW, Dont forget to add some rear weight for traction as well. Sporty's tool shop sells this neet product the "Sand Caddy" to add some rear weight...and looks better than a bag of sand!Sand Caddy - Sporty's Tool Shop
:w
Every order also enters you to win a 2010 Corvette! (So if you win it you can sell it to buy a ZR1 or other cool c4):chuckle

About the thought of towing with a vette.. I just want to point out that in the owners manual for a '96 vette, Chevy does not recomend towing with a vette. You are far better off either renting a uhaul and towing your vette with it, or shipping your stuff and driving your vette! Vettes are designed to haul A$$, not lots of stuff! :boogie

The best bet for operating a Corvette in the snow is winter tires on all four corners. Set up like that, a Vette makes a passable "snow car" as long as you're on plowed roads or unplowed roads with snow only as deep as the distance from the bottom of the front air dam to the road. The problem can be finding winter tires in the sizes you need.

If Wisconsin uses salt, you'll need to regularly pressure blast the underneath of the car to wash the salt away.

Agreed... Vettes aren't bad at all in the snow with winter tires on all four wheels as long as the snow doesn't get too deep.

You can probably easily find a low cost, pre-owned, front wheel drive drive car to use during the winter if you don't want to drive the Vette. Use the same philosophy and install winter tires on all four wheels and these front wheel drive cars are very capable in snow and on icy roads.

93Rubie, I figured that you could tell that my remark was in jest by calling you a young whippersnapper. You are exactly correct about the vast majority of Corvette owners. We are mostly grey haired, fat white guys. Just go to any Corvette gig, and that is what you will see. I actually love to see the exceptions to this rule at the gigs I attend. If the Corvette hobby cannot attract a wider demographic group, many of these Corvette events will shrink in size or be eliminated. So, I am very happy to see new young forum members. Remember, some of us old guys still have a sense of humor.
My first Corvette was a 6 speed Ruby coupe. It was a very sweet ride. I'm trying to buy it back from my brother. I'll even sell my 92 Z07 when the time comes to open up a space in the garage. If yours is in great shape, and you can afford it, don't sell, just park it in a corner of your garage. When you reach my age, you will be real proud to drive a beautiful classic Corvette that you have owned for 40 years.

93Rubie, I figured that you could tell that my remark was in jest by calling you a young whippersnapper. You are exactly correct about the vast majority of Corvette owners. We are mostly grey haired, fat white guys. Just go to any Corvette gig, and that is what you will see. I actually love to see the exceptions to this rule at the gigs I attend. If the Corvette hobby cannot attract a wider demographic group, many of these Corvette events will shrink in size or be eliminated. So, I am very happy to see new young forum members. Remember, some of us old guys still have a sense of humor.
My first Corvette was a 6 speed Ruby coupe. It was a very sweet ride. I'm trying to buy it back from my brother. I'll even sell my 92 Z07 when the time comes to open up a space in the garage. If yours is in great shape, and you can afford it, don't sell, just park it in a corner of your garage. When you reach my age, you will be real proud to drive a beautiful classic Corvette that you have owned for 40 years.

Oh, sorry, if I over reacted, those kinds of thing are hard to pick up on with forums. At least for me any way. How about I do that in the off season and drive it the rest of the time. I only put on about 3000 miles a year any how. So if it is got 52000 on it now it will take me....over 20 years to get 111000 miles on it. The LT1 might just be getting broke in by that time.

I don't know if this has been done but couldn't narrower wheels be purchased ? Mount narrow slightly taller tires for winter driving.
Most modern cars don't have much more ground clearance than the corvettes.

Glenn
:w

Its really sad that most people dont even know how to drive rear wheel cars in snow anymore. We did it in the 70's and 80's all the time. You just have to plan ahead or "aim high in steering" :)

..... You are exactly correct about the vast majority of Corvette owners. We are mostly grey haired, fat white guys. Just go to any Corvette gig, and that is what you will see. I actually love to see the exceptions to this rule at the gigs I attend. If the Corvette hobby cannot attract a wider demographic group, many of these Corvette events will shrink in size or be eliminated.

Know what the BIGGEST reason we younger folk (being kind to myself here) dont like cruises and car shows?
THE MUSIC!!! Its practically MuSAK!:puke All the 50's era doo wop garbage (being kind here)!!!! :puke:puke:puke
At the VERY LEAST we need some Zeppelin!! Or even a mix of every decade would bring people out in DROVES! Either that or Like Morrisey sang....."HANG THE DJ!":w

Know what the BIGGEST reason we younger folk (being kind to myself here) dont like cruises and car shows?
THE MUSIC!!! Its practically MuSAK!:puke All the 50's era doo wop garbage (being kind here)!!!! :puke:puke:puke
At the VERY LEAST we need some Zeppelin!! Or even a mix of every decade would bring people out in DROVES! Either that or Like Morrisey sang....."HANG THE DJ!":w

I WILL SECOND THAT BIG TIME!!! I go to lots of shows during the summer around here in Western PA, and the one DJ has been doing this since the 50's and he is old, like way old. That is all he plays is stinkin 50's doo wop. I mean can we at least mix it up some JUST A FREAKEN LITTLE!!!
For the record I'm 22 and I listen to mostly classic rock, ie. Zeppelin, Jimi, etc...but I enjoy lots of different kinds of music.

This guy is so bad I had to request some Beach Boys for crying out loud. I asked him why he doesn't play much of that. He said because HE doesn't like the Beach Boys. Tell me what is a car show without hearing 409, Little Duce Coupe, and Shutdown at least once? Seriously!!!

I used to go to a cruise-in Brunswick, OH when I lived there for a couple years. I sat with a friend from work, at the up edge of the parking lot away from the DJ. Why, we listened to all the real music coming by, as people came and went they drove there "machines" by us. Nothing like a big block Chevy with flowmasters to make an evening complete. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom