Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TOWING? ? ?

o3TLson19s

Corvette
2000 Red FRC (dad's)
Alright guys i know this isn't no truck . .but im selling my lightning to get a vette and i have a jet ski. . unfortunatly i might need to put a hitch on the vette to tow it . . and i was woundering how do they pull. . and what has anyone towed with it . . . (it is actually a 2 place jet ski trailer) help me please. . the truck is being picked up on wednesday or thursday and the same day i belive im going to buy my 2002 convertable im excited. . .how ever i have been around vettes for 7 years now (daddy owns one and 2 of my buddies have c6s

The owner's manual states that the Corvette is not designed to have a hitch installed. However, I have seen it done. A guy I know has a '98 Pace Car with a hitch. He has a small trailer painted to match his Vette. So it can be done.

Welcome to the CAC!

one of our local Vette club members has a C5 vert that has a small trailer he tows all over the country.
DSC02161crop.jpg

Friken amazing....all I can say :)

ok so there is def. hope!!! now i of course want to lower it and put 20s . . do you think this will be a problem trying to tow a trailer? ?
My lightning tows a 24 foot boat with a full 2nd story with ease on the 23s i know im not going to be able to do that. . but boat ramps with a stick car. . . seems like it is going to be interesting. . i know my first mistake can cost me my car though

this is what i have now
RonnyRandompicsdec-1.jpg

RonnyRandompicsdec-4.jpg

but boat ramps with a stick car. . . seems like it is going to be interesting. . i know my first mistake can cost me my car though

there was a series of pictures showing a yellow C5 going for a swim doing just that

Vett with a trailer just don't make sense, it's like sailng with an anchor overboard.

A vett probably will not be able to back down the ramp far anough to float the skis off the trailer. I think it's a bad idea to tow anything of any weight with a vett. The rear is just not designed for that, a solid axle works the best for that purpose. You might encounter serious alignment issues down the road. Keep the truck for tow work and get the vett for fun:upthumbs .

Hell, if nothing else, just sale your current truck and buy a good used pick up for towing.

:upthumbs

Speaking of capacity's, the vehicle capacity weight on my '04 is only 399 lbs!!! Is that true?

According to the manual the vehicel capacity weight is the weight of all occupants and nonfactory-installed options. I weigh about 250. So if the wife asks me to pick up a few gallons of milk, I may just have to say, no way babe, Vetts's got a weight limit. Take the Durango.

Speaking of capacity's, the vehicle capacity weight on my '04 is only 399 lbs!!! Is that true?

According to the manual the vehicel capacity weight is the weight of all occupants and nonfactory-installed options. I weigh about 250. So if the wife asks me to pick up a few gallons of milk, I may just have to say, no way babe, Vetts's got a weight limit. Take the Durango.

Hmm, interesting question, Nevets.

I checked in the CAC's Model Center- I was looking specifically at the 2003, because I own a 2003. The 2003 Specifications Page doesn't talk weight, it talks in terms of volume (and I believe all the other years for the C5 model run are the same way.) For 2003, these are the cargo volumes:

Cargo volume (cu ft / liters):Coupe: 24.8 / 702; Convertible: 13.9 / 394; Z06: 13.3 / 377

I believe the dimensions are the same across all years of the C5.

How that translates to weight, I cannot say. I can tell you that in 2005 and 2006, I made the trip to Cruisefest at Bowling Green as part of a caravan. Many of those vehicles had two occupants and were laiden with luggage, and none of them had any issues on the two day trip we made to get there.

:w
-Patrick

Hi Patrick,

In the 04 manual (posted at this site BTW, thank you) starting on page 4-33 and continuing to 4-37, there's a discussion regarding weight limits and I see at least two caution windows that say:

"Do not load your vehicle any heavier than the
GVWR, or either the maximum front or rear
GAWR. If you do, parts on your vehicle can
break, and it can change the way your vehicle
handles. These could cause you to lose
control and crash. Also, overloading can
shorten the life of your vehicle."

I know overloading any vehicle can be problematic for other cars but here it says some parts could break and lead to a possible crash!

I'm just curious as to what parts may break, because exceeding 399 lbs (on the driver side door label) is easy to do.

Has anyone experienced any broken parts due to overloading?

Thanks

Some of the funniest things you'll ever want to see occur at the boat ramp, but most of 'em are VERY expensive ph**k ups.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom