Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPI Intake airfoil? K&N Filter?

T

Ted Krempa

is the 'airfoil' of any value or just a gimmick? (96 LT1)

Also, I assume a K&N filter is a good thing..

Thanks, Ted

Yeah, the air foil is pretty much a gimmick. Might give you 1 or 2 HP with a fully built motor.:L

K&N is a good thing to have.

tedkrempa said:
is the 'airfoil' of any value or just a gimmick?

tedkrempa said:
a K&N filter is a good thing.
Opinions vary; depends on your goal. I suggest using the search feature for prior threads--->>more than you will care to read.
:w

With the K&N filter, you'll feel an instantaneous difference. I bought my CORVETTE with an air-foil, last time I saw it it was on the floor underneath my tool box.:eyerole

Also, take a grinder to that air filter lid and cut off those "gills" that it has to breath to. Basically, cut it down to just the outer frame.

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:
Good way to do it Edmund. You can't buy the K&N lid seperately from Mid America. Good project for me this weekend

I think Ecklers or some of the other sites such as TPIS may have those lids. However, they are in the $50-60 range. Why pay that when you already have one that you can cut? Or you could buy one from the Corvette salvage yards such as www.vette2vette.com and have a spare one in case.

K&N lid

am I reading here that the K&N will not fit in the stock box without cutting something?

Be careful when oiling the K&N filter. If there is too much oil on the filter it will migrate with the air flow and coat the MAF sensor. In turn at at some time down the road your computer will issue a MAF trouble code. It happened to me twice. My mechanic ever so gently cleaned the MAF and suggested that I use an ordinary filter. The extra horsepower isn't worth messing with the MAF sensor, a very expensive item to replace. My humble opinion anyway.

Ted,

The K&N will fit the factory housing okay. However the OEM has some obstructions in the way of braces that can be cut out so just the perimeter frame only is holding the filter in.

thanks for all the info. I am concerned about a MAF issue. Wonder if it's worth the risk. Maybe a newer model does not have that issue.

The '89 and '90, I believe don't use a MAF. I'd be one to dispute the noticeable gains w/ just a filter change. But, that's just me. :w

tedkrempa said:
thanks for all the info. I am concerned about a MAF issue. Wonder if it's worth the risk. Maybe a newer model does not have that issue.

I've not had any issues with the K&N w/cut lid on my 94 LT1. It just allows a more direct path for the air through the filter. The only real thing I noticed was the sound. The factory lid was quiet, the open lid, when you stomp on it, sounds much meaner. Any measurable performance improvement? Maybe, in my mind.:D

tedkrempa said:

The only time when it's an issue is when you over oil the air filter. If you oil it properly, you won't have any issues. I haven't had any issues with over oiling the air filter in 4 years.

so many questions !!!

ok, another one. Is a 'build sheet' from the factory going to tell me anything that isn't on the window sticker? (I have the original sticker that came with the 96)

kalmwill said:
Be careful when oiling the K&N filter. If there is too much oil on the filter it will migrate with the air flow and coat the MAF sensor. In turn at at some time down the road your computer will issue a MAF trouble code. It happened to me twice. My mechanic ever so gently cleaned the MAF and suggested that I use an ordinary filter. The extra horsepower isn't worth messing with the MAF sensor, a very expensive item to replace. My humble opinion anyway.
I agree; I understand that there is very little performance gain with a stock engine and the stock filter will do a better job of filtering. I took out my K&N and replaced it with a paper filter. I didn't notice any difference in performance.

The cut-lid and K&N is almost everbodies first mod. Although no drastic gains can be had from the K&N filter, it's advertised as the last filter you'll have to buy and is pretty much true. Just clean and re-oil.

The trick with eliminating the sticky oil throw back is after re-oiling just let it sit "at least" overnight before installing it and you'll be fine.

:beer

Fick said:
I took out my K&N and replaced it with a paper filter. I didn't notice any difference in performance.
That's what tests showed, but is not the popular opinion. :w

It's difficult to measure, the only way to be sure is to measure it independantly on a Dyno banch...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom