Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! TPMS cannot reset! Option button isn't working!??

F

FastMike5

Hi here,

I dont usually have to ask for help. But my knowledge of corvettes is limited.

Ok, so my neighbor has a '98 C5, very low miles. I mean, hell he maybe put 300 miles on it last year.

He had to replace the TPMS on two of the wheels, so he just went ahead and changed all four. However he cannot access the menu to reset them because the damn option button won't work. All the other buttons work. So obviously we cannot reset it to learn the new TPMS's. So it still reads that the two bad ones are still bad

So, since I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not ( my searches have been inconclusive) I thought I'd ask you kind folks for some input.

Are the DIC buttons separate from the gauge cluster? If necessary can I just replace those buttons as a unit? And if it is separate from the gauge cluster, do you think I can just isolate the wire going to the options button? That's what I was going to try, just trying to put power to the options button. But obviously if it is a part of the gauge cluster, I may not be able to isolate the power going to just that button. Unless each DIC button has its own wire somewhere in the harness.

I don't know I'm just brainstorming here.

Any and all help would be very greatly appreciated.

While I await any response, I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram.

Thank you all very much!

Cheers!

OK,, I believe the 98 was like the rest of the C5s, in that you have to reset the TPMS with the use of a magnet. Here's a video that shows the process.

Oh! Make sure you are using #1 FOB during the retraining process. Sometimes, they won't program using the #2 FOB.

What I read here is that you can't sequence through the menu buttons on the side there to get to the TMPS programing? If so, yes you can replace those buttons. Whether that will solve the problem is the question that I really can't answer.

Thank you all!

What I read here is that you can't sequence through the menu buttons on the side there to get to the TMPS programing? If so, yes you can replace those buttons. Whether that will solve the problem is the question that I really can't answer.

firstly thank you all for your help and ideas I greatly appreciate them.

And yes he did have all four TPMS replaced (two were bad) but the options button on the DIC isn't working. Can't get into the menu to reprogram the new TPMS's. So, it's still is telling me that the two bad ones are bad.

We were concerned that that DIC buttons were integrated into the gauge cluster and not a separate unit.

But if you saying that just the buttons can be replaced, then do you know where I can get them/it (the DIC control, menu buttons on the right of the gauge cluster) or a part number or something?

Its just the damn options button that doesn't work

Thanks!

Attachments

• vemp_0907_03_z+c5_diagnostic_codes_driver_information_center+programming_buttons.jpg
    vemp_0907_03_z+c5_diagnostic_codes_driver_information_center+programming_buttons.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Don't remember ever using the "Option" button.

Try it this way once.....

Magnet method: With the key on, engine off, press both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. A horn chirp within 10 seconds indicates the TPMS receiver is in the programming mode. Place the magnet (Horse shoe or ring type) over the left front valve stem until the horn chirps. This forces the LF pressure sensor to transmit its code to the main module. Repeat the same procedure for the right front, right rear and left rear sensors in this order. Verify all four pressure readings are displayed on the driver information center.

Try it this way once.....

Magnet method: With the key on, engine off, press both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. A horn chirp within 10 seconds indicates the TPMS receiver is in the programming mode. Place the magnet (Horse shoe or ring type) over the left front valve stem until the horn chirps. This forces the LF pressure sensor to transmit its code to the main module. Repeat the same procedure for the right front, right rear and left rear sensors in this order. Verify all four pressure readings are displayed on the driver information center.

Great thanks!

I'll try that.

He wants to sell it because of this issuse. Lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom