Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Traction Control? Never Noticed

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
? I was out before dark last night on a bit of isolated four lane road,sitting at a light and played a little when taking off. No getting sideways or smoking the tires, but felt that the Corvette wanted to get sideways if I let it. Any way I only played from first through third. When I hit second I noticed a message which stated either "Traction Control Engaged or Traction Control On." I have never noticed this before. Is this a normal message one might receive from time to time, depending on how they may be driving at the moment?

Howard

Yes, that is normal. I think it says something like "traction control active". It means that the tires were spinning and the computer decided to limit the spin. You can also get a message that indicates that active handling has been engaged by the computer. Around here, the streets are covered with some type of de-icing solution. It is some magnesium salt, I think. It makes the streets kind of greasy. I can break the tires loose with very little effort, so I see that message quite often.

Howard,
That is actually fairly normal, when the PCM detects wheel slippage. I normally get the "active handling warming up" message after hitting a patch of gravel or ice.

Jim,
That solution they spray on the roads is Magnesium Chloride, basically a syrup designed to prevent the roads from icing over. Colorado DOT has been using it on interstates around here for about 8 or 9 years now. You are correct- when it first goes down on the road, it is a bit sloppy, and can certainly create a bit of slippage if you aren't expecting it.

-Patrick

? I was out before dark last night on a bit of isolated four lane road,sitting at a light and played a little when taking off. No getting sideways or smoking the tires, but felt that the Corvette wanted to get sideways if I let it. Any way I only played from first through third. When I hit second I noticed a message which stated either "Traction Control Engaged or Traction Control On." I have never noticed this before. Is this a normal message one might receive from time to time, depending on how they may be driving at the moment?

Howard

It was pretty routine for me in the 02 Z; haven't had the 99 out that much to tell. I used to get that message when pulling out of the subdivision (right hander, uphill, little bit of unever pavement) nearly every time unless I drove like Granny.

You haven't lived until you've swung the rear end halfway around and had the AH kick in and straighten you back out ;)

You just need to get on it more :L

And Then...........

There are the Solid Axle cars:boogie

Hey Pseudomind, not a big deal, but, is this a Corvette forum or a forum for you to tell me my religion is divisive? Keep it to yourself.

there is a button to turn traction control off if you really want to have some fun:lou

there is a button to turn traction control off if you really want to have some fun:lou

Ive noticed that button in my Vette myself ,and my Corvette Mechanic says the same thing that you say about it....But I'm too chicken to press it...what kind of "FUN" are you both talking about :)

Ive noticed that button in my Vette myself ,and my Corvette Mechanic says the same thing that you say about it....But I'm too chicken to press it...what kind of "FUN" are you both talking about :)
Push the button and hold it till the DIC says "Competitive Driving" Find a Nice Curvy Road and HIT it!!!
Hope your used to Dirt Tracking!!!!:lou :lou :lou:lou ;LOL :upthumbs

If you really want to see you Corvette get squirrelly when you rev it a bit and dump the clutch (get sideways) and maybe smoke you tires a bit do as gmjunkie has said. I would however suggest you first try it in a large empty parking lot away from light poles or other cars.

I should have probably stated I had never noticed the DIC indication before. (To busy)

As MsSchroder stated in her comment, I had been following a slow-a-poke for what seemed like forever one day. I got a chance to get around this individual at a left turn, the rear came around an additional 90 degrees and then we straightened up. I did not believe I had gunned it that hard and this was with the traction control on.

So yes, find that parking lot first, and if you really want to have some fun, do it when the lot is wet (turn off the traction control or put it in competitive mode). <--Just don't do it because I say to. ;):L:upthumbs

Remember the Pucker factor!

(turn off the traction control or put it in competitive mode). <--Just don't do it because I say to. ;):L:upthumbs

Remember the Pucker factor!
Won't be able to Drive a Pin up it with a 16lb Sledge Hammer!!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :rotfl

Fond memories. I will NEVER forget the day I bought my 98 coupe. Took it over to my partner's place of business and turned T/C off. Then proceded to nail the go button. Barely missed that BIG green dipsy dumpster. Never again. Competition Mode only from now on. When they break loose they do it in a very big hurry with little warning at all. Everybody got a good laugh out of it but me. Defintately a pucker factor day.

Fond memories. I will NEVER forget the day I bought my 98 coupe. Took it over to my partner's place of business and turned T/C off. Then proceded to nail the go button. Barely missed that BIG green dipsy dumpster. Never again. Competition Mode only from now on. When they break loose they do it in a very big hurry with little warning at all. Everybody got a good laugh out of it but me. Defintately a pucker factor day.

Yup! The only place I turn mine off is the autocross course. I use competitive driving mode for the drag strip.

Get 'r done right now :lou

Bill :w

Funny how that pucker factor wakes you up;LOL

;help This might sound dumb but what is the differance betwean "TC ON > Competition Mode > TC Off". I understand the differance betwean ON and Off ( plenty practice with it Off) but I dont know what the competition mode does?:confused I know I'm setting myself up with this question :wtcslap but I know you guys will be kind in your replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom