Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

trailer hitch on a Corvette?

Bob,
thanks for the photo! :) According to the photo you sent, mine does not appear to be factory installed.
The 2.5" hitch assembly is hidden behind the license plate and in part welded to part of the bumber assembly.
This is what I thought, since I'm sure I don't sport the FE7 suspension that comes with it.
Shawn

Shawn,

Are you sure the Gymkhana Suspension was included with the trailer hitch?

As I recall this involved a 7 leaf spring and a sway bar. I haven't counted the leaves but am pretty sure that there is no sway bar back there.

Bob

Bob,
I don't see a rear swaybar or existance of one. I do though have the 7-leaf spring installed . How else can you tell if you have the Gymkhana suspension?
Could it be that my hitch is "Dealer" installed and not factory. How might we get a clear definition on a trailer hitch set up. :crazy
Shawn

Bob,
In the Corvette spec manual from Chevy printed October 1977 (for the 1978's), it notes that the "Trailering package, consists of: V01 heavy duty radiator, standard engine with M38 transmission, and FE7 and FE7 Gymkhana suspension."

I'm sure the option was there to have the 4sp if you wanted. It also lists the info for the Gymkhana suspension parts.
So i'm not sure what to think I have? :confused. I have the 7 leaf spring, but no rear stabilizer bar. Go figure. :crazy

This might be one of those long term research projects.
Know of any sources we could call to verify???
Shawn

Bobchad and Shawn,

Are you sure the Gymkhana Suspension was included with the trailer hitch?

Yes! The FE7 Gyamkana suspension was a requirement for the trailering package. The Heavy Duty radiator was also required by the ZN1 option.

I'm sure the option was there to have the 4sp if you wanted. It also lists the info for the Gymkhana suspension parts.

Anything is possible; however, the ZN1 trailering package was only available (officially) on the automatic transmission-equipped corvettes for the 1981 year model.

I have the 7 leaf spring, but no rear stabilizer bar.

The actual spring is 2.5" wide and has 8 leafs in it for the 1981 year model. I talked with the Chevrolet Tech. Dept., and they told me that the very short leaf-like at the top is not considered a part of the spring as far as function is concerned. So when you count the leafs your count should come to nine minus the one that is not counted which leaves eight leafs. As a matter of fact, you'll find that if you order the Restoration Package from Chevrolet for the 1981 vette it shows on page 21 of the specification booklet at the very bottom has a note describing the FE7 Gymkana spring as an 8-leaf spring. I believe that the the 7-leaf spring was around in older corvettes. The rear stabilizer bar was unique to the FE7 suspension at the rear. As a matter of fact, the FE7 suspension also included "special" shock absorbers, but I have not been able to find the part number for them.

V01 heavy duty radiator....with M38 transmission

As far as I know, there was no option for the heavy-duty radiator unless one ordered the ZN1 trailering package. The 1981 RPO for the transmission was MX1. Nevertheless, one way to determine if one has the heavy-duty radiator is to measure the radiator core. It should be 26.3" wide; 17.0 " high; 2.68 " thick.

Could it be that my hitch is "Dealer" installed and not factory.

I agree! The hitch itself is nothing out of the ordinary (except that at best is a Class I/II hitch). However, I have brackets P/N 14028582 and there are two mounted on the Rear Impact bar of the bumber. Does everyone have these?

I appologize, but I do not have a camera ( I usually borrow the one from work and I am on vacation -no one can get me to show up at work when I am on vacation...:L) so that I could show you my set-up. Maybe I have been nice enough to receive one from Santa... :SANTA

The ZN1 option was good so that if one decided to install a hitch, then the corvette would be appropiately equipped to handle the job. ALL OF MY HITCH INFORMATION IS RELATED TO THE 1981 CORVETTE. OLDER VETTES MAY HAVE HAD VARYING OPTIONS AND SET-UP.

Trailer Hitch's

Shawn,

Perhaps soemone will chime in here if you give the inquiry a better name. Interest in trailer hitches on a vette is low in case you haven't noticed.

Bob

What in the Hell are all you brain dead-------Trailer hitch's on a Corvette--come on!!!!!:puke:puke:puke

He did a search, found all the old dead trailer hitch posts and bashed each one equally.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for someone that feels so strongly about a trailer hitch on a vette. Think I'll photoshop a big ol wing on the back of my vette and post a pic. :chuckle Different strokes, different folks.:L

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for someone that feels so strongly about a trailer hitch on a vette. Think I'll photoshop a big ol wing on the back of my vette and post a pic. :chuckle Different strokes, different folks.:L
Isn't that the truth

I removed the factory trailer hitch from my 79 when I bought it about a year ago. The trailer hitch is sitting in the corner collecting dust, not the car!

What in the Hell are all you brain dead-------Trailer hitch's on a Corvette--come on!!!!!:puke:puke:puke
Well some of us have class and a life, I personally like to go fishing!:thumb

What would you suggest I tow my Dingy with...... a Nissan Leaf?

:D

Donzi_zps8bea7d06.jpg

Nice dingy, Jesse. :D

:w

One of the reasons why i love being a member here, to each their own! If you dont like it, so what? ;) And if you follow the resurrection of the thread and it's replies, you will find that WE all go: To each their own! If it makes YOU happy, have at it..

One of my friends from here, SpanishVetts, has a C4 (a 90 383 stroker) with a hitch on it and pulls his wine around Europe when he is over. To quote him: "I have towed a thousand liters of wine from France to Spain and a boat from the UK to Africa."
And you know what? Good for him! :happyanim:

:w
Stefan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom