Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Trailing arm rebuild

Corvette
'74 383 4 spd coupe
Hey guys, the next big hurdle on the frame off restoration of my '74 coupe is rebuilding the trailing arms. Is this something that I can do myself? I have the trailing arms off the chasis, half shafts unbolted. Do I need to take them to someone with the capibilities of pulling the bearing off the spindles, or can I make a puller. How does the parking brake cover come off? I have a 1974 assembly manual and a '74 sevice manual but, they seem incomplete when it comes to overhauling the arms.
With you guys help, I have been able to do everything else with this restoration. Thanks for any information.

Going to need some specialized tools for this job. I use my 50 ton press to drive the spindle out. They sell a spindle knocker that you use a hammer on to drive out the spindle. There is another tool that is used it bolts to the caliper mount and the shock bolt they have been known to crack or break the caliper mount. The you need the setup tool and of course the shims and a dial indicator. After you have it set up you can press the bearing back on. Park brake backing plate will come off as soon as the spindle is removed.

If you have access to a surface grinder and press you can. You will need to buy or make a setup tool. Use the knocker to remove the spindle and bearing splitter to remove the outer bearing. If you look up my handle on google you'll find my long thread on how to do the job with a lot of pictures. Out of respect to this forum I won't place a direct link to another forum.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I realize it will be easier and alot quicker to job this part of the project out. But, I have done everything else myself and it has now become a point of pride. I have found a guy locally who sets up trailing arms and is reccommended by the areas vette club. Again thanks for being here for guys like me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom