Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tranny noise

L

lakeview

i have a 2001 C-5 coupe, get alot of noise when starting out in first gear, sounds like its in 2nd ? only thing i can think of is pilot bearing,or throw out bearing? anyone hear of this?

i have a 2001 C-5 coupe, get alot of noise when starting out in first gear, sounds like its in 2nd ? only thing i can think of is pilot bearing,or throw out bearing? anyone hear of this?
C5's has allot of Clutch and Flywheel noise!!! Does it sound like a Box of Rocks or Marbles Rattling?? If so it's probably the Duel Mass Flywheel!! Thats Normal!!!:chuckle Sorry,but it's true!!!:upthumbs

i guess it does sound that way, only in first!
thanks
sp

If it sounds like marbles in a can, it is normal for the C5. If you give it a bit more gas in 1st gear while letting out the clutch, you can reduce the noise or eliminate it.

If it sounds like marbles in a can, it is normal for the C5. If you give it a bit more gas in 1st gear while letting out the clutch, you can reduce the noise or eliminate it.

do they all sound that way or more then others?

Yeah,the clutch makes more noise on a C5 than a C4!!! But the C4 6sp tranny makes allot more Noise than the C5 6 sp tranny!!! Some of them don't hardly make any noise,and some of them Sound Like a Rock Crusher!!!:boogieI have 3 C5's here on the lot with 6 sp's. 1 is Quite as a Church mouse and the other 2 are a bit noisy!!I have 1 C4 with a 6 sp and the Transmission sounds like a pick up Truck in Duel Low taking off!!! :upthumbs The noise on a C5 puts me in mind of a Diesel rattle but not as pronounced!!

Try this: put the car in neutral (engine running) and let out the clutch. Then put in the clutch. I hear quite a bit less noise when I put in the clutch. I am told that is normal.

However, I just had my clutch replaced. I got a new noise that sounded like a chatter when I let the clutch out in first, or when I shifted down to second to go around a corner. It turns out that the pilot bearing failed. So I had a new flywheel, slave cylinder, throw-out bearing, clutch plate, etc installed. I went with OEM. My point is that it might be a normal sound and it might not. It most likely is normal, but it would not hurt to have someone who knows C5 Corvettes give it a listen.

If you get a little noise when letting out the clutch in first gear at low RPM, marbles in a can, that is faory typical of C5s. I beleive these cars us a dual disk clutch setup from the factory. When sitting still and letting the clutch out in neutral, you may or may not hear some rattling. In this situation, I always pump the clutch in and out a few times and the noise quiets down. This is different than the noise when taking off in 1st.

If you are hearing noise and getting a shudder or non linear engagement of the clutch when taking off in first, you might get it checked out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom