Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: transmission gone wierd

English Guy

Corvette
89 red coupe
Hi, I have just drained the old transmission oil, cleaned the pan and magnet. After bolting the pan back on and putting some new trans oil in I tried to reverse off the wheel ramps but the car won't go into gear:ugh! I bolted the cable guide bracket with the 2 bolts back on but am not sure if I have done it right! Any idea's guys? Thank you

How many quarts of tranny fluid did you put in????
Was there any showing on the dipstick? ???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

How many quarts of tranny fluid did you put in????
Was there any showing on the dipstick? ???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Hi there, I only put 1.5-2.0 litres in just to get the car off the ramp onto level ground to get a proper dipstick reading to top it up. Nothing showing on dipstick.

Use a jack to lift one side at a time and and lower the car back onto the ground then check the fluid level. You are probably 2 liters low and that may be why it won't go into gear. but the safest thing to do is get it off the wheel ramps without trying to use the transmission. If you have a couple of friends handy they might be able to push the car off the ramps.

Use a jack to lift one side at a time and and lower the car back onto the ground then check the fluid level. You are probably 2 liters low and that may be why it won't go into gear. but the safest thing to do is get it off the wheel ramps without trying to use the transmission. If you have a couple of friends handy they might be able to push the car off the ramps.
I have got the car off the ramps and topped up the oil and thankfully the car now goes into gear:):):)! Strange thing is tho, the reverse seems really weedy and needs a bit more rpm to to move car? I have put in the right amount of oil but the car has only been idling for a few minutes, would the oil need a while to circulate round the transmission a bit more guys?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom