Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

transmission leak

juggernaut

Corvette
1988 white coupe
HI guys, I have a tranny leak from my 88 coupe (AT) but, I'm not sure where it is because it isn't a continual leak. Is there a place where they normally leak from?

juggernaut said:
HI guys, I have a tranny leak from my 88 coupe (AT) but, I'm not sure where it is because it isn't a continual leak. Is there a place where they normally leak from?

Maybe the input shaft seal or the tourque converter itself. I think I read some place that there is a breather that can vent fluid sometimes.

Not to steal your thread but is there anything I should have put on a cork transmission pan gasket to get it to stop leaking? I had a bad pan leak because previous owner used RTV on a cork style pan cover. I didn't know there were 3 types of pans and 3 types of gaskets specific to each, rubber, cork and RTV. Anyway I used the correct gasket/filter kit and proper tourque and pattern and it is still leaking, albeit a lot less. I tried tightening a little over torque but I don't want to snap a bolt but it still leaks. What did I do wrong?

At first I thought my pan was leaking, but found out it was the manual selector shaft seal. I recommend buying one from the dealer as the one from AutoZone didn't fit right and I had to do it over again.:)

Was there any way the pan was dropped on its lip while you were doing the change. A slightly bent lip on the sealing surface will cause a leak. Don't over tighten the fasteners, you will break the gasket.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom