Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission problem

S

SwansC4

I have a C4 with 32000 miles. About a month ago, I drove to Springfield for the Police Memorial. On the way back my transmission would downshift from overdrive then back to overdrive. A short distance later I was home. When I put the car in park, the transmission didn't lock. I let the car sit awhile, then it locked in park.
I let the car sit for about two weeks. When I took it out for a test drive she wouldn't shift out of second gear.
If anyone can give me some direction on what to do, I would appreciate it

Thanks!!!!!!

HI there,
I am assuming that you have an automatic.
I would check the governor gear, located in the rear side of the transmission housing, first. To see if there are any problems, but it seems that you have internal transmission issues.
Please let us know how you make out, c4c5:hb

Shift Cable Adjustment

It sounds like it could be the shift cable out of adjustment. It makes sense with some of those symptoms. The adjustment is easy, but dangerous if you don't have the vehicle properly supported and chalked. From what I recall is to loosen the cable adjustment bolt and totally remove the cable assembly from the transmission. Shift the gear selector to neutral and back. Re-install the cable, pulling the slack out and tighten down the cable adjustment bolt to secure it. Maybe somebody out there has the Chilton's with the correct terms, and procedure, but that is the jist of it. Hope that is all it is! I would also check the throttle cable adjustment procedure. The linkage also controls vacuum to the transmission shift modulator.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom