Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

transmission removal

B

BJS1977

i planned to remove the th350 from my 1977 in a week or so. i planned to do this in my driveway with jack stands and hand tools. i was under the impression that it was not terribly difficult, but. after talking to my neighbor he says i need some special tools, for what i don't know, a trans jack, removing the crossmember and a bunch of other stuff thats gonna take forever. so, i'm looking for input from you guys that have done this already and how hard was it really. any input would be appriciated. thanks.

While I haven't removed a trans from a Shark, I have done so on other cars. The main thing that comes up is having access to all the mounting bolts. Some cars can be difficult, but I'll take a look at my Vette to see what it's like. The transmission jack you want to use, because it makes everything easier to move around. Especially concerning installation. They can be expensive, but you can usually rent one from any quality tool rental place in your area. There is also an adaptor that most places sell for around $40 that would adapt a big floor jack to handle this as well.

The crossmember is a bolt-on deal, so it should not be so difficult either. As long as you pick your car up far enough, acess should not be so much of a problem. Do be careful around the mounting tabs that hold on the trans, tunnel insulation. They can be sharp, as I cut myself on one while poking around up there, awhile back. I can't think of any other special tools you will need, unless you were to tear-down the tranny yourself. Everything looks pretty much straightforward, which is why I love these old cars, but even on newer ones, the transmission removal is not terribly difficult. That's my experience though. Good luck! :D

--Bullitt

Automatic, or Standard trans? It makes a difference.

Special tools? Not really, just a good long 3/8" extension, good jack, jack stands, and plenty of time.

If it is an auto, the job is fairly easy.

First, jack it WAY up. Pull the pan/and or drain the trans fluid and put the pan back on. Pull the driveshaft and linkage.

Pull the dust cover, then unbolt the three torque converter bolts.

There are about six bolts that go into the engine through the trans bell housing. Remove those, and pay attention as many of them have clips holding wire harnesses etc.

Now these are actually the trick because you may have to unbolt the cross member and rear trans mounts and allow the whole engine and trans to tilt down a tad to reach them clear of the firewall and trans hump.

With the cross member out, bellhousing bolts, torque converter bolts, and driveshaft, linkage, and cooler lines, it is ready to drop out.

A stick is a different animal all together. That cross member welds in place, the shifter assembly has to come off, the trans has to be removed at the trans to tran bell housing, etc, etc.

Transmission

I bought a trans.jack at harbor freight for $40.00.Nothing fancy but work's well if you don't have to use it to make a living.Also you need some sort of jack for the engine so you can stop it from hanging to low.One last thing,make sure the converter is in the trans.all the way or the front pump will be history when you go back in with it.It is not a hard job.Get the car safley high enough,just guessing,at least 2 foot.

Here is a good tip for you. If you have some extra rims and tires laying around, stuff them on their sides up under the nose and rear frame after you have jacked the car up. This way if it falls off the stands it can't crush anybody underneath it.

thanks everyone. the special tools were supposedly for some kind of special fitting that needs to be removed. also, the "passing gear" is a real pain to deal with? i'm not big into transmissions but i don't know what that means. is there some kind of assembly manual or something else that can walk me through it. i have never done this before but it still seems kind of simple. any advice is appreciated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom