Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tremec 5 Speed Swap

AussieCorvetteNut

Corvette
1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
Hi guys,

I wanted to know if anyone could help me source a conversion kit (excluding tremec transmission) for a TKO 500 or TKO 600, to replace my DNE 4+3.

I have decided to pull the engine and 4+3 out of the 84 and rebuild the engine, but upgrade the transmission to tremec.
I have two DNE 4+3 Transmissions, but I can't guarantee that I will get overdrive if the electrics do not work, so I am ditching the 4+3's.

Hib Halverson suggested a Richmond transmission, but I cannot get anyone from richmond to respond.

I can get the tremec transmission here in Australia as the Aussie Dollar is crap at the moment and a $3500 USD transmission will cost $4850 AUD coming through customs. :mad
Try getting that past the Wife...:eyerole

I only need the conversion kit with 31 spline yoke, torque arm adapter, rubber isolator mount, electronic speedo adapter, reverse light adapter, needle pilot bearing, shifter boot/ shifter handle/ 5 speed ball, tunnel modification template/ plate.
The selector is still on the left side, the right hand drive conversion hasn't changed any of this.

SST have a conversion only kit, but I am still waiting for final prices...still not the cheapest so far from early figures.

The 4+3 had gear oil in the trans cooler lines...:ugh

Appreciate your help.

Cheers Tony

Why use a Tremec when the ZF was an OEM trans for the C4?

I might take a look at this option.

Do you know if there are any changes to the trans tunnel?
I would assume that it may be as easy as plug and play, what about the digital speedo.

You know this option may be cheaper that the Tremec.

:beer

Tony

The trans tunnel will need to be modified regardless of which trans is used. I posted some pics in a previous thread. The ZF retains a stock look and uses all stock pieces.
The speedo works altho the polarity of the VSS connector requires switching.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help you or not. I have an 86 convertible that had the 4+3 swapped for a Tremec TR 3550 5 speed prior to my purchasing it. I had the clutch slave go out on it right after purchase and my mechanic let me get under it for a look (that was the only time I was under it). From what I saw and could tell everything before the tranny (bellhousing, slave, etc) and after the tranny (driveshaft, c-beam, etc) all looked to be oem. I could not see a lot of the tranny tunnel from the bottom but I did not see any indication of mods being made to it.

Two things I did notice though is the tranny cooler lines to the radiator were capped off as there does not appear to be any fittings on the tranny for one. The other is there is a DakotaDigital convertor in the speedometer wiring to convert the tranny supplied signal to one that speedometer will read.

That's all I can tell you on it. Hopefully there's something there that may be of use.

Good luck.

I don't know if this will help you or not. I have an 86 convertible that had the 4+3 swapped for a Tremec TR 3550 5 speed prior to my purchasing it. I had the clutch slave go out on it right after purchase and my mechanic let me get under it for a look (that was the only time I was under it). From what I saw and could tell everything before the tranny (bellhousing, slave, etc) and after the tranny (driveshaft, c-beam, etc) all looked to be oem. I could not see a lot of the tranny tunnel from the bottom but I did not see any indication of mods being made to it.

Two things I did notice though is the tranny cooler lines to the radiator were capped off as there does not appear to be any fittings on the tranny for one. The other is there is a DakotaDigital convertor in the speedometer wiring to convert the tranny supplied signal to one that speedometer will read.

That's all I can tell you on it. Hopefully there's something there that may be of use.

Good luck.

G'day, thanks for the information, it definitely confirms what information I have to date.
It is good to get a solid reference to the theory or instructions.

From what I have gathered (or interpreted), the TKO 600 is a replacement for the TR3550, so your conversion is almost the same.
I like the conversion kit from SST (Silver Sport Transmissions) who purchased Keisler Transmissions.
Their kit contains C Beam mount, rubber mounts and boots, shifter and boot, sheet metal for the trans tunnel conversion, 31 spline yoke and universal joint, pigtails for the reverse and speedo circuits, needle pilot bearing and very clear instructions.
They recommend running Mobil 1 Syncromesh or no warranty on the Tremec, also they highlight to disconnect the steering lock out or the steering will lock while you are driving...:ugh

It is funny you say that you noticed the cooler lines were capped off. I was under "Blue" yesterday removing the exhaust, tagging and disconnecting wires and connectors and saying I won't need this, I won't need this...broken record all day.
The DNE had gear oil in the cooler lines, so the bearing seals on the trans are gone and putting gear oil in the OD Unit. This kills the OD unit, and is why I can't get 5th.
All my cooler lines are coming out as well as the air pump lines, exhaust, exhaust manifolds and if the small coolant leak I have at the rear of the block is not a welch plug, I will be looking around for a new inlet manifold...renegade make a crossfire manifold, but it ain't cheap.
My brother in law keeps saying to me to put a TPI on it, but I am keen to keep the TBI's. At least it will say Crossfire Injection on the fender and then back it up when you lift the hood.
Although the TPI is better, if I wanted a TPI Vette, I would have purchased one.
I am rebuilding the engine first, so a general tidy up, maybe roller rockers if they will fit under those valve covers.

Another point I like so far compared to using older technology and using a ZF Trans, is that I won't need to change my diff. I am rebuilding it of course, but the ZF is also very expensive to repair.

The Tremec is just expensive to buy...the $3695 USD Kit is low $7000 by the time it gets here, dollar conversions and the Australian Criminals, I mean Government gets 15% import duty and 10% tax...:mad

Cheers

Tony

Seeing I don't know that kit, this is just some thoughts. I thought the steering wheel only locked via the key, not the manual transmission or are you talking the key locking up th e shifter? Might that be if you had an automatic? Same thing with modifying the tunnel.
I thought all the 84-88's had an external push slave cylinder while the newer ones had the slave on the transmission shaft. The newer ones I thought didn't have the pivot and arm (on the ZF transmissions) like the 4+3's did. I'm assuming you could switch from the older style to the newer but I don't know if it takes a different bell housing and clutch style going from the external to internal, but I suspect it does.
One more thing, if you go from an external to internal slave, it's possible it may take a different clutch master cylinder. Again I don't know for sure, just a thought.

Update -thought of something later, is your shifter on the left side of the tunnel? Mine is, maybe that's why no tunnel mods seen. One more thing, the slave on mine is external,on the outside of the bellhousing.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom