Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TREMEC TRANNY

R

R.T.

Has anyone had a problem with the Tremec 5 speed TKO getting stuck in 4th gear. :mad

Has anyone had a problem with the Tremec 5 speed TKO getting stuck in 4th gear. :mad

I have one in my 65. I think I was the first to install one on the Forum . Mine has worked fine for the last 3 years. No problem.

Don't know where you bought yours but ..I would make a call first and field this question to the tech. Also.. how about contacting Tremec direct and run your problem by them .

It could be a linkage problem. Since the linkage is in the top part of the tranny maybe the problem can be addressed with out removing the unit.

Just my $.02 worth.
:beer

I have talked to Keisler and Tremec and it "so they say" hasn't happened before although they just got one shipped back with the same prob, and I know of another Camaro with the same isue. On acceleration in 4th it sticks. The middle dog in front the shifter gets stuck forward so you have to take the inspection cover off and move it back,,no easy task. $4600 tranny and I have to take it out and send it back,,no easy task either.

Bossvette has had his for several years and I've never heard of him having a problem. If he put it in with the 383 it has well over 100k on it. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

Tom

I have talked to Keisler and Tremec and it "so they say" hasn't happened before although they just got one shipped back with the same prob, and I know of another Camaro with the same isue. On acceleration in 4th it sticks. The middle dog in front the shifter gets stuck forward so you have to take the inspection cover off and move it back,,no easy task. $4600 tranny and I have to take it out and send it back,,no easy task either.

I hope you mean $2,600 tranny....

$4322.00 to be exact,,,,,
I have the order on a PDF but I don't know how to upload it to post. It's a
TKO 600 starts at $3195 then the bell housing flywhell clutch etc etc etc.

All the extras will do it.

too much money

I am getting mine from Keisler. $3395 for tranny, driveshaft, shifter, mounts, video, etc....just use your stock bellhousing and buy a new clutch. Not too expensive.

Just don't try putting one in a 63. Doesn't work with solid mounts and too many mods needed to make it work.

I did a TKO install in Y2K back before the days of Kiesler and the offset shifter. I have well over 40,000 miles with no problems but I have a B&M ripper and it is not in the stock location; I like it that way the Ripper shifts just takes a flick of the wrist. :upthumbs

BTW my install was less then $3000 flywheel to U-joint and the basic TKO trans is still $1975
http://www.fortesparts.com/index.cfm

I did a TKO install in Y2K back before the days of Kiesler and the offset shifter. I have well over 40,000 miles with no problems but I have a B&M ripper and it is not in the stock location; I like it that way the Ripper shifts just takes a flick of the wrist. :upthumbs

BTW my install was less then $3000 flywheel to U-joint and the basic TKO trans is still $1975
http://www.fortesparts.com/index.cfm

Boss. Whas it a 63 or 64? If it was your 68 we're talking a whole different setup up as far as clearances and body mounts.

Boss. Whas it a 63 or 64? If it was your 68 we're talking a whole different setup up as far as clearances and body mounts.
Actually it is in my 76 I will be putting it in the 68 with a fresh 383 next year.
I had to modify the trans mount and the shifter location but thats about it, pretty much a straight forward trans swap. the only differance is the shifter location.
DSC01155.JPG

Actually it is in my 76 I will be putting it in the 68 with a fresh 383 next year.
I had to modify the trans mount and the shifter location but thats about it, pretty much a straight forward trans swap. the only differance is the shifter location.
DSC01155.JPG

Boy I wish the 63 was easy. What a nightnare. Had to raise the entire body and then none of the doors and other body panels fit correctly. To top all of that I hate the 1st gear ratio and now my brand new throwout bearing is howling.

Good luck on the swap.
Sal

anything over a 3:36 with the TKO is a waste I have a set of 3:08 R&P on the way to replace the 3:70's in the 68. I will find out ;shrug the 68 has aluminum body mounts and sits about an inch to 1 1/2 inches lower then the 76 does I may have to swap to later rubber body mounts to get the body up a little but that will smooth out the ride. The C5 has spoiled me, I hear every little creak and groan when driving the 68.

anything over a 3:36 with the TKO is a waste I have a set of 3:08 R&P on the way to replace the 3:70's in the 68. I will find out ;shrug the 68 has aluminum body mounts and sits about an inch to 1 1/2 inches lower then the 76 does I may have to swap to later rubber body mounts to get the body up a little but that will smooth out the ride. The C5 has spoiled me, I hear every little creak and groan when driving the 68.

Man a C6 would make you cry then.

If you want to drive a sweet ride try one of the Cadillac's CTS-V cars. They have the ride of a Caddy with a Corvette motor and 6 speed. I almost bought one last week but think I'm going to get on the waiting list for an 08. They are coming out with the LS6 motor. If I can confirm that fact as well as being able to order one with an automatic/ paddle shift, I'm sold. They are very, very fast and handle extremely well.:cool

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Corvette-1963-67-Kit-Select.aspx

I will say, bar none, next to my engine, heavily modified 327+, this is with out a doubt, the best mod you will ever make on your C1, C2. It makes your car a totally different car:confused

I wish I was as impressed as you are. With a 355:1, 1st is worthless, 2,3,4 are ok and 5th is ok for the express way. In hind sight I wish I had gone with a Richmond from what I've heard or just saved my money. IMHO

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom