Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tri power intake

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
Looking for a tri power setup. Other than the $2500 unit from jegs, does anyone else make one? I saw that Edelbrock makes a 3x2 intake for the SBC but nothing for BBC. I wonder why???;shrug
Ebay is worthless, everyone wants to get rich off the originals. Any idea?

Is 3-twos is what you want, it's hard to find an original at a "good" price, especially if it's the rec-port, hi-po unit. Even harder to find is a "high-rise", rec-port, 3x2 manifold off a '67.

You get one of those and three properly tuned carbs and you'll easily outdo a four-barrel set up.

Barry Grant makes them. Here's a link to Paceperformance that sells an engine with it They are pretty sharp. Go to Barry's website and he has alot of info there. I am thinking about getting them also.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=132&Page=3

I researched it a few months ago and I think they sell around 1900 complete.

Oh, I didn't see you wanted for BB. Pace has them for SB. Go to Grant's site he has listed venders for them.

THe barry grant unit is nice, but even it's expensive. I contacted edelbrock to see if they make a BBC 3x2 and they say not becasue they see no demand for it. Yet they make one for a SBC. Bummer
Barry grant won't sell just the intake, I tried to go that route.

It would be ideal for someone to make a 3x2 inatke for BBC and sell it for $300, a 2 barrel carb from holley costs $250, surely they could build a tri power 2 barrel at the same cost. Since the tri power 2 barrels are $1000 (crazyniss) plus linkage and cleaner maybe $300. Total package deal $1350 One can only dream i guess

THe barry grant unit is nice, but even it's expensive. I contacted edelbrock to see if they make a BBC 3x2 and they say not becasue they see no demand for it. Yet they make one for a SBC. Bummer
Barry grant won't sell just the intake, I tried to go that route.

It would be ideal for someone to make a 3x2 inatke for BBC and sell it for $300, a 2 barrel carb from holley costs $250, surely they could build a tri power 2 barrel at the same cost. Since the tri power 2 barrels are $1000 (crazyniss) plus linkage and cleaner maybe $300. Total package deal $1350 One can only dream i guess
you can thank NCRS for these crazy prices

You get what you pay for. The NCRS doesn't have anything to do it. Factory tri-power set ups were always something on the rare side. It's a matter of supply and demand.

:)

Hi

If you have time, you find a original for decent money.

It took me 4 years to find the square port setup , complete .
Actually found it in the shelf of a Vette used parts seller over here in Europe. Years ago, they swapped it against a 4 barrel setup for a customer, who could never get it to run correctly.

Problem was that the secondary carbs where wronlgy connected. They opened far too early because the small vent holes from the actuating diapragmes to the carb intakes where blocked, probably by a previous owner to make them run similar to mechanical linkage driven once, may be for 1/4 mile races or so.

The price I payed was 1/2 of what it was worse in worst case.

Keep your eyes open and also consider a cracked or repaired intake.

It is a amazing setup, very fuel efficient with the 350 CFM primary carb and full open with the other 2 adding to it at around 4000 RPM depending on work load of the engine.

Günther

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom