Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Triple Air Intake

F

Fugitive

Anybody familair with Mid America (duh!) they sell an underhood cold air induction package that has three cylindrical K&N airl filters. They claim 20 horse power increase, anyone tried this or know about it? I don't know how it would fit unless theres no air filter houseing? NOt sure if thats legel for smog? How's it compare to the Vortex Ram Air System?

You are better of saving your money and buying an open air filter lid and K&N filter. That setup will out-flow just about any engine you can fit in your car, and costs far less. You can actually cut the top of your lid off if you want too (that is what i did), which makes the lid free so all you have to purchase is the filter to fit. A K&N costs roughly $60 to fit in the stock housing.

However, if you want more information on the triple intake (known as the 'claw') check out SLP online at www.slponline.com .
they are the ones that make the claw, so they should have more information, and possibly cheaper prices on it.

Bobby my boy........my feelings exactly......works, too!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :bar

I have it. I saw maybe .05 s better time in the 1/4 mi time with
the claw. I haven't been smog tested since i put it on there,
I doubt it's an issue.

Vettelt193 is probably right, the claw may well be no better
than the open lid with the K/N. I chose the claw because
I wanted to guarentee the max possible gain from the mod.

Thanks fellas South Paw! I got a K&N filter haven't yet bought the open air lid. Just curious South paw do they give you a new air box to fit the tripple cones in? Or do they fit in the stock air box? Scott

the airbox is replaced from the end of the rubber tube forward. that whole plastic part is taken out that the airfilter sits in. SLP gives you everything you need

Right,
Everything forward of the ducting (rubber coupler attaches
to the throttle body) is new from SLP. No big plastic box.
Black powder coated piece holds the filters, which are naked
on top of the air shroud (ie, filters have nothing between themselves and the engine compartment).

Get yourself the cut lid and or use a dremel and cut yours.

I have a 96 collectors edition LT1
I had a K&N filter first and that did make a big difference over the stock filter.
But I bought the K&N triple air filter "claw" and I love it.
not only does it look neat when you open the hood. but I felt the difference when I'm taking off from a stop light. feels like more torque and it seems to be breathing easier at higher speeds (70 plus). haven't been on a track or any scientic measuring to prove it, but I've driven my baby long enough to feel the differnces.

My seat of pants sensitivity is poor. Even with my heads/cam package, all I can tell you is it is still pulling at over 6000 rpm.

I went from the stock setup to the "claw" triple K&N setup from SLP and noticed an immediate seat of the pants improvement. And it looks great under the hood!!!!!:Steer

Word! I noticed the same thing! I noticed watching the movie fast and the furious they all had elaborate cold air systems so I was like whoa! At the very least it will look nice as hell! Just like mad 47 I noticed an immediate improvement. I love it worth the purchase! Scott

I bought the 'claw' for 2 reasons, 1) It seals the intake air better than the mickey mouse plastic original filter box.2) The initial demand of intake air when one floors the accelerator at higher RPM's may benefit from the 3 filter setup.

It is expensive but I have better piece of mind in knowing my air is 100% filtered. YMMV.

K&N + open lid

Neither the OEM lid or the used (someone else cut the lid open) open lid that I bought, fit the OEM airbox well. That was because the airbox was warped from years of filters being clamped to tight and heat. I used a heat gun and some welders gloves to carefully unwarp the airbox. That worked great. Now everything fits and seals well. And after some tune-up work on the crudely opened lid, it looks great.

Open air lid

Is it similar tot he SLP intake? I have that three-fingered (Claw) intake and I like it.

Don't know if it helped but it looks good... :D

I have it and I cut the shroud and made some tweaks. See this thread if you're interested.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23171&highlight=triple+threat

It's been well over a year now and I have never had any negative effects from doing this. I recently put the factory breather and plain filter back on for autox in stock class. I can feel the difference on acceleration. For just everday driving the stock unit is fine. I may actually get to dyno the difference soon as some friends are getting together to do one at a group rate.

Graham

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom