Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tripower carbs

I'll post pictures of my carbs in the white tomorrow but here's what I've done. I did one carb first and then did the same procedures on the two remaining carbs. I bead blasted the carbs, washed them in hot soapy water and dried them in an oven. Waited till they cooled and then sanded the mating surfaces until they were flat (using a straight edge) and then ensured all the mating surfaces were flat and even (no light escaping from the carb bores when viewed from the side).

I then used an 18" mill bastard file to flatten the top of the intake manifold. It needed it becaue one of the pillars that holds the center carb was a little high. Everything sits nice and flat now.

I bought the carbs and manifold at Carlisle so I'm not sure it's a matched set. The manifild is dated 12/67 so it's a '68. I'll post the carb numbers to see what you guys think. The one problem I had in matching surfaces was with the center carb where the are two triangular studs at the back of the base plate. They were a bit high, causing the back of the carb to sit high on the base plate. I split the difference and filed the studs a bit and sanded down the back of the carb and now the carb sits perfectly flat on the base plate. Any ideas about that? God knows if the base plates really belong to the carbs, etc.

So far, so good. I'll see what the powder coating looks like when I'm done.

BTW, I need a set of butterflies for the rear carb because it looks like somebody in the past dropped something down there and it nicked the edge. Can't really tell that until you take the butterflies out since they are beveled. Any one know of a source of the butterflies?

POST edit...Holley offers the butterflies, I just need to do some measuring. It's only money. :m

OK, here's the carbs in the white and the numbers are:

3902363EU List 3659 792
3940929EV List 4055-1 842
3902353EU List 3659 703

Can anybody decode these numbers?

Thanks

OK, here's the carbs in the white and the numbers are:

3902363EU List 3659 792
3940929EV List 4055-1 842
3902353EU List 3659 703

Can anybody decode these numbers?

Thanks

3659 = list number
792 = 1967, 9th month, 2nd week (same pattern for other carbs, 0 = October)
3902363EU = part number

I suspect your front carb is actually a 3902353? They seem to be a mix of 68 & 69 carbs.

3659 = list number
792 = 1967, 9th month, 2nd week (same pattern for other carbs, 0 = October)
3902363EU = part number

I suspect your front carb is actually a 3902353? They seem to be a mix of 68 & 69 carbs.

By the way, the set up looks sweet so for. Good work . . .

Thanks for the help and the compliment.

THE #s DON'T MATCH???????????????????

Oh God, there goes my TopFlight. I was SURE that I had the ONLY Pilot Line '66 car with tripower.

Woe is me

Woe is me

Thanks for the help and the compliment.

THE #s DON'T MATCH???????????????????

Oh God, there goes my TopFlight. I was SURE that I had the ONLY Pilot Line '66 car with tripower.

Woe is me

Woe is me

OK.... Cool... Bonfire Time At The OC Mansion..Ya.Hoo....!!!

I'm on that big river in Africa....denial.

Here we go....Not Correctly Restored Corvette

so, a little bit of a '66, a little bit of '67, a little bit of a '68....gotta be worth a trophy SOMEWHERE

That would be...

Not Correctly Restored Stingray....:D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

OK, I never correct you because you've forgotten more Corvette stuff than I'll ever know BUT....I drive Sting Ray(s), not Stingray(s) :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

OK, I never correct you because you've forgotten more Corvette stuff than I'll ever know BUT....I drive Sting Ray(s), not Stingray(s) :D

Nah.... Your the Corvette God in Atlantic County....:BOW

All three are '68 carbs - made in late '67 (September and October) and early '68 (April). :)

Dude...what's that your milling..?? Looks like a Bush Weed holder...:D

Looks to me like the ole high school shop brass hammer project on a brigeport ;)

Thanks guys. Chicago Corvette has the throttle plates and I have their C3 book so here we go....$KA-CHING

I do pretty well, actually, I tell 'em to put it on VNV's tab. He'll never notice:rotfl

I do pretty well, actually, I tell 'em to put it on VNV's tab. He'll never notice:rotfl

Heh I don't mind... Last winter I got $1200.00 for those two Yuca Plants in front of the OC Mansion of yours. Pedro says they look real nice next to his Mobil Home. He's the talk of the Mobil Home Park.:D

;LOL

Give Pedro my WARMEST regards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To continue this thread, I cancelled my order for the throttle plates and called Holley who sold them directly to me. Ask for Mike in Technical Support. REAL decent guy.

To continue this thread, I cancelled my order for the throttle plates and called Holley who sold them directly to me. Ask for Mike in Technical Support. REAL decent guy.

Mike is a good guy. Thanks.

Ah...the parts collection saga continues.

So, I cancelled the throttle plate order from Chicago Corvette (long story, couldn't get a ship date on the center carb plates) and begged a set from Holley. Whew! Still counting my lucky stars on that one BUT I forgot to ask him to add the secondary carb vacuum diaphragms :hb . Chicago Corvette said they've been backordered since God made dirt. Schucks.

Ordered them from LICS yesterday. Hope they show up before I go to OCNJ since I may powder coat the carbs over the Thanksgiving Holiday to take my mind off of Project BLOW.

I'll post the carbs after I'm done and get your opinions, win lose or draw. I certainly have enough material for the powdercoating...1.5L of Bombay Sapphire gin and 750ml of Tanqueray "10".

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Ah...the parts collection saga continues.

So, I cancelled the throttle plate order from Chicago Corvette (long story, couldn't get a ship date on the center carb plates) and begged a set from Holley. Whew! Still counting my lucky stars on that one BUT I forgot to ask him to add the secondary carb vacuum diaphragms :hb . Chicago Corvette said they've been backordered since God made dirt. Schucks.

Ordered them from LICS yesterday. Hope they show up before I go to OCNJ since I may powder coat the carbs over the Thanksgiving Holiday to take my mind off of Project BLOW.

I'll post the carbs after I'm done and get your opinions, win lose or draw. I certainly have enough material for the powdercoating...1.5L of Bombay Sapphire gin and 750ml of Tanqueray "10".

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Well I don't want to rub salt into a open wound B-U-T when I made the move to TRIPLE CARB's I stocked up on an extra set of the Diaphrams. In point of fact I think I bought 2 sets as well as a rebuilding set for each carb. These smaller "forgotten" parts are the ones that can stop a project dead in the water and they are not gonna get easier to find as time goes on.

Scary to think that a 67 3x2 is now knockin on the door to being 40 years old...scarier to think that I got outta High School in 67!!!!!!!!!Too much of the repop stuff is J-U-N-K and somethings like the dia's are not even being repoped.

Now about the oval port 67 3x2 that sits in my basement appreciating. I have this idea......3x2 454 with "roval" Eheads in my Vette. All I need is heads, carbs fuel lines and oh yeah I need the 454, forgot that little detail or possibly a 5____OH______2

Salt rubbing aside I think I got mine from ZIP you might try there if you want to add a spare set to the shelf stock!. One thing I am learning as these cars get older is this. Once ya buy into something that is big bucks like the 3x2 look for what kinds of things are not in good suppply now, consider that supply will only get worse and act accordingly. If I decide on a 3x2 for the 454/ 502 in the Vette I will look of things like a 3x2 base at a swap meet or asingle lonely 3x2 carb. You have better barganing position when ya say ..."Damn I need 3 carbs or a complete air cleaner assy ..don't want to buy 1/2 or 1/3 of what need" Sometimes the seller says "Ok OK give me $nn.nn for the carb or the air cleaner base".

Have a good Turkey Day!!!!!!

Thanks Numegger, back 'atcha.

The diaphragms did come in from LICS and you're absolutely right about stocking up on the parts. I kick myself for not buying EVERY oval tripower manifold I walked by at Carlisle. I could be Livin' Large right now.

Spent Thanksgiving morning tapping/plugging up all the holes in the manifold and carbs in preparation for the powder coating. Sinatra is on the radio for 16 hours today and I've just mixed my first Lemon Drop of the day.

Life is good.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom