Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tripower carbs

Thanks Numegger, back 'atcha.

The diaphragms did come in from LICS and you're absolutely right about stocking up on the parts. I kick myself for not buying EVERY oval tripower manifold I walked by at Carlisle. I could be Livin' Large right now.

Spent Thanksgiving morning tapping/plugging up all the holes in the manifold and carbs in preparation for the powder coating. Sinatra is on the radio for 16 hours today and I've just mixed my first Lemon Drop of the day.

Life is good.

:w

Don't forget to email me the pic's from last week. I'm leaving here at 2:30Pm to head out to a Turkey Party..

:beer

Thanks Numegger, back 'atcha.

The diaphragms did come in from LICS and you're absolutely right about stocking up on the parts. I kick myself for not buying EVERY oval tripower manifold I walked by at Carlisle. I could be Livin' Large right now.

Spent Thanksgiving morning tapping/plugging up all the holes in the manifold and carbs in preparation for the powder coating. Sinatra is on the radio for 16 hours today and I've just mixed my first Lemon Drop of the day.

Life is good.

:w

Life is indeed good. spent the day at my friends house drinking and eathin. Buddies oldest daughter is 35 and looking sooooooo good in a snug pair of Levi's. She actually had her topside made smaller cause she tought she was toooo big up top. If she was only older or if I did not know her Daddy. Red hair. big (still) topside, blue eyes . then there are those Levi's...camel toe and and all ...ah well!!!!

:drool: oh well, watcha' gonna do...uh, DON'T answer that here.....

VNV...yup, haven't forgotten....although we're here in wringing wet OCNJ and I have my camera here, it's a freakin' SONY which uses a proprietary cable interface, which of course IS IN HOPEWELL :hb

...you should see the garage in OCNJ, can barely move around (i took some pictures) because I carried boxes of stuff from Hopewell JUST in case i need it down here....although i did forget the CAMERA CABLE !!!!!!!

...as noted earlier, the carbs/manifold are ready to powder coat...once i get Mrs. Kid's rice burner out of the garage, i may give it a try....but i also have to cut the '67 bb hood to clear the blower elbow...i have yet to order the BIG coil for Project BLOW, waiting for a critical mass

:drool: oh well, watcha' gonna do...uh, DON'T answer that here.....

VNV...yup, haven't forgotten....although we're here in wringing wet OCNJ and I have my camera here, it's a freakin' SONY which uses a proprietary cable interface, which of course IS IN HOPEWELL :hb

...you should see the garage in OCNJ, can barely move around (i took some pictures) because I carried boxes of stuff from Hopewell JUST in case i need it down here....although i did forget the CAMERA CABLE !!!!!!!

Take out the memory card and find a printer, most new printers will accept these chips and you can download the pictures that way.

Tyler

Well, powder coated the carbs according to the instructions from Eastwood.

Hmmmm.

Need to work on this, they turned out a LITTLE green. They recommend a 50/50 mix of green and a coppery-gold. Need to overcoat with the gold. 'Course, I could do them nassau blue. Well, it's a LONG winter.

Well, here's the update. The carbs came out OK, I had to overcoat them with more gold. They don't look like they came from Holley's carb shop but I'm happy with the final results. I also took the time to re-do the manifold and clear coat it. Much better.

What I did notice was that some of the carb pieces warped again after being subjected to the powder coating heating/cooling cycle of 425*/RT. Not surprising but what was surprising was the piece-to-piece variation. For example, two of the carb bases just needed a quick pass with a mill bastard. The third was 'way out. Both secondary throttle vacuum housing bottoms needed to be ground flat - they now hold a perfect vacuum. That was tedious. The manifold again just needed a slight refinish.

Now that I have the carbs totally apart, I noticed how bad my original throttle plates were. They obviously leaked badly. Per instructions, the numbers on the throttle plates should be face down and point to the center of the carb (away from the float bowl on the 2300's) so that the milled surface of the plates precisely matches the throttle plate bore.

And, I stripped my fab'd tripower filter cover with the 9" K&N in the center. I'll powder coat that one all sparkly so that I can dazzle VNV when I drive the coupe 'downa shore.

Pictures in a few weeks.

I'll powder coat that one all sparkly so that I can dazzle VNV when I drive the coupe 'downa shore.
When I break down at VNV's down at the shore...;LOL

When I break down at VNV's down at the shore...;LOL

Now, now. Only the roadster breaks down at your place. The only thing I remember with the coupe was that she pee'd coolant all over your driveway. You know, you CAN get incontinent when you get over 40.:drink

Now, now. Only the roadster breaks down at your place. The only thing I remember with the coupe was that she pee'd coolant all over your driveway. You know, you CAN get incontinent when you get over 40.:drink

That's true... You can get incontinent over 40.....just pack the radiator area with 4 or 5 "Depends" .. You should make it to OC with no trouble..:D

That's true... You can get incontinent over 40.....just pack the radiator area with 4 or 5 "Depends" .. You should make it to OC with no trouble..:D

no problem, one or two for me and the rest for the car

Well,

I didn't get those pictures out in a few weeks because Project BLOW took up a LOT of time, the idiots at Comcast can't figure out how to get internet service to me for the time being AND I had a problem with the last carb

The center and one end carb went together smooth as a baby's ass. Just about everything new, including the butterflies. The second end carb all of a sudden developed a bind when I turned the throttle shaft :eyerole (even if the base plate wasn't secured to the carb body). Damn.

So, best as I could see, the throttle shaft was binding at the center of the base plate, where the shaft pokes through the plate. There is no bushing there, only the ends of the shaft are bushed. I rebushed them a while ago and that was done of a lathe and there ARE perfectly concentric. I figured that somehow, truing the base plate somehow caused the bind to show up....whatever.

So, being the knucklehead that I am, I disassembled everything and was GENTLY bending the throttle shaft in the center and the damn thing just folded up on itself :W . I should have realized that the shaft, for most of its run, is two thin halves of a soft brass rod....DAMN!!!!;help

So, a long story gets even longer. I figured no problem, I bite the bullet and order a new throttle shaft from Chicago Corvette. They never ship the product, nothing but excuses. OK, last resort, I go to Holley direct and plead my case. They have SOLD the tooling for the old carbs to an outfit in North Carolina so they can't help me. When I call that crew, they would only sell me the complete carb!!! :Buttslap

FUHGEDDABOUTIT!!!!!

So, last night, I spend an hour truing that shaft on a piece of glass. Once I got it as close as possible, I then filed away a small amount of the shaft where it interfered with the center of the carb base (remember, no bushing there, it's all clearance any way).

Now it works perfectly.

Whew!!!:eek:hnoes

IF I have problems with these carbs again, I am taking them off, wrapping them in newspaper and putting them up in the attic where they will accrue in value. I then buy 3 new Holley 2300's, mill the big round air cleaner bases off and run these manual secondaries with a progressive linkage of my own design. I have a closeup of the BG linkage and I think it's pretty primitive, I can do better.

OR, I buy a Vortech hairdryer just like I did for the sb. Hmmmm.

I'm getting too old for this stuff:boogie

Corvetting is such a relaxing hobby. :D

For a Few Of Us

Corvetting is such a relaxing hobby. :D

Yes, because some of us never have to work on these suckers. :D New record temperature at 81 yesterday and it prompted me to pull the cover off and crank the Duece up. A shot of either and it was immediately running by reaching through the window and turning the key. 76 today and the Harley is now cleaned up and running too. Put them both back in, couldn`t decide what to use. :upthumbs

...i wonder if they'll get to the point of auctioning off old corvette mechanics at B-J?

i'm old

i have a corvette

mechanics can go to walmart and buy the same work clothes that i did

ergo, i have a SUBSTANTIAL reserve:rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom