Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trouble registering '70 in CA

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
Hello, I went to the DMV today for them to inspect the car for my registration. The guy who inspected it was looking for a vin tag somewhere inside the door jambs, under the hood, and all around the car and could not find it. The regular vin beneath the windshield was located and no problem there. He then said I would have to take the car to the CHP and then back to them. Does this sound right? It doesn't to me.

I registered my 70' three weeks ago from out of state and all went well at AAA, although the girl did look for the sticker on the drivers door . There is an outfit that makes the stickers....Ebay or Hemmings I forget. You may need to go to the CHP, I have needed to do it myself. I think the best way is to pay one of the registration business types the $60 and they will take care of business. These companines are on the up and up and are linked to the DMV. If you want to talk further then send me a message and I will call you. Mike in San Diego.

You California dudes will have to help me out here, but are you saying the DMV folks are looking for an emissions certification label on the door?

Can't figure why the DMW dude couldn't find a VIN tag on the windshield post (?!), but stranger things have happened.
:)

I have heard of this before. Perhaps in CAC?

The reason is that when suspect, the CHP would check the vehicle and issue some sort of paperwork that says that the vehicle is not stolen (like a background check). This is so specially when registering a vehicle from another state.

GerryLP:cool

You California dudes will have to help me out here, but are you saying the DMV folks are looking for an emissions certification label on the door?

Can't figure why the DMW dude couldn't find a VIN tag on the windshield post (?!), but stranger things have happened.
:)

The guy wrote a note on the remarks: missing emmission label
The windshield vin is fine and was recorded as okay on the paperwork. Now, what else is he looking for I have no idea. Supposedly there was a sticker on the driver door for the C3's, that is long gone. Guess I will call the CHP and see what they say. Thanks for the replies. Will inform you of what happens with this.

If your only missing the emissions label most parts dealers have repos. If your missing the emissions equipment too, prepare to have fun and spend $$$.

The CA DMV guy that told you that was correct. I just went through the same thing. Goto http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13.htm and look up the number in your local area to schedule an appt. BTW, if you are in the military, the security forces on a military installation can do this as well. Hope this helps...

in florida, if you are registering an out of state car for the first time in the state, you need to have the VIN authenticated by a police officer, or get this, a notary, lol. the police officer will run the vin through the "hot" list to attemtp to insure it isn't stolen, but the notary?????

oh, well, what do you expect from a state that get voting right, LMAO!! it's a pain in the ass, but just about everyone knows a notary, right??

steve

I called to set up an appointment today with the CHP. I spoke with the inspector, he said as long as I have paid the fees, have the paperwork from where I bought it (it is a clear WV title), and the vin on the windshield is there and matches, there shouldn't be a problem. He said most of the problems arise from people bringing out of state vehicles without the correct paperwork. Since vehicles 1975 and prior are exempt from the annual smog inspection in CA, I do not believe this will be a factor when regisitering the car. He said the emission label was missing, did these cars even come with an emission label? I doubt it.

Hey guys, just a follow up on this. I went to the CHP (highway patrol) this morning. The officer looked at the car and found no problems with it. He did find an error on the paperwork made by the DMV, the vin was typed incorrectly, leading to some confusion. So he filled out a form which declared the error. The officer told me there were no emission labels for 1970 (the dmv guy put a comment on the inspection report that the emission label was missing), and that the vehicle is exempt from any emissions here in this state.

This is per a law passed last year: Any vehicle, out of state or not, 1975 and prior year, is exempt from emissions certification when registering the vehicle in the state of CA.

Anyway, the vehicle is now registered and I have my new plates. :)
Now I can do whatever I want with it.

Wow!!! I'm glad I live in redneck country(GA)They don't care as long as you have insurance.No checks here whatsoever.I removed my cats and put on a dual exhaust,Midas did the work!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom