Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Troubleshooting possible fuel pump failure

nashville68bird

Corvette
1982 Collector
Folks,

Driving down the road last week, heard something like a click or clack (felt like it was from behind me) and the Vette petered out on me along the road-side. Acted as if I had run out of gas but tank is full. Engine turns over like normal crank but doesn't start up. Again, as if out of fuel. Is there an easy way to confirm its the fuel pump, which I believe is on the gas tank on this 1983 C3 Collector model?

Do you have an '82?? Collector,
You may want to check out the crossfire section that deals with those specifically...You should find the answer your looking for...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Definitely heard the pump actuate for two seconds after turning the ignition key, so maybe that is not the problem. Will test relay next.

Maybe the fuel filter. When you have the filter out of the line look if fuel is comming out if you turn the ignition key. And put something under the fuel line so fuel isn't all over the floor. :)

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Definitely heard a click metallic sound before she died. Don't think its filter-related.

OK, definitely confirmed plenty of fuel getting to the injectors. Replaced all fuses, now I guess next step is to pull a spark plug, ground the body of it and see if there is strong spark while cranking. If there IS positive spark, that means something else is telling the engine not to kick in. Any ideas?

As the ECM controls the spark lets start with that. As you have fuel and i think enough air the only thing you're missing is a timed spark.

Greetings Peter

Peter,

I agree, and am now researching pros and cons of installing the '82 ECM 1225550 or the '84 Corvette ECM 1226430. Folks here such as Kane suggest its a no-brainer to install the '84 ECM instead of finding a new '82 ECM. Thoughts?

Sorry no thoughts. Ones I was busy trying to fit a 86 caprice ECM into my 81 corvette (same carb) with a zz4 prom but it still it in a corner somewhere. If it's a simple swap you can always try. But before swapping out the ECM first take a look at the coil and other things. I think it's much more likely that one of those failed then the ECM.

Greetings Peter

Ran the ECM Test last night to see what faults might be saved in the computer......power-up went fine, got the three initial flash codes as described, then the same initial flashes continued endlessly. No fault codes stored in the computer.

alvey-82-ECM-1.jpg

Here is the ECM. The original owner replaced the "Chip" with an aftermarket Power Tuning Chip from Hypertech (Part #11722). I have the original chip and will install it tonight and see if that makes any difference. No obvious damage or burns on the ECM assembly.

Give it a try. You have to start somewhere :)

Greetings Peter

Re-installed the ECM with the original chip last night.....Check Engine Light went out. Grounded the connector plug for ECM diagnostics and there were no stored codes. Still turns over strong but won't run. Will re-confirm no spark to the plugs tonight and go from there.

Forget the ecm for now. It only controls timing advance.
You need to work out why you are getting no spark.
Could be a coil, the ignition module or something else with the distributor.

The distributor assembly is an after-market model. vett2.jpg

Confirmed with timing light yesterday that no spark is coming out of the distributor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom