Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trying to figure out what I have

gpb

Corvette
1969 convertible
I have a '69 with what I believe is a 427/390 4-speed. I do not believe the motor is the original but I'm having trouble putting the codes together. The following is what I know:

Engine casting # 3963512 date is J 23 8. Cannot make out pad #'s
My research shows this to be a late 69 427, or 70 454 but made in Oct. 68

VIN is 194679S708616 which means to me as an early 69

Intake manifold is cast 3955287 with a date of G 25 9
My research says this belongs to a 70 454/390HP

The exhaust manifolds are correct for 69

Carburetor is a quadra-jet with the number 7044230 and date 0584
My research says this is for a 74 Cadillac with auto trans.

Transmission has a casting of 385323 and the bell has 3899621 and the tail has a 3846429
I can find no info on the transmission codes

There is a D22 code on the upper right corner of the trim tag located in the door jam if that means anything.

It seems to me that I have a bastardized engine but would like to know if anyone could shed some light on what I have and if the parts I have are compatible. Or should I change the intake and carb? Also any help on the transmission numbers would help(is it a m20,21,22 or something else). Is the vin stamped on the trans and where is it located?

I know this is long but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
gb

I'm going to try to do this from memory since all of my reference books are in storage(still tring to sell the house;shrug)On the passenger side of your Muncie should be the vin number to the car it was installed in.Near that number is another number that has a A , B , or C in it.

A=M20
B=M21
C=M22

...Engine casting # 3963512 date is J 23 8.... D22 code on the upper right corner of the trim tag...

J 23 8 casting date is probably Wednesday, October 23, 1968.

Time/build date of D22 indicates Friday, November 22, 1968 and jives with your VIN.

It's possible this engine could be your original. Have you cleaned the pad and taken another look?

:)

Thanks Sharkcar and Mike for your replies. I will look again at the tranny to see if I find those numbers you spoke of. Mike, I took a brass brush to the pad and can make out a T and some numbers that follow but can't be for sure what they are(3's 8's and 9's look the same) maybe I will try to get some kind of magnifier and see if I can do better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the intake and carb setup? Should I look for an original aluminum intake and Q-jet carb and would that make it perform better. If what I have now performs as good as the originals then I'll keep what I have.
thanks again,

gb

The T is for the Tonawanda (NY) engine assembly plant. All Corvette big blocks were assembled at Tonawanda. Should also be the engine identification stamp with the T and a VIN sequence stamp on the pad.

Might way to try putting a piece of paper on the pad and rubbing it with a pencil. Here's what you're looking for.

EnginePadBigBlock.jpg

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom