Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trying to remove long blemish on ZR-1 hood

fhturner

Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
Hey Everybody--

Tonight I set about trying to remove this blemish from the hood of my 19-day-old (for me!) :D ZR-1. It looks like something got spilled on the hood or dripped from above and then ran down to the edge where the nose piece joins the front of the hood. I'm thinking this probably happened to the car at some point in the past, then got waxed over without being properly removed.

So, tonight I try ScratchX from Meguiar's (non-abrasive surface cleaner), and make a bit of progress, but notice that it is very hard to wipe away all of the ScratchX and its "cloudiness" after application. This is especially true around the edges of where I've applied the ScratchX. Is this because of previous wax buildup? The car only has 15,400 miles on it, and had only been driven a couple hundred miles since a year ago. Not to mention it also sat under a cover in a parking garage. My guess is that I just need to strip the wax, clean this blemish, then reapply wax once I get the surface of the paint good and clean.

Does this sound like a good approach, and does it sound like the ScratchX difficulty is because of excessive wax buildup? I figured I'd try the 3M GP Adhesive Cleaner that everyone talks about. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred

Fred, yes use 3M adhesive&tar remover. It will clean off the wax build up. Then clay the spot, wouldn't hurt to clay the whole car. Then follow up with a good polish. Meguiars makes a good one. Best to apply a polish with an orbital polisher, but can be done by hand also. Always start with a non-abrasive then work your way up only as far as needed. Then wax with your favorite wax. This should solve your problem. Good luck.

2k2Z06 said:
Fred, yes use 3M adhesive&tar remover. It will clean off the wax build up. Then clay the spot, wouldn't hurt to clay the whole car.

Thanks for the tips! So, just to be clear, does it sound to you like the trouble I'm having wiping the ScratchX off is indeed due to excess wax buildup?

As for claying, can I ScratchX the whole car as an alternate approach? I believe it is similar in function to a clay bar, but is a thick liquid applied with a sponge applicator pad. It's worked pretty well for me in the past, but I'll try something else if need be.

I would clay the car. It's not that hard to do, and it will take all the imbedded items out of the paint. It will also smooth the paint wich in turn will give a much better shine when polished and waxed. I've used both Clay Magic and Meguiars with equally good results. They both come with a clay lube. And believe me claying the car is easier than doing the whole car with scratchX.

2k2Z06 said:
I would clay the car...And believe me claying the car is easier than doing the whole car with scratchX.

Sounds good-- I will plan on claying it as soon as I get the chance. Thanks! Sorry to repeat, but I'd just like to know if my guess is correct:

Does it sound to you like the trouble I'm having wiping the ScratchX off is indeed due to excess wax buildup?

Thanks,
Fred

to answer your question, not necessarily.

if you are worried about wax buildup... wash the area with soap and water (use regular dish detergent) don't do the whole car, it is probably not necessary, and not that good for it either.... if it has wax buildup, the dish detergent will take it off.

Looking for the 3M cleaner. I see on their site 2 seemingly separate products:

3M Adhesive, Tax & Wax Remover
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner

Seems that what I've read about has been the Cleaner. Do I want that or the Remover? Or does it matter?

Where is the best place to get these?

Thanks,
Fred

THe 3M adhesive,tar & wax remover is what you want. If you have a Murrys auto parts near you, I've found that they have the best selection of cleaners and waxes of any. That's where I got my cleaner at.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom