Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turbo Options/Evergreen Turbo

• Thread starter Thread starter SurfnSun
  • Start date Start date
SurfnSun said:
Ive talked to him a few times, last week as a matter of fact. He hasn't done any work for me yet. I called about some springs, but he doesn't stock parts for the deltagates. He uses Tials.

Josh, I feel rather bad that we (Callaway4Fun & I) had lined up a set for rebuilding, then the deal fell through :(

On the telephone, Charlie seemed skilled and sincere in his efforts w/ turbos and said he had worked on both series of Callaway Turbos (IHI's and T04b's)

Keep us informed :beer

Basically, to sum things up on the turbo re-build issue... any serious turbo shop will rebuild these turbos.

Here's one shop in the backyard of Callaway that I've talked with in the past on another twin turbo project http://www.mjmturbos.com/

Check out their site. They even did Alfa Romeo turbos back in the day.. hint hint..

They are not knowledgeable about the "Callaway Twin Turbo" Corvette era but if you schlap down a Rotomaster or other in front of them-- they'll get right to work.

If you have a turbo that sounds like a dentist drill in your mouth on decel-- you got problems. Until then Happy Turbo Motoring! :beer

p.s. Please don't call or flood these people with emails or phone calls. If you have a need to purchase something-- you'll be well taken care of.

Rotomaster Alternatives

The issue never was that a good turbo shop could not rebuild the Callaway Rotomasters to correct normal wear -- the issue was, and remains, what to do with an unrepairable Rotomaster housing. This could happen as a result of an accident, severe road debris, cracked housing, or possibly a turbine wheel disintegrating badly and taking the housing with it.

So far, RKReigh's suggestion to try the Indy/Race Car world for cast iron welding expertise seems to be a possible way out of the dilemma. I would prefer some sources for "still in production" alternative turbo housings. Josh's source in Ocala was willing to try and chase down some alternatives, but he needed to get his hands on some original Callaway Rotomaster units.

I would also think there have been some advances in turbo technologies over the last 15-17 years that might be pretty useful on the Callaways.

fyi,

Indy Cyl Head will "hot weld" cast iron. it's not cheap. they bring the part up to temp in a furnace that allows welding inside. hot rod rodding did an article on these guys repairing a slammed combustion chamber on some rare hemi heads that looked beyond hope.

what is really need is some used turbos as all have mentioned. Precision Turbo, Turbonetics, Majestic, Innovate Turbo and a few others could likely fab up a "bolt in compatible" turbo solution cheaper than repairing.

nothing magic in these turbos IMHO. just need something that will flow, spool, and with similar physical dimensions that will bolt up. looks like some welding will be needed on the turbine side to get the plumbing correct. it's alum so that should be cheap, they do it all the time.

man, I change turbos like my mind on the turbo buick. been through 4 so far.

My bet is that if you guys can score some roached turbos, help is available.

as soon as someone experiences a failure, unbolt that rascal and give Harry @ precision turbo a call

http://www.precisionturbo.net/index.php

rkreigh said:
man, I change turbos like my mind on the turbo buick. been through 4 so far.

My bet is that if you guys can score some roached turbos, help is available.
Ron, I had 3 turbos on my GN in 79k mi - about every 25k, they would go, replaced the line for oil on the last one (I bought the car at 64k mi & it had already had 2 turbos, per the paperwork).

Callaway4Fun had a line on a set of Turbo's to have rebuilt but the deal fell through :(
Pete, maybe you will find a set in a shoebox somewhere, on a shelf - I know you keep looking ;)

Ron, you are the boost maniac, if Surf sells his car, that thing is ALL YOU :m

I had my turbos serviced there aswell. Charlie did a great job.

Sam, do you mind me asking - what did you have done & how much $$$ for the service??

Thanks in advance! C. :beer

Charlie found that one of the turbos had a slighlty bent impeller shaft, and corrected it. He rebuilt both of them, and did a slight mod on both for flow improvement. The total was around $800.00 for both.

Something I found, and recommend all do, is to remove the wastegate, inspect and clean. Both of my wastegates had collected lots of exhaust debris. To the best of my knowledge, this debris is entering the wastegate via the wastegate valve. During normal driving when the engine is in vacuum mode, this debris is sucked into the engine via the vacuum line. The debris, is metal dust, carbon and metal flakes from inside the exhaust manifolds.

Charlie found that one of the turbos had a slighlty bent impeller shaft, and corrected it. He rebuilt both of them, and did a slight mod on both for flow improvement. The total was around $800.00 for both.

Something I found, and recommend all do, is to remove the wastegate, inspect and clean. Both of my wastegates had collected lots of exhaust debris. To the best of my knowledge, this debris is entering the wastegate via the wastegate valve. During normal driving when the engine is in vacuum mode, this debris is sucked into the engine via the vacuum line. The debris, is metal dust, carbon and metal flakes from inside the exhaust manifolds.

Sam, that sounds like a VERY good price - esp. for all that was done! :cool

Did Charlie have a new shaft in stock?? I imagine so, right???

Also, did that include new turbo seals for oil control??

Thanks again! C. :beer

Sam, Im glad to hear it worked out well for you.

How funny that in Ocala, FL of all places we'd find a turbo guy with such knowledge and experience in rebuilding rotomaster turbos. Crazy.

I'm close to this guy

I live about 30 minutes away from this place, and have two original turbos off of 87TT #4. I know these first cars had a different block, but the turbos are IHI's. One of them started to whine when the car backfired with 3000 miles on the clock, so we replaced both for safety. As for the housing difference, they are the same, but the IHI's had a moveable compressor section that needed to be different for each side. Same turbo, just different alignment.

Did all 87's have IHI's, or just the early ones. Let me know if anybody needs these dropped off and rebuilt for their application.

Anthony

Check Out These Little Gems!!

****Message deleted - outside forum guidelines - had nothing to do with the topic at hand****

Greg:

You caused problems over at the CF, and you're treading on thin ice here as well.

How do You Deal With Comments That are Intended to Incite Flame Wars?

Greg:

You caused problems over at the CF, and you're treading on thin ice here as well.

***Deleted the post - irrelevant to the topic***

I do appreciate the moderators efforts to keep our posts on topic, namely Callaway specific discussions.

So to get back to the discussion, I often see a variety of Rotomasters selling on e-bay, none of these are of similar size and directional alignment which could be modified to fit these cars? Is it a matter of labor expense (which could be huge) to make the appropriate mods?

-Luigi
:cool

I do appreciate the moderators efforts to keep our posts on topic, namely Callaway specific discussions.

So to get back to the discussion, I often see a variety of Rotomasters selling on e-bay, none of these are of similar size and directional alignment which could be modified to fit these cars? Is it a matter of labor expense (which could be huge) to make the appropriate mods?

-Luigi
:cool

Luigi, good questions - Our turbos are the same, left & right, just clocked differently... And with unique flanges on each side ;)

Anyone else??

TTT ^^^ The info in this thread may be of interest to our newer folks - Enjoy! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom