Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turbo Options/Evergreen Turbo

• Thread starter Thread starter SurfnSun
  • Start date Start date
Turbo options

I agree. There is an answer out there that will not require serious mods to the car.

Viable Option!!!

I spoke w/ Charlie, this afternoon by telephone and he seems VERY knowlegable and was sure if he encountered something odd, he would check w/ his dad who between the 2 of them have close to 50 yrs in the business.
Here is the catch - it has been awhile since Charlie has rebuilt a Callaway Corvette unit and did not take notes for part content when doing the last one and needs to look one over for it's content. He says that ALL parts are common and should not have any problems rebuilding a unit and at a reasonable cost to boot!

If you have a Callaway turbo in need of rebulding, I implore you to check him out yourself and decide what your options are - as this service he is offering would benefit ALL Owners both current and future alike.

I will note - Charlie cautioned me on 2 things - First, ALWAYS ship insured and second, pack it well (not in styro. peanuts either as the unit will settle and possibly be damged in transit).

Thank you for taking the time to consider this. :beer Chris.

Turbos

I might be in orlando middle of april. I have never been to florida. If its not too far I will bring th turbo to this gentleman and see what he has to say. Any Florida people out there let me know how much of a drive this is. Thanks.

Ocala is about 1 hour and 20 mins from MCO. Let me know when you come to town.

Turbo's

Thanks for the info and yes, I am very concerned about mailing this turbo. I am sure the guys at Evergreen would take care it but its the long trip down that worries me. I will post the date I leave, when I get there and when I will go to Evergreen.

Turbo Trip Schedule

Callaway88,

Any progress or schedule to report on your Ocala trip to Evergreen Turbo? I think the shop is south of Ocala, so that will shorten your trip up from Orlando, too.

Can you take a few more pictures of your turbo assemblies and send them to me? Have you talked to any other turbo repair guys recently?

Good luck.

Steve

Re: Turbo's

Callaway88 said:
Thanks for the info and yes, I am very concerned about mailing this turbo. I am sure the guys at Evergreen would take care it but its the long trip down that worries me. I will post the date I leave, when I get there and when I will go to Evergreen.

Callaway88, Any updates?????? :beer

Turbos

I was supposed to leave on 4/17. That day the father of the manager of my friends auto repair shop died so he couldn't go. I was just hitching a ride with him and his family. We plan on going when his manager gets back sometime next week.

Re: Turbos

Callaway88 said:
I was supposed to leave on 4/17. That day the father of the manager of my friends auto repair shop died so he couldn't go. I was just hitching a ride with him and his family. We plan on going when his manager gets back sometime next week.

Sorry to hear that :(

I was certain the date you expected to go was near - take your time.

guys I would also recommend talking to Harry at Precision turbo.

if the housings are damaged they might be able to weld and repair the compressor housings (alum). there are also some advanced welders that can "hot weld" cast iron (Indy Cyl heads) they heat everything up in an oven and actually weld inside it!! used for fixing rare cast iron cyl heads (like hemis)

in addition, for the turbine and compresor wheels, they often can modify and remachine other T04 (which is like the small block chevy of turbos) to fit the callaway turbos.

I'd also be VERY tempted to look into more modern upgrade turbos as replacements that spool and flow a bit better. it clearly would involve some tuning and recalbration but the results would really be worth it!!!

although I'm a ZR1 guy, I also run around in a turbo buick as my daily driver and the turbo cars are a blast!!

hey chris, let's get together and kick around some options.

time to do some dyno runs!!!

cya.

Precision Turbo

Are you talking about the turbo guys located in Hebron, Indiana (219 996-7832)/www.precisionte.com ? Do you know if they have any familiarity with the Callaway setup? Have they repaired any seriously broken Callaway TTs?

There is another outfit in Texas that said they would not be afraid to tackle more complex repairs or retrofits too.

You might need a turbo Corvette to help counteract that GrandPa Buick image! Thanks for the tips.

Steve

yup, that's they. no, I have no idea if they have experience with the callaway turbos but if they can get their hands on one, I think they may be able to help. if they know the physical dimensions, bolt patterns, and flow rates, they may be able to fab something that would work.

they also do lots of turbo repair work. another outfit is Majestic turbo in Tx. Turbonetics and Rick Heads new turbo company (can't remember the name right now) Turbo engineering or something like that also may be able to help.

a good buddy of mine went through 3 pairs of turbos on the early callaway drag racing it before the oiling problem got fixed. callaway requested he NOT return, all were done under warrenty.

he definitely was HARD on the car and finally sold it.

he's now running around in a 555 ci all alum c4!!!

Re: Turbos

Callaway88 said:

Look me up when you get to Ocala, we can go have dinner or a drink if you've got time. :beer:

What ever happened with the Turbo? Any feedback from this place or should this thread be closed??????

-Luigi
:cool

I have gone ahead and "un-stuck" the thread, If anyone has info about turbo rebuilding, feel free to add or, create a new thread with the details.

Luigi, the spare pair of turbo's never worked out - they were (r) & (l) B2K units in need of rebuilding and would have been perfect fot this app. :(

Eric, What details do you have on a possible solution?

Josh (SurfnSun) Did you ever get down to this place?? :beer

Ive talked to him a few times, last week as a matter of fact. He hasn't done any work for me yet. I called about some springs, but he doesn't stock parts for the deltagates. He uses Tials.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom