Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turbo water lines

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
As part of my regular maintenance I always give the oil + water hoses a good look over, especially on a B2K where I'm always looking to make sure there are no lines chafing or too close to something hot - I already found a turbo outlet pipe (steel, passenger side) burned through on an exhausest manifold once.

My question concerns the 2 braided water lines that run under the car between the turbos. When I bought the car they were hanging low under the car - good job the previous owner never drove the car - imagine the consequences of snagging the lines on something on the road!:cry

Anyway at first I just used to push them up between the clutch housing and block (the gap above the oil drain plug) but as they sometimes slid down I used some steel brackets bolted into the clutch housing using the existing bolts.

It's bothering me that the brackets aint all that neat despite the fact no-one can see 'em! Just wondering what they're like on you guys' cars? Especially as no 2 of our cars seem to be exactly the same.

I couldn't find any sign of any bracket or fastener holding them in place originally though they were covered in some kind of cloth like material that was disintegrating, which I had to remove as it was looking so tatty.

BTW the lines look in real good condition on my car - I know at least one of you had one fail (racing another car?)

I think Turbo Luigi had replaced his himself and so has Magic Dragon - I am sure they will chime in and advise how the process was & how they looked :m

I tried to replace mine and was able to replace the feed lines but not the return lines. My car is about to go to Callaway for some tuning and one of the things I want them to do is the return lines.

No, there is no clip to hold them in place. On my car they sit as Malc described, between the clutch housing and block. I have thought of designing a mesh plate to protect the coolant lines and the oil sump from any road debris but I have yet to get enough time to do this.

BTW, my turbo coolant lines looked to be in great shape under the car, and the mesh was undamaged. However, in the engine bay where the feed line comes off the radiator elbow hose, it was brittle. I replaced it before it ever got to break and leak. I want to replace the return lines while I have some maintenance done just so I don't want to worry about in the future.

-Luigi
:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom