Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turn Signal & Flasher Problems?

Hustler

Corvette
2000 Z51
As many of you have or will have, I had been suffering with turn signal issues for over a year. It was tolerable but annoying at first, then turned into a PITA, then became a safety issue. I scoured all the boards looking for a fix. I had already tried the WD-40 and even electronic contact cleaner, but nothing seemed to work and neither solved the problem. I dreaded removing the top of the dash which is the recommended procedure. Removing the radio was also said to be possible, if you have small hands. That option didn't excite me either.

While doing my research I did read some comments that stated a device built for LED tail lights solved this problem. I went to the website, read the description and was surprised that this simple device was available, affordable and was easy to install.

I called the phone listed, purchased the item, followed the instructions and in less than 30 minutes, my problem was solved. If you are having this same turn signal issue, I strongly urge you to order this part and if you can remove 4 easy to get to #15 Torx screws, you can fix this while having a cup of coffee.

Corvette Enhancements

As many of you have or will have, I had been suffering with turn signal issues for over a year. It was tolerable but annoying at first, then turned into a PITA, then became a safety issue. I scoured all the boards looking for a fix. I had already tried the WD-40 and even electronic contact cleaner, but nothing seemed to work and neither solved the problem. I dreaded removing the top of the dash which is the recommended procedure. Removing the radio was also said to be possible, if you have small hands. That option didn't excite me either.

While doing my research I did read some comments that stated a device built for LED tail lights solved this problem. I went to the website, read the description and was surprised that this simple device was available, affordable and was easy to install.

I called the phone listed, purchased the item, followed the instructions and in less than 30 minutes, my problem was solved. If you are having this same turn signal issue, I strongly urge you to order this part and if you can remove 4 easy to get to #15 Torx screws, you can fix this while having a cup of coffee.

Corvette Enhancements
If you want to spend a few more minutes "fixing" an issue of this type, you can do it for about $13, not $69. An EL-12 flasher from your favorite auto parts store and a little labor will do the same thing. Below is the procedure for DIY Flasher Bypass.

CG

Attachments

• C5_Turn-Signal Bypass.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 571
Flasher problems

Nick,
Thanks for the info...looks simple enough and eliminates that PITA dash/ switch removal!

:w :thumb :beer

Thanks again!

If you want to spend a few more minutes "fixing" an issue of this type, you can do it for about $13, not $69. An EL-12 flasher from your favorite auto parts store and a little labor will do the same thing. Below is the procedure for DIY Flasher Bypass.

CG

I decided to visit my local Advanced Auto last evening and pick up an EL12. With PA tax it cost just under $14. This morning I decided to tackle the job and found the following:
Total time involved: About 30 minutes, start to finish.
For our 2000, I had to remove 2-#15 Torx screws from the bottom of the panel, and one Phillips head screw at the air sensor. I carefully pried away the panel and disconnected the 2 wiring connectors, one for the sensor, the other for the driving/hatch switches. Locating the harness was easy (credits to CG, AKA Nick), and I decided to give myself a little extra working room, so after cutting the pink and purple wires, I added 6" of 16ga. wire to the female terminals, then crimped them on, connected the flasher, test all, and reversed the panel removal procedures. I tucked the flasher adjacent to the lower driverside front console after wrapping 1/4" foam around the flasher - for rattle, protection and ease of replacement, if necessary. A Piece of Cake!!!!! Thanks!!!!

:w

I decided to visit my local Advanced Auto last evening and pick up an EL12. With PA tax it cost just under $14. This morning I decided to tackle the job and found the following:
Total time involved: About 30 minutes, start to finish.
For our 2000, I had to remove 2-#15 Torx screws from the bottom of the panel, and one Phillips head screw at the air sensor. I carefully pried away the panel and disconnected the 2 wiring connectors, one for the sensor, the other for the driving/hatch switches. Locating the harness was easy (credits to CG, AKA Nick), and I decided to give myself a little extra working room, so after cutting the pink and purple wires, I added 6" of 16ga. wire to the female terminals, then crimped them on, connected the flasher, test all, and reversed the panel removal procedures. I tucked the flasher adjacent to the lower driverside front console after wrapping 1/4" foam around the flasher - for rattle, protection and ease of replacement, if necessary. A Piece of Cake!!!!! Thanks!!!!

:w
Great! I'm glad I could share some knowledge. It is always appreciated when I can use some small bits of information other people have learned.

CG

CG

Hey,

i did it that way but have a big problem now. The right flasher works perfectly but nothing works on the left side. The hazzard flasher works well on all four edges.

Did someone has an idea?

Andy,
It sounds to me that you may have not crimped a wire hard enough to make the electrical connection, you may have pulled a wire loose, thus not making contact, or the connector(s) might not be tight. I'd have to say it's in the wiring if it had been working. Check all our wires and connections,let us know what you find, and good luck!:CAC

It may be possible you cut the wrong wire(s). I apologize for the low resolution picture image.

Go back and double check to make sure you cut the right wires (and you have used the correct "ends" of the wires) and as RCH105 said, be certain no wires came loose from the new flasher.

I would suspect that if one of the two wires came loose from the flasher you would not have any operation at all from the turn signals, but I have not tested that.

I'm following this thread...

I know this has probably been told, but could you please briefly describe the problem so in case my friends describe this problem.

Thanks,

Chuck M

Andy,
Before you started this flasher modification, did your turn signals work properly? You never stated why you were doing this modification.

There would be two reasons a) using LED type bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs, and b) there was something wrong with the OE turn signal circuit.

If you have cut the correct larger purple and pink wires and connected the EL-12 flasher correctly, then the turn signals should work.

Don't mean to sound insensitive, but are you color blind? Maybe have someone else look at the wire colors.

CG

So let me tell you the whole story:
in the middle of last year i had the problem that my flasher front left does not work anymore and the flasher back left goes quick. I fixed that by change to a new original hazzard flasher. From that on everything works fine.

And now, nearly one year later i had exactly the same problem again. I also changed to LED lights in the back, but they flash fast.

So i tried to fix it with the bypass. And it works very well for the right side, but with the bypass i have NO (not front left and not back left) flasher on the left side. So i put the wires back together without the bypass and had the same as before:
no flash front left and fast flash back left!

Just wanted to say thanks to CG for the flasher mod. Bought a 2000 convertible M6 last week and the turn signals went out yesterday. I'm pretty handy with wiring so I decided to cut the wires and put the electronic flasher in place. Took me all of 20 minutes. Unfortunately, a former owner seems to have been less than careful removing the dash panel, and the panel was broken where the two upper screws connect it to the dash. Having a PhD in RE (redneck engineering), I fixed it by epoxying a couple of 1/4" washers I had sitting around to the panel. The epoxy is curing now. Probably could have gotten away with the 5 minute epoxy, but the two hour stuff is 50% stronger and I'm not going anywhere tonight...

Also, for those looking for LED bulbs, there are several places online that sell them for a lot cheaper than Autozone and places like that. What's the policy on posting links to non-sponsoring vendors on this forum?

........Also, for those looking for LED bulbs, there are several places online that sell them for a lot cheaper than Autozone and places like that. What's the policy on posting links to non-sponsoring vendors on this forum?
Hi stonebreaker - and welcome to the :CAC Always glad to have a new member that's handy with a wrench and willing to share 'fixes' and maintenance ideas with the membership! :thumb

As for your question: best case scenario, we prefer that members support the vendors that support our site. But we don't slam the door on every member that posts a link to an non-supporting vendor.

Sharing info is what our site is all about and as our Vettes get older, sometimes parts availability is scarce.

Check this forum here ---> Supporting Vendor / Dealer News / Groupbuys / Specials Area to see if any of our Supporting Vendors have the part you're looking to find.

Of course, a BUSINESS owner trying to advertise for free in our forums is an entirely different matter. And we respond to those posts quickly and decisively. :L

Again, welcome aboard! And thank you for asking!
:wJane Ann

OK, I was looking at a site that had some 3157 LED bulbs listed for $65 apiece. They are a car place, but didn't see them listed in the vendors forum. Anyway, there's several sites out there that specialize in LED's, not necessarily for cars, but they have car applications. I originally found the site while I was looking for ways to put indirect lighting in my boat. So I went back yesterday after reading that some members are putting LED's in their brake lights and turn signals. I found the same turn signal bulb for $25.

Just google SuperbrightLEDs.

Please help....Installed EL-12 now no fronts at all!

CG

I installed the EL-12 exactly as written in the document. pink and purple wires making sure the correct wire went to the X and L on the flasher. Then the front signals dont work at all not when 4 ways or blinkers but the blinker no longer blinks at double time.

Before I did this the blinkers all 4 worked when the hazard button was pressed but the fronts did not work from the blinker switch. And no matter which choice they would blink at double time. This does not make sense. Oh and all of the lights work when I turn on the headlights. so the bulbs are good.

Only thing I was not sure of was the wires I taped off. I taped them off individually. Should they have been tied together? I would think not but it is all I could think could have missed.

Any help or suggestons would be great!

CG

Hi all, just wanted to reply quickly to say this EL-12 fix is GREAT. It's an easy affordable fix that I had finished within 30mins.

Thanks,
Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom