Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turn Signal won't work

R

rhatala

Trun Signal won't work

Help again.....

Had my complete dash apart because the dash lights were not working. Now that I fixed the dash lights and am ready to put the dash back on, I find that the signal lights do not work. I checked the fuse and that is OK, however, There appears to be 2 flashers, one on the fuse box and the other (can;t remember where it was), but it had a capacitor attached to the two connectors on the flasher unit. I can't seem to remember where the flasher was located. Can anyone help me out on this? Or was this just another senior moment?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Turn Signals

rhatala, I'm assuming that the turn signals did work before you took the dash apart?. The flasher relay (round thingy) should be the one that plugs into the fuse block, if I'm not mistaken. With the key on unplug it and using a test light check to see if you have any power at one of the terminals. If you do, the flasher relay may be no good. But make sure you take a few extra minutes and check for any loose or disconnected wires under the dash. There isn't much room under there and things can be "jarred" loose easily. Later I will find my schematics and trace the turn signal circuit for other possibilities. Let us know how you make out. I'm sure someone else out there might be able to help.
:w Sarge

Sarge... Thanks for the reply

Yes, the signal lights did in fact work before I took the dash apart to fix the dash lights. I remember taking a flasher unit from under the dash somewhere that had a capacitor across the 2 contacts. Don't know where that unit was. I can see another flasher attached to the fuse panel but that is a second flasher. I know that this doesn't seem right what I am writing, but never the less, I have 2 flashers. I did test the fuse at the fuse box for the flashers and that was OK.

Any other ideas?

Bob
:confused :s

The flasher unit with the capacitor across it is the "Directional Signal Flasher" it is located on the fuse panel bottom right side. The capacitor goes across the contacts and is a filter for the radio, am signal. I can't remember what the micro farad value is of the capacitor.. for some reason .47 mf comes to mind (?)

The flasher unit located at the top of the fuse panel is the "Hazard Flasher"

Mine develop a short in the steering column, last year... what a pita that was.. :( Good Luck

When you say the turn signals don't work, do you mean the lights on the corners of the car or the indicators in the dash. If you mean the indicators, they won't work until they are plugged into the back of the dash and the grounds to the back of the dash are connected. The lights are positive and need a ground source. Had this problem and did not want to put the dash back together again until it was fixed and finally figured this out.

Bob

I originally removed the dash to fix the dash lights that were not working. I remember removing the signal flasher unit (the one with the capacitor), but now cannot find where the signal flasher plugs in. I can see the hazzard flasher unit that is plugged into the fuse block upper left. Can someone help me figure out where the directional signal flashed plugs in. Someone wrote and said that it was bottom right on or below the fuse block . I cannot find where to plug it in. Does it plug into a socket on the end of a couple of wires, or does it plug in somewhere else?

Wiring on a Corvette ... #@%*&)(%##

:bash beating my head over this one.

Bob

Bob I believe that flasher is under your right hand side lower dash pad to the right of your radio. Chuck

chuck said:
Bob I believe that flasher is under your right hand side lower dash pad to the right of your radio. Chuck

That's where mine is.

- Eric :w

Turn Signal

The connector colors are

A 14 gauge purple

and the other pin has 2 pinks on it.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom