Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ugh...intake manifold needs to come off again!

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
After looking at the distributor some more, it appears that when the pad was machined for the distributor to sit on, it was done at a slight angle. So the manifold needs to come off AGAIN, only this time I need to take it to a machine shop that can knock off around 0.080 to 0.100" off the pad on one side to get it to sit level.

If I don't do this I run the risk of having an oil leak. If the distributor sits too low, they sell a shim kitto shim it back up, but at least it would be uniform all the way around.....

Comments or thoughts?

IMG_24932-vi.jpg

I would think this should be the problem of the person you bought the manifold from.

I am no engineer but, There has to be a height off of the cams gear that the bottom of the distributor gear has to connect to. So how do you know how much you have to machine? and what is the actual level plane you need.

I suggest discussing this with the vendor of the manifold.

I would think this should be the problem of the person you bought the manifold from.

I am no engineer but, There has to be a height off of the cams gear that the bottom of the distributor gear has to connect to. So how do you know how much you have to machine? and what is the actual level plane you need.

I suggest discussing this with the vendor of the manifold.

Also check the clearance on the oil driveshaft. One of the missed items that will kill a engine is a oil drive shaft that is pushing down on the oil pump causing it to fail. What happens is the pump gears jam down on the end plate and wearing out the gears and sending metal thu the engine along with the low oil pressure.

I dunno...this is the SAME problem that I had, same symptoms but I had the added benefit of running it for a couple of years before I figured out what the hell happened. In my case, through the process of deduction, I decided that the heads were machined incorrectly.

If I were you, since the engine is accessible, I would have everything possible re-measured to find the culprit.

In order to just keep my engine on the street, and before I completed my assessment, I sealed the intake manifold with the expensive Permatex stuff, sealed the front and rear lifter valleys with RTV plus the original gaskets AND used two distributor gaskets to keep all the oil where it should be. You have your work cut out for you.

My fix? New heads and intake manifold. And a centrifugal supercharger, BUT i digress.

Good luck!

After looking at the distributor some more, it appears that when the pad was machined for the distributor to sit on, it was done at a slight angle. So the manifold needs to come off AGAIN, only this time I need to take it to a machine shop that can knock off around 0.080 to 0.100" off the pad on one side to get it to sit level.

If I don't do this I run the risk of having an oil leak. If the distributor sits too low, they sell a shim kitto shim it back up, but at least it would be uniform all the way around.....

Comments or thoughts?

http://images20.fotki.com/v360/photos/2/280699/1046974/IMG_24932-vi.jpg
it is suppost to be on a angle they all are

Also check the clearance on the oil driveshaft. One of the missed items that will kill a engine is a oil drive shaft that is pushing down on the oil pump causing it to fail. What happens is the pump gears jam down on the end plate and wearing out the gears and sending metal thu the engine along with the low oil pressure.
this is not the problem.....if it sits down with out a clamp, and then you add the gasket, that gives enough clearance....

thanks for looking!

Herb

it is suppost to be on a angle they all are
this might be a dumb question then, but how do you seal it with such a large difference between one side and the other? It is off by over 0.080" on one edge and the other edge the distributor is sitting flat.

The gasket they give isn't thick enough to cover that difference....do you have any photos that shows that kind of difference?

I will gt an end photo tonight might make it more clear the issue.....

If I have to take it off, I was going to measure how much of a gap on one side and hae the shop set it up to clip that much off the other side.....to get it FLAT.....

Herb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom