Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Uh oh!!

u2bdet

Corvette
sized.jpgOK so after the interior resto , gas gauge wasnt working , so I took out the cluster plugged and unplugged the connector ...nothing, put the cluster back in and checked again , everything working ,except fuel gauge, checked lights and poof of smoke out a/c vent...pulled cluster and when I turned on the lights again the upper right section of the circuit board was GLOWING see red circled area (that cant be good...LOL) :mad
Ordered new board,arrived today ,should I just put the new one in and hope for the best and think that the smoke and burning was due to my wiggling around the connector??
Also do the light sockets go back in a specific order/location ?? (Blue ones have me thinking ..but lights and gauges were fine untill this mess )
Thanks
Neal
Going to wait on a consensus before I proceed
Ever notice that most of my threads start with HELP!!! ....:hb

THAT does not look good!!!
there is no order to the lights...
do you have a factory service manual????start checking the wiring that feeds that cluster.
I would start checking and cross checking to see what caused the burn...
something had to short out...

Circuit boards don't just fry on their own. I would be looking at the wiring for the gas gauge. Is it maybe pinched and grounding out? Possibly a screw is poked through it somewhere. Use an ohm meter and check the plug that connects to the board for a ground. A wiring schematic would be helpful. Good luck.

I would check for any visible damage or frayed wires, move around the connectors and make sure the pins in the connector are not loose or broken, possibly shorting.

I don't know the lights go back in a specific order or not, I don't think it would cause a problem if you put them in the wrong place as far as doing any damage.

Do you have multi meter?

That printed wiring run took a lot of current. Did you put the guage cluster back in with the battery connected? could you have shorted one of the studs to chassis ground as you where assembling the guage. Always disconnect the battery doing this type of work. I am always in a to much of a hurry to remove the positive from the battery , but this is the result.

If it was not during the assembly process, trace the two ends of the burned run, and then begin to check what they are connected to. One of the two ends has a short from power to ground. Take your time and check things or you will get to buy another one!

All ok

Checked all the wires, connections etc , no issues , took a chance and put the new board in ...everything INCLUDING the Fuel gauge is functioning.
:happyanim:Only thing I can think of now is something hit something ...

Gauge Cluster was installed with 2 things at the ready a FIRE EXTINGUISHER and a SIX PACK ...couldnt decide if I was going to put out the fire or have a beer and watch her burn !!!
:joke

Thanks again for all your replys!!!

Neal

:w Neal,

It is great when results are reported back :dance :thumb

Too many folks take the advice, and leave everyone hanging as to what happened :eek
Thanks for letting us know the out come... Now about that Six Pack that wouldn't be Budweiser would it :D

Thanks
Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom