Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Underhood fiberglass cleaning

Cabral

Corvette
1993 C4 Black Coupe, 2010 White Grand Sport
I bought a '93 last year and I noticed that there is a stain on the underside of the hood. It looks like the previous owner had some sort of a leak and it sprayed around the engine compartment. I've cleaned the underside of the hood with a Amorall plastic cleaner and simple green surface cleaner a couple of times. The stain looks like it fades away, but a day later after the cleaner has dried it seams to be back.

Has anyone had any experience with removing a stain like this? Any ideas or favorite cleaners you like to use?

its probably some antifreeze from a blown hose...

I doubt that there is much that can be done short of sanding it down and painting. Sometimes there is a chemical change when certain extreme PH things contact plastics or resins. Plain alcohol will ruin plastics in the interior...certain detergents will strip the oils out of some plastics and fiber glass.

Its a chemical exposure problem thats probably there to stay unfortunately.
The only suggestion that I have is to scrub with a scotch brite then apply armour-all and see if that helps blend it in. The other suggestion would be to clean the underside very well and apply some paint (black out) the under side.

I use a product called Shine All that is a basic spray that gives everything that used car look. However, it covers up stuff like that well, and if you give it a wipe, it takes away most of the gloss leaving a "new" look to it. Might try a similar product, even Pledge (I use it on the door handles/front spoiler) might work. Might try some tire shine as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to give them all a try (keeping the painting as the last resort). The scotch bright pad with simple green concentrate is helping.

My neighbor suggested Mothers Back to Black. Any comments on that stuff?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to give them all a try (keeping the painting as the last resort). The scotch bright pad with simple green concentrate is helping.

My neighbor suggested Mothers Back to Black. Any comments on that stuff?

Worth a shot!!:thumb

I'v used metal polish and cleaner, it's a lot of work but it does help.

I detail the engine and hood with Advance auto parts spray tire shine.

yep...

thats a short cut that I figered out as well....spray the tire shine stuff on everything thats rubber, plastic or black and it looks new for a few days until the dust collects...spray off and repeat. I use it on hoses...pretty much everywhere underhood. Aluminum wheel wash on aluminum suspension, with GREAT care to avoid getting a single drop on the composite spring. Instant spring failure.

Once every few months I'll jack it up and degrease and pressure wash the undercarraige. Lot of work but my bottom is clean....:chuckle

If you use the back to black stuff, make sure it does not come in contact with water! If it does the back to black stuff will run off and allow the hood to fade again. :ugh

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. It seams like the simple green and scrubbing pad worked for a few weeks. Unfortunately the stain is back. I'm going to try the Back to Black next. Tell ya how it goes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom