Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Underlayment, Jute pading, heat barrier, sound deadener

ironman

Corvette
65 coupe 69 coupe
I was wounding what to put under the carpet? My 1965 had so little carpet and jute padding left. Also i know you need the firewall insulation, but does it have padding under the insulation? One last issue in the ordering catalog i see many types of under the carpet situations, i see jute padding, heat barrier kit, carpet underlayment, insulation, sound deadening, so i am wondering which combination do most people use?

Welcome to the CAC

As I get closer to this stage on my '59 I have questions on this topic too. Anyone who has driven one of the earlier cars on a daily basis knows how much heat transfers through the floor/firewall/transmission tunnel into the cockpit. I can't see why you would need any padding on the firewall but an extra layer of heat barrier would be good. If you have the complete interior out and have full access to the firewall I would seriously consider starting with a layer of Lizard Skin. It is a spray on that builds very little thickness and does a great job. If not, the factory insulation is satisfactory. One of the pre cut kits for the floor is easiest to install. Complete coverage of the trans tunnel and taped seams are vital. I see some vendors have sound insulation and separate heat barrier kits. Together they are supposed to have minimal thickness so you don't notice them under the carpet. Dyna Mat is one of the top names but Eastwood makes very good products too. You can buy extra product to custom make pieces for inside the doors, kick panels firewall rear bulkhead and anywhere the floor kit doesn't cover.

I know it isn't NCRS correct to do this but I also know how unbearably hot it gets in one of these in the summer when it's raining and you can't have any windows open or the cowl vent on the C1s. Hopefully others will chime in that have done this already.

Tom

I put new carpet down a few years ago. (It's been 7 or 8 years)..I also installed Reflectix from Home Depot. Its probably not called that, but its bubble wrap between foil sheets...in the insulation area. Comes in a roll that had left overs. Heavy duty duct tape and covered it nicely for the next layer of jute type carpet under layment. I covered the layer just as I did the Reflectix and then put down carpet.

What I learned is that you end up with rather thick carpet...maybe an extra 3/8 inch. You don't want to put it under the area where your gas pedal needs to go down. It sounds odd but it happens, now and then you want to know how everything feels and an extra pad under the pedal hinders just a bit.

You have to remember though that heat will eventually win. For instance during the Woodward Dream Cruise we go about 5 miles in a couple hours. Its August and the heat eventually finds a way through. But just riding as usual, heat is no longer an issue.

But the added bonus is sound proofing. I have headers and before this project the factory setup made it hard to talk at freeway speed.
After though, the cockpit is the perfect blend of engine, exhaust, cruisin tunes and conversation with my wife as we tool down the freeway.......
I hope this helps. The photos I had of this project were lost when village photo went away.
Good luck....Chas

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom