Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update: Magnesium Wheels

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From Chevrolet Dealer News:

Be advised that effective immediately, Magnesium Wheel (N73) will be available for ordering on the 2002 Model Year Corvette Coupe and Convertible. This is the same Magnesium Wheel that was available in the 2001 Model Year. The price for this option has been reduced to $1,500 MSRP. This wheel, however, is only available in a limited quantity. Once the supply has been depleted, this option (N73) will no longer be available.

I just don't know why someone would want these wheels they chip real easy you have to use tape weights on the out side of the wheel so you have to get them painted or they look real bad. Trying to do an aligment on a car with them is a real pain because of the fact that they can chip real easy so you have to grab them from the out side and hope you will be OK. I would strongly recomend people get something else they will be much happer in the long run.

David Fulcher

• Admin
David-F said:
I just don't know why someone would want these wheels they chip real easy you have to use tape weights on the out side of the wheel so you have to get them painted or they look real bad. Trying to do an aligment on a car with them is a real pain because of the fact that they can chip real easy so you have to grab them from the out side and hope you will be OK. I would strongly recomend people get something else they will be much happer in the long run.

David Fulcher

Well....yeah....but they look really cool! :D :)

I'm just kidding with you. I understand where you're coming from. From a usability standpoint, they are not the most efficient wheels on the market, but I do have to admit, I think they look really awesome. :)

Yes but only on the right color car, they look real bad on silver, I don't like them on yellow either.

David Fulcher

I don't think they look to good on Pewter Vettes either. They seem to clash with the color.

Any pictures of the mag wheels around? I don't believe I've seen this wheel anywhere, either in a photo or installed on the C5. They must have been pretty rare and if supply is limited, will continue to be rare.

Anybody know what the weight difference is between the Mag, the high-polished option wheel, and the stock painted aluminum wheels?

thanks,
Michael

• Admin
MacShee98 said:
Any pictures of the mag wheels around? I don't believe I've seen this wheel anywhere, either in a photo or installed on the C5. They must have been pretty rare and if supply is limited, will continue to be rare.

Anybody know what the weight difference is between the Mag, the high-polished option wheel, and the stock painted aluminum wheels?

thanks,
Michael

Here you go:

Magnesium Wheels - Chromed?

I have magnesium wheels on the mag-red 2000 C5 ... I like the magnesium wheel style but would prefer a chromed wheel. Does anyone know if the magnesium wheel can be chromed?

Magnesium Wheels - Chromed?

Well, from a performance standpoint, magnesium wheels are real high tech stuff. They are lighter and stronger (and far more expensive) than chrome wheels. If chrome is the way you want to go, you can sell you mag wheels on ebay, and then buy the chrome wheels. Or, you can just contact a wheel dealer and tell him what you want to do. Any dealer in their right mind would be glad to swap a $3,000 set of magnesium wheels for a $1500 set of chrome.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom