Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

updated front bumper

I don't have any lock nuts, but will likely get some. I also think that there is some plastic that needs to get grinded down. I'll get to this soon I hope.

I was looking on e-bay and saw a 78 where they had fiberglassed the bumpers to the body. I though it looked great. Anyone had any experience like that? Will there be any problems of flexing and then popping the seam apart??

Although this may look pretty good, I think you are best not doing that.

If you would happen to pull too close to a curb or hit something, the shock will travel through the entire body of the car. The result will be fiberglass cracking and buckling everywhere. (bumper, wheel wells, fender)

If the bumper is a separate piece, it has a greater chance of taking most or all of the damage, without transferring the destructive force to the rest of the body.

...just a thought, but it does look good.

Allrighty. I shaved off a little of the black-plastic, honeycomb thing, so that the bumper can slide all the way into place. I did NOT have to cut off any of that metal lip.

For those that have installed one of these "80-style" front bumpers, how do the grills attach? Inquiring minds want to know!

On my 73 and 77. I didn't have to cut any metal off the reinforcement and used the stock retainers. I would not use the individual retainers, as they don't give an even clamp load across the bumper.

Artsvette,
How do the grills attach? It appears that the grills are supposed to attach to the new bumper and not in the stock location. (which is on the frame.)

looks like you have the same front spoiler as me. I changed my front bumper to a 82. there are tabs on the bumper inside that the grills mount to... if not you'll probaly have to fabricate ones.. when I installed a 96 rear bumper on mine, I had to fab brackets so the 96 lights would fit..

Artsvette,
How do the grills attach? It appears that the grills are supposed to attach to the new bumper and not in the stock location. (which is on the frame.)

The bumpers did not have tabs attached to it, however they came with fiberglass parts to attach to the bumper for that purpose.

Before I could figure out how they worked, I had already fashioned some brackets for the passenger side. My driver's side grill was cracked, so I ordered a new one (which I now have.) Now, I just need to find some metal strips to use for the brackets, since I used up my supply.

after reading your posts am in no hurry to start on mine i just got new front and back covers for my 75 both trueflex

I had purchased a TruFlex for my car back when I was going to have it painted. The one I got was in no way going to fit. The fabrication on it was waaay off. I had to send it back and ended up just refurbing my existing bumper.

Yeah, my bumper work is going s-l-o-w. Unfortunately, my bathroom could not wait any longer for an update. :bash It will get a complete makeover, so my hands are full right now.

I just need a weekend or 2 to get both bumpers fitted properly.

Brackets?

Hi Vic,

Care to fashion some extra brackets? Please send me some pics of them and how much you would charge. I got a 1976 with an 80-82 front end from my dad and he didn't have the grilles in. My bumper doesn't have the tabs mentioned in this thread.

thanks!

The bumpers did not have tabs attached to it, however they came with fiberglass parts to attach to the bumper for that purpose.

Before I could figure out how they worked, I had already fashioned some brackets for the passenger side. My driver's side grill was cracked, so I ordered a new one (which I now have.) Now, I just need to find some metal strips to use for the brackets, since I used up my supply.

Hmmm

I actually would consider that if I had a 4th garage stall. Thanks again for the information. I was able to fashion some brackets and get the original grilles to work!

I ended up taking some scrap metal (from a stereo install kit) and bent the straps into 90 degree "L" shapes. The grilles were inserted into the bumper and I cut the brackets to the right size. I drilled holes into the bumper where it was not too noticable.

It works good for me!

If you want, I can sell you my brackets. But they come with the whole car! hehe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=200229163859&rd=1

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom