Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Used C4 Market (Beware, im venting inside)

:D Never been real good at figuring when to sell for max $$$$ but sure have got a lot of bang for buck in 35+ years of Vettes!! Right now C-4 is that Vette. Enjoy the hunt for the next one// OH and I learned early only way to get paid much for mods was to remove them and sell them! :beer

Mods not only hurt the value of the C4 but make it extremely hard to sell as well. A modded car that still needs work is what we used to call a "basket case" (no insult intended to the OP) and will never bring anywhere near fair market value for the year/model/mileage base car. Look at the cars on dealers lots, you will rarely see a car that is modded in any but the simplest way (wheels, cat-back) because the dealers know they will have a hard time selling them at any price. The market has stayed fairly stable in my opinion. Ten years ago you could find 85-87's on dealers lots all day long for $5500. Today you can buy them for the same price in decent shape. I think they are a good buy though not my cup of tea.

I consider myself knowledgeable about cars in general and very familar with Chevrolets pre computer. When I looked for my vette (looked for a year) I never considered cars with engine/transmission mods. I knew that modding a computer controlled car is a lot different than a '69 Camaro. All the mods on a computer car must work together as well as with the computer. If not you end up with a car that is no fun to drive and will cost you a fortune and much grief. Now, the working together part may be true for the Camaro, but not to the extent of the computer controlled vette. Also, the older cars certainly had more room to work under the hood making things much easier.

Were I the OP, I'd put the car back to stock, sell it and the mods seperately. JMHO

Mods not only hurt the value of the C4 but make it extremely hard to sell as well.
I think that's pretty much a truism for all the cars, all years. Any mods other than back to stock using NOS parts, it's gonna be a tricky sell.

Like if someone wanted to buy my car. I know my car is waaaay better than any stock 1980 in terms of performance (and looks, IMHO). However, selling my car for what I believe it's worth would be damn hard. Even if I tried to sell it for less than it's worth, I'd have to find someone that wants the car almost exactly as I have it and realize the worth of the various changes versus starting with a stock car and doing it all himself. There's still plenty of stock vettes out there should someone want to do the changes themselves.
And on top of all this, I think the general consensus is that if someone has gone to the trouble of building up their car, they have probably operated the car in the fashion of their intent for the upgrades. Meaning that one is more likely to drive a modified car harder than they would a stock car. And that makes some buyers leary. ;shrug
It is what it is. :)

I think that's pretty much a truism for ALL the cars, ALL years. Any mods other than back to stock using NOS parts, it's gonna be a tricky sell
You paint with a pretty broad brush when you say ALL cars and ALL years.

While it takes the right buyer a well done modded car will bring much more than a stock one.
Example at Barrett Jackson all original 55 Chevy will bring low fifty's
I saw a highly modded 55 sell for $ 205,000.00 4 times what a stock all original would have brought.
Did the seller get his money back probably not but to say a nice modded car will not sell or that you have to give it away is only true with the shade tree modded cars.
I think you are correct for most but I have a problem with your use of the word ALL

Evolution1980 said:
I think that's pretty much a truism for ALL the cars, ALL years. Any mods other than back to stock using NOS parts, it's gonna be a tricky sell.

You paint with a pretty broad brush when you say ALL cars and ALL years.

While it takes the right buyer a well done modded car will bring much more than a stock one.
Example at Barrett Jackson all original 55 Chevy will bring low fifty's...
...well, it's the subtleties in my words. "pretty much a truism" and "a tricky sell" that act as the qualifier for "ALL cars and ALL years".

Yes, I agree a well modded car is going to fetch more than a stock car. But with the understanding that both cars are in mint condition, the asking price for the modded car is going to be more because there's likely much more money invested in it, thus the final selling price is going to be naturally higher.

Mentioning anything selling at B-J typically gets an :eyerole from me. Yes, there are nice cars there. Are there are some big dollar cars there, but a good handful of those cars are waaaaay overpriced IMHO. The B-J auctions are a good place to take a "tricky sell" because there are people bidding with more dollars than sense. The B-J auction and the associated buyers & sellers represent a very small percentage of people buying vehicles.
Now back the real world outside of B-J, I believe one will have an easier time selling a mint condition stock car than a modded one. Otherwise it's gonna be a tricky sell because the seller will need to find someone that wants the upgraded, non-stock car exactly as it is. And I think that applies pretty much to all cars of all years.

...All that aside, it's like saying "Just about 100% of people". Or, in other words, "maybe around 98%". :)

What happens at the big name auctions with cars from the big name hot rod shops has absolutely no bearing on the used car market, which is what this thread is about.

What happens at the big name auctions with cars from the big name hot rod shops has absolutely no bearing on the used car market, which is what this thread is about.

I agree with that. The used car market is the used car market. But when it comes to the big name hot rod shops (Lingenfelter, DRM, TPIS, etc...), I would personally classify those as specialty.

When you go through a shop like that, you know what you're getting and everyone else knows what they're getting. Kind of on the same sense, I think it'd be a little less difficult to sell a modified car if the motor were a crate motor like the ZZ series as opposed to something that your local shop built.

But that's just my opinion.

Well it is official. The new owner arrived, enclosed car trailor and all....the car is officially sold. I feel confident my old car is in good hands.

Now the debate continues in my head.

LT4 -VS- LT5 -VS- LS1

:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom