Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Vacuum connection, L valve cover area

WhalePirot

Corvette
1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
My car is setup like an '87, but with a '90 speed density ECM. I've found a few incomplete vacuum diagrams ('86 and '87) online, but there is no diagram anywhere on this car and I find no vacuum schematic in the '84, '87 or '90 FSMs.

The aluminum tube, bolted to the intake manifold, adjacent to the driver side valve cover, has two vacuum ports, one angular plus one at the forward end. The angular port sucks from the PVC valve and the vapor recovery system

The other goes where?

I think I have everything correctly attached... except for this port! Thanks. :w

Last edited:
Disappointed by lack of reply, to say the least.

Last edited:
Vacuum goes to FPR, cruise, brake booster, EVAP can purge, EGR purge, can't remember 'em all. Need a pic...

Vacuum goes to FPR, cruise, brake booster, EVAP can purge, EGR purge, can't remember 'em all. Need a pic...
and PCV, I think does it. Thanks.

To the vac port on the intake ; drv side. Early TPI intake with CSI shown ; vac port is visible at top right of circled area

CSI-1.jpg

Thanks for that. I may redo some vac lines, but the SuperRam is a little different. If only I'd had that diagram...LOL

Below is a pic of mine. There is an aluminum tube, similar to the one on the right side, but with the two ports I mentioned; the angled one from the PVC and the other, forward at the tube's end is plugged, here. It's just aft of the bolt for the AIR pump brace; just this side of the #1 injector.

Is it crucial if any given device gets plenum vacuum or a TB port? :w
I think I have every unit that needs vacuum, getting it, though I am not sure I'll have enough for the cruise control with only 9" of engine vacuum.

Attachments

• VacPortsRintake.jpg
    VacPortsRintake.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 140
  • UnderSuperRam.jpg
    UnderSuperRam.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
vac

My car is setup like an '87, but with a '90 speed density ECM. I've found a few incomplete vacuum diagrams ('86 and '87) online, but there is no diagram anywhere on this car and I find no vacuum schematic in the '84, '87 or '90 FSMs.

The aluminum tube, bolted to the intake manifold, adjacent to the driver side valve cover, has two vacuum ports, one angular plus one at the forward end. The angular port sucks from the PVC valve and the vapor recovery system

The other goes where? to the intake manifold. Near the mid area under the plenum to a fitting on the intake. Other side is similar except it runs to the TB then to the valve cover.

I think I have everything correctly attached... except for this port! Thanks. :w
vvvv

No; the ports see all the same vac
I thought that was the case, but learned more about ported vacuum in another project.
The end with the cap was never open from the factory and didn't go anywhere. If it is open then some PO has done it Your PCV valve is the early (85/86 ) style that connects to the canister purge
Yes, that hose does double duty.

I built this car from an '84, some years ago, basically. The parts were sourced as I could find them, with less documentation that is around now.. no excuses, just real.

I like the low end torque of the SR, atop the longer stroke of the 406+, which also pulls hard thru the RPM band. That intake is well known to be hard to R/R and some have 'moved on' to others. All said, even a stocker has plenty of impediments to reaching the core of the engine and this setup goes a little farther.

So this SBC, running a speed density '90 ECM, uses the the MAF as plumbing only. The vacuum hose info came from wherever, and was working well enough to pass CA smog. Seems the vacuum bases are covered, but I don't like having the cap on that port.

Thanks for the support, guys. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom