Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vacuum parts needed

• Thread starter Thread starter BiZ
  • Start date Start date
B

BiZ

I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I looked over the troubleshooting article posted by Rob here. Very nice BTW. Although my motor is nowhere near that clean. I have been told that the leak is possibly a check valve. I called NAPA and they do not carry the check valves. I was wondering if there is a universial check valve that can be used or is the part ZR-1 specific?

I am going to be getting my spare top end ported soon and am thinking of just replacing all of the vacuum parts under the plenum with the kit sold by Kurt White. Would there be any negative repercussions of just unplugging the vacuum pump for the time being? I know at times the motor will not make enough vacuum to keep the secondaries open. But is that the only downside?

And also it seems that I am gettin some oil up through the crankcase breather hose. My oil pressure does seem high at times. I am getting oil seepage on the left bank where the plenum meets the injector housing. Is this something common?

TIA

BiZ, not for sure but it sounds like a particular GM part. And you're right as far as I know, the secondary vacuum pump won't really disturb anything if disc. I think a vacuum sys. that's in good order wouldn't even use the secondary pump in most cases anyway. Good luck with it.

Quick Fix

Jason,
go to AutoZone and get a vacuum check valve. You'll also need a couple pieces of hose to adapt it. I think I used a short piece of gas hose on Robin's car. Buy the check valve, figure out how it "checks" and put it into the driver's side vacuum line on the Plenum. the hose actually goes into the other end to connect it to the plenum. this will work until you pull the plenum and no need to unplug the vacuum pump and suffer another code "61" or whatever it was.

ted

Teds right,
Gordon showed me the same trick when my secondary solenoid valve went bad, worked great until I had time to replace it.

I don't think that there will be any adverse reactions by disconnecting the secondary port vacuum pump. In most cases, when it burns out, which they are prone to doing, you don't even know that it's burned out unless you specifically turn the ignition key and listen to it prime the system prior to ignition.

Mine was burned out until I ran that test and realized it wasn't working. As far as performance, I didn't notice anything different. I think that where the pump really comes into play here is when you are running at WOT for extended periods of time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom