Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve Cover Gaskets

Corvette
90 conv. auto, every option
I havent owned my vette (or A vette) for too long but the other day I noticed that my valve cover gaskets need replacing. SOOOOOOOOOO, I bought new ones and figured I could change then on my lunch hour or two, at least the one that is leaking. NO way, It is incredably fairly complicated to do this simple task. There is a lot of stuff to remove and I figure maybe a whold Saturday of accomplish. Any thoughts or shortcuts?????????

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center mauivette!

I don't remember if I welcomed you to our family before. :upthumbs

Sorry to tell you this Maui, but there are no "shortcuts" to changing your valve cover gaskets, everything seems to be in the way. The best way to go about it is to follow the service manual instructions to the letter. ;)

You also may want to be sure your using the rubber with steel core gasket (Summit). Chris turned me on to these and they are the best. You sure don't want to do it twice.
Just my .02

Carlo:SANTA

Are the OEM LT1/LT4/L98 style centerbolt gaskets the rubber design???

I want to remove my valve covers and clean them and replace the gaskets.. I can get GM OEM cheap, but I want the blue rubber type... are these the ones I'm looking for? The part # i'm looking at is 10108625?

Thanks
Steve

Not to be nitpickety, but I'm pretty sure the Summit gaskets everyone raves about are cork/metal, not rubber/metal. Got a set on CAC's recommendation; they go on easy and are re-usable.
[RICHR]

Fel-Pro Pro Series reusable....blue over metal....no leak...and reusable

The summit gasket is rubber over steel. I do not have the part # available at work but the guys over at summit can give you an answer easy enough.
Good Luck and Merry X-Mas

Steve92LT1 said:
Are the OEM LT1/LT4/L98 style centerbolt gaskets the rubber design???

I want to remove my valve covers and clean them and replace the gaskets.. I can get GM OEM cheap, but I want the blue rubber type... are these the ones I'm looking for? The part # i'm looking at is 10108625?

Thanks
Steve

yes, LT1's have rubber gaskets.... I am not sure on the part number though.

As you mentioned in your post due to the complexity of the work required to replace gaskets on a Vette, never use cheap gaskets. I learned this doing Chevrolet marine engines. I have had good luck with Fel-Pro gaskets in the past, however there are other good ones out there. If I remember right when I replaced the valve cover gaskets on the 84 I had to remove the alternator and the AC compressor, not a big deal just time consuming, good time to bead blast the covers and repaint them. Good time to install roller rocker arms too. Good luck 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Good News

Well, I went to United Auto Parts (NAPA) here and got the black rubber gaskets but while I was trying to figure out how to remove the drivers side valve cover I ran my finger along the top of the head and the bottom of the gasket, put the valve cover back down until I could talk to you guys and now I don't think I have that oil leak anymore. Good News. It was only about 1 drop every 30 seconds or so but it fell on some part of the exhaust system and smelled really bad. Now I have new valve cover gaskets next time I need them but with all the work to install.................................maybe I will wait for a while.

Thanks to one and all

Skip

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom