Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve cover gaskets

R

RedSee4

Anybody change their valve cover gaskets on a '90? I bought new polished valve covers and can't find a set of gaskets to put them on with. I have been to 6 different stores and they are all the same, too short. Some are too short by 3/4", some as much as 1 1/2". All were made by Felpro. I checked the new valve covers with the old valve covers and they match up. I would rather not reuse the old gaskets.

I can't imagine that you would have to stretch the gasket to fit on the valve cover??

Hey,

I just read this at digitalcorvettes too. OK, now for a dumb question. I was under the belief that C4's still used the original small block. Aren't the factory heads all the same size where the valve covers attach? I know over the course of years that the hole pattern was changed but thought the size was all the same.

If you can't find them anywhere else then I guess you'll hav to ge them from the dealer. Are they that much more expensive?

Good Luck
Morgan

I have changed mine a few weeks ago on my 1990. The gaskets fit just fine into the original magnesium covers. Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand nor the part number on them, but the first local parts store I called could get them in a day. I will call the parts store today and get the part number and brand then post it later on for you. I am not sure I'd use RTV, although it should seal well. If you had to remove them at some point in the future you'd probably find them pretty well stuck. RTV doesn't last forever (proven by the often-leaking rear manifold seal that causes oil leaks - the whole reason I was working on mine in the first place). Tim

I used Fel-Pro P/N VS 50088 R gaskets, they were a rubber like material, probably silicone. They were slightly short but they are made to stretch over the corner flanges of the cover, this holds them in place while you put them on. I wouldn't advise using silicone gasket sealer instead of the correct gaskets here, the stuff can ooze out inside the cover and possibly break off. This can clog up the works. Just put the caskets on a clean cover, and a clean mating surface on the heads. Torque to specs and you should be fine.

Yep, like Car Whisperer said.
I forget the part number but I used the Fel-Pro Dry Seal on my92 factory magnesium covers. I got them at Pep Boys for about $30. They're some sort of rubber/silicon material. You clean and dry both surfaces. The gasket is made to stretch. Once you stretch it around the corners that holds it in place while you are installing. You'll notice the ears on the corners might lift up a little. But they shouldn't pop out and let go. Don't use any gasket material at all.

I had the Felpro gasket VS 50088R. They were way to short. I am also replacing the valve covers. The magnesium covers are in rough shape. To make a long story short, I went to Chevy and ordered stock gaskets. They were only $10 each side. Similar to the Felpros, no RTV needed. They were only about 1/2" short. I put them on this weekend. I did have to stretch them a little, but they seemed fine. The engine looks sweet...Black intake with chrome valve covers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom