Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve Cover

02-TR-Z06

I removed cleaned and re-painted the drivers side Valve cover.... I don't know where to begin to remove the other one. I think it would be easer to pull the engine.

Any advice??

If you loosen the altenator bracket so you can move it out of the way a bit, it you should be able to wiggle it out of there:)

Jay

After I read an article in Corvette Fever I painted mine on the car just as they did in the article.Clean it up,mask area,you can use alumimun foil in some places. Paint using light coats.Spray some paint into a paper cup and use an artist brush to get any area you can't get spray on. Chuck

I removed cleaned and re-painted the drivers side Valve cover....
:eyerole

Makes you wonder if he can boil water!:nono

Riko:w

Covers

Riko,

That sure is a bright red car.

I have done this trick a few times. It is going to be hard to describe via this format, but here it goes.

First, you will need to drop the serpentine belt and disconnect the battery for saftey. there are four (10mm hex head) long bolts that go from the passenger side towards the center of the car that hold the a/c compressor to the bracket. You may need to remove the center inner fender skirt section to gain clean clear access.

Pull the A.I.R. valves off the upper bracket and slip the A.I.R. hoses and tubes off from the manifold pipe up. Pull the throttle body heater hose off at the throttle body and the rear coolant line off the intake.

Next, (13 or 14mm) bolts-yours could be torx head to remove the E.G.R. tube from the manifold. Be careful here and use some good penetrating oil. In fact, you should put the oil on before you start the whole job to give it time to soak.

Don't worry too much if you wring those bolts off, you can drill out and replace with a bolt and nut.

Use a torx to reach under the distributor with a long extesnion and remove the intake manifold side of the E.G.R. tube.

Okay, now you are ready to pull the valve cover bolts and wiggle and jiggle until you get it out.

NOTE-it is not always neccessary to take all these steps just to pull the cover. However, yours will be freshly painted and you don't want to force it back in as it would scracth off the new paint.

Now reverse the procedure.

Hey, better you than me.

I hate doing this job. I have also changed the valve stem seals on the car on 3 different C3s. You talk about standing on your head and juggling tools all Saturday afternoon. Two of those times I also painted the covers since I already had them apart.

Good luck.

painting the valve covers

Chris, I AM SO CONFUSED:confused Go back and read the post on this subject. It started with the wrong valve cover!! Then to make matter worse....my Vette is no RED! It is SNOWWHITE.....:t

But....I still love this forum, I think some of us should not drink :beer and then type on this forum.:s :s :s :s

Have a GOOD ONE GUYS:cool

RIKO

Re: painting the valve covers

TopDown94 said:
...I AM SO CONFUSED:confused Go back and read the post on this subject. It started with the wrong valve cover!!

OK RIKO, start over. :L Did you have it correct the first time, or was Jay heading (no pun intended) in the right direction when he told you about removing the driver's side valve cover?

I assumed you were correct in the opening to this thread when you referred to the valve cover that you removed, and that Jay had mis-interpreted that post, or just didn't read the post close enough (he has his parents visiting him this week so I can understand his momentary lapse of concentration).

So, even though we're still not clear as to which valve cover we're referring to here, we have covered all the bases, eh? ;)

Ken

Valve Covers

Ken.....we all should be able to remove BOTH valve covers now, without any problems. I love this forum!!:upthumbs Now lets have a :beer !

RIKO

What???

OK .. I hope I'm not the only one who is confused?!?!

Was it RIKO who took off the drivers side rocker cover or was it really 91Red6Sp. I think clearly, the latter! Who's most confused, Ken or Jay? Not Riko, not 91Red6Sp .. not me, .. Know what .. it doesn't matter!! But, it's time for a beer .. so, RIKO, I'm with you :beer LOL

Forget the beer, look what time in the a.m. I usually post to this forum. I am surprised I can even spell my name.

Riko's car or not, I still think that bright red looks awesome.

We painted the valve covers red with clear coat to match the red on our old 89. We also put a little red in the grooves on the top of the plenum and highlighted the "tuned port injection" on the throttle body with red. Made for a neat looking engine for a Saturday afternoon and $10 worth of paint.

JT ZR-Won said:
If you loosen the altenator bracket so you can move it out of the way a bit, it you should be able to wiggle it out of there:)

Jay

OOPS! My fault:crazy :L
Didn't mean to start all the confusion because I misread the post.

I got the next round :beer :D

Jay

Re: Covers

Thanks

looks like a long weekend job and a case of beer!

Chris McDonald said:
Riko,

I have done this trick a few times. It is going to be hard to describe via this format, but here it goes.

First, you will need to drop the serpentine belt and disconnect the battery for saftey. there are four (10mm hex head) long bolts that go from the passenger side towards the center of the car that hold the a/c compressor to the bracket. You may need to remove the center inner fender skirt section to gain clean clear access.

Pull the A.I.R. valves off the upper bracket and slip the A.I.R. hoses and tubes off from the manifold pipe up. Pull the throttle body heater hose off at the throttle body and the rear coolant line off the intake.

Next, (13 or 14mm) bolts-yours could be torx head to remove the E.G.R. tube from the manifold. Be careful here and use some good penetrating oil. In fact, you should put the oil on before you start the whole job to give it time to soak.

Don't worry too much if you wring those bolts off, you can drill out and replace with a bolt and nut.

Use a torx to reach under the distributor with a long extesnion and remove the intake manifold side of the E.G.R. tube.

Okay, now you are ready to pull the valve cover bolts and wiggle and jiggle until you get it out.

NOTE-it is not always neccessary to take all these steps just to pull the cover. However, yours will be freshly painted and you don't want to force it back in as it would scracth off the new paint.

Hey, better you than me.

I hate doing this job. I have also changed the valve stem seals on the car on 3 different C3s. You talk about standing on your head and juggling tools all Saturday afternoon. Two of those times I also painted the covers since I already had them apart.

Good luck.

Oops,

I just read my instructional post and realized I wrote C3 when I meant to say C4. It was suppose to say that I have done this on four different C4s.

I really need to drink my third cup of coffee before posting anything in the morning.:z

valve covers

Well, whichever one it is all I can add is to be sure that you have everything necessary out of the way so you can get the cover back on before the sealer skins over without smearing the sealer bead on some bracket or wire. I finally put gaskets on the '81 just because of this.

Tom

Re: Covers

Thanks for the help on this. Went by your instructions and had the cover off in about 45 min.

This Fourm and members are great!

Thanks
Denzil

Chris McDonald said:
Riko,

Hey, better you than me.

Good luck.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I pulled both my valve covers off my 88 and repainted, re installed on a Saturday. It was a PITA but well worth the effort. The gaskets seem to give me a little trouble staying in place. But all is well now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom