Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve seal question

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
I get a puff of smoke on start up on my '85 with just under 50K, and it seems to be the result of valve seals drying out (as explained by forumites). If I use 'high-mileage' oil, do you believe that it may solve this problem? If it does, what happens if I go back to what I am now using, which is Wal-Mart Synthetic? Or should I keep using it? This engine does not require Synthetic, so Wally Syn, should be better than normal dino, (that's my theory anyhow-now you could laugh). thanks:Steer

Why not replace the valve seals? It's not that tough of a job, nor too expensive.

Thanks toms94, but I don't want to get into replacing the seals now. I thought what I mentioned above would solve it somewhat. It's OK about the puff of smoke I can live with it for a while, I just thought the oil method would work.

Changing from Syn to rotten dinosaur juice may help if problem not too severe. I was getting puffs from time-to-time with my '95 (started at 20K). I'm sure its seals but I changed from Syn to 10w-40 with Marvel Mystery Oil (no joke for you youngsters out there) for two seasons. It totally stopped the intermittent puffing. Last year I switched back to Syn (too much guilt) and still don't get the puffs. Go figure. Give it a try. What do you have to loose?

Changing from Syn to rotten dinosaur juice may help if problem not too severe. I was getting puffs from time-to-time with my '95 (started at 20K). I'm sure its seals but I changed from Syn to 10w-40 with Marvel Mystery Oil (no joke for you youngsters out there) for two seasons. It totally stopped the intermittent puffing. Last year I switched back to Syn (too much guilt) and still don't get the puffs. Go figure. Give it a try. What do you have to loose?

Ah yes, Marvel Mystery Oil, good stuff, I'm glad there is still some one who remembers this great product!

Tom

Do you think Marvel Mystery Oil will loosen too must 'stuff' and cause more problems?

I can't imagine that it would cause any other problems, but then again I've never used the stuff.

Do you think Marvel Mystery Oil will loosen too must 'stuff' and cause more problems?

It was actually sold as a "top end lubricant" (great for winterizing an outboard motor!)
Can't say if it loosen anything up.

Tom

Castrol high mileage did reduce my first start puff (and oil leak amounts) as compared to synthetic (mobil 1) - but it's only a bandaid, seals gotta be replaced.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom